עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I guess the gist of this so far is that if we are using wild woods for heat, then the little bit of fruit wood probably isn't much of a risk?

Mark! Good to know you are still alive. When can you get down to Marietta for a beer?
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #32
jasonjax
is One Chatty Farker

What you really have to watch out for these days is that dihydrogen oxide!
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #33
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
What you really have to watch out for these days is that dihydrogen oxide!
Nice. I thought CO2 is going to kill us off.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #34
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

All my apple and cherry is from residential removal. I don't use orchard stuff at any cost. I can't prove there's any harm in using orchard stuff but if I had a choice I'd go with residential fruitwoods or forest hardwoods like oak, maple etc.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Here is the answer I received from the ISU Extension.

The following response was provided by Donald Lewis, an Iowa State University extension entomologist.

Pesticides such as insecticides and fungicides applied to orchards have short residual times, measured in days and weeks, not months and years. Any residues that were on the trunk or branch wood would have long dissipated in the 2+ years the wood is curing as firewood.

Further, insecticides used in a commercial orchard are not systemic; they would not be located in the wood of the trunk, they would be located on the bark. Removal of the bark would eliminate all residues.

And finally, from what I've been told, removing the bark before barbequing or grilling is preferred as bark sometimes imparts an off flavor as it burns. Again, removal of the bark solves the issue.

Data on persistence of pesticides is not easy to find. Sometimes it is on the MSDS, other times you find it by searching online. Below is persistence information for two common Iowa apple orchard pesticides. You can find information for products of concern by requesting a pesticide application record from the commercial orchard and looking up the half life of the products used.

Imidan insecticide (one of the older and more persistent insecticides) has a half-life of 3 to 19 days. See http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...osmet-ext.html Scroll down to "Environmental Fate."

Assail is a newer, popular broad spectrum insecticide. Though the concentrated insecticide is toxic, the label directions state that fruit can be harvested 7 days after spraying (another indication of how little time the products persist).

Richard

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 12:26 PM
To: hortline@iastate.edu
Subject: Ask an Expert Question

Is there any residue from pesticides left on wood harvested from commercial orchards? The harvested wood will be used to smoke and cook food.
Could you send links to any supporting documentation?

Thank you.
Bryan Maunu
Class of 1991

Sent from my iPhone

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #36
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Honestly, I'd be more worried about following a school bus to work several days a week. Those things put out nasties in the air. BBQ? Not worried in the least.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #37
btcg
Babbling Farker

Speaking of moderation, maybe we need some... on Mr. 99 here.

As my doctor says: EVERYTHING you eat kills you. And frankly, BBQ food is probably high on the list.

You ask for proof, demean those who offer opinion, then post an absure opinion from an unsubstantiated source, yourself.

Pot, meet kettle.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #38
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
All my apple and cherry is from residential removal. I don't use orchard stuff at any cost. I can't prove there's any harm in using orchard stuff but if I had a choice I'd go with residential fruitwoods or forest hardwoods like oak, maple etc.
Haven't you heard... it's alar that's bad for you.

Errrr.... nevermind!

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]

Unread 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #39
btcg
Babbling Farker

Note to Twinsfan: the alar scare occurred long before you were born. It cost apple growers millions in lost product, and it turned out to be nonsense.

</rant>

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #40
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

There doesn't seem to be any conclusive study's published. Make your own conclusion and if you have a choice don't. BTW glyphosate is an herbicide not an insecticide.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #41
99ways2die
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for that post pyle.
I think that from what we can gather thus far it seems that anything which could be of concern to us would most likely be contained to the bark of the wood we use-at least this is how I interpret all this information.

captndan is right-doesn't look like we're able to find a conclusive study/evidence on the exact question we have. I guess we just have to follow our own gut, research and beliefs. Perhaps one day someone will find exactly what we're looking for.

...and you "mr.pot meet kettle." Moderate away; I think I made proper disclaimers right off the bat and made my position clear to everyone. Don't see anyone else getting upset-aside from you thus far. I think we're all adults here (can't be sure though)...
If you have anything else to say to me, by all means, shoot me a PM - otherwise we can meet at the wood pile, at 7AM.
"...I do my killin' before breakfast! Seven o'clock!"
Let's leave this thread on track-shall we?
;)
99ways2die is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #42
99ways2die

Side note:
I've noticed in a few threads that some people advocate bark removal, others completely laugh it off. To each his own, of course...but personally I will be removing that bark (if I have any) from now on.
Small price to pay-to me at least.

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #43
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ways2die View Post
Thanks for that post pyle.
I think that from what we can gather thus far it seems that anything which could be of concern to us would most likely be contained to the bark of the wood we use-at least this is how I interpret all this information.

captndan is right-doesn't look like we're able to find a conclusive study/evidence on the exact question we have. I guess we just have to follow our own gut, research and beliefs. Perhaps one day someone will find exactly what we're looking for.

...and you "mr.pot meet kettle." Moderate away; I think I made proper disclaimers right off the bat and made my position clear to everyone. Don't see anyone else getting upset-aside from you thus far. I think we're all adults here (can't be sure though)...
If you have anything else to say to me, by all means, shoot me a PM - otherwise we can meet at the wood pile, at 7AM.
"...I do my killin' before breakfast! Seven o'clock!"
Let's leave this thread on track-shall we?
;)
Meet you @ the Wood Pile? What would you say?

You're a person who berated and compared a poster to (to paraphrase) "teenagers on your car site", and then did the very same thing, himself.

As I pointed out, we tried your method in the 1980's: it ended up costing growers millions, and in the end (just as with this thread), it was all much ado about nothing.

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #44
99ways2die

I guess no smiley is big enough for you...are you always this serious?
Do you always take every single word in this "life and death" frame of mind?
Attached: whysoseriousbatman.jpeg

Carry on soldier.

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #45
btcg
Babbling Farker

I didn't say anything about your screen name: "99 Ways 2 Die"... but as someone with a garage full of fruitwood, I dislike your argument style.

That's all.