The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Joesuits4
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Maple Leaf Lump Charcoal Source

Does anyone know of a source for Maple Leaf lump? Can't seem to find one even on the Canada BBQ forum.

Thanks!!
Joesuits4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had some that I got last year in Whistler BC (25 lbs)- I really liked it and put out an APB to all my Canadian friends in BC and most had never heard of it. When I was in Langley BC, I saw some at a hardware store in 8 lb bags for $16 CDN!!! Too steep for me!

I have a bunch of Maple Leaf Natural briqs that are comparable to Stubbs and Rancher, that I got in a craigslist deal - an Egghead bought a couple pallets of the lump and briqs from a stove shop that went out of business and kept the lump for himself.

Good stuff if you can find it!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

All you need is a source of maple. It's easy to make your own lump.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Big Kahuna
On the road to being a farker

I purchase mine from "Ontario Gas BBQ" in Toronto, $19.99 a bag. You can call Charbon De Bois Feuille Erable (the company) direct, 418-329-2977. Can you speak Canadian French? Hopefully someone their speaks english, .

Nondescript No Name No Warranty No Returns Cheap Kamado Clone
Brand New WiFi Stoker
22.5 Weber OTG
Broil King Sovereign Gasser
Weber Smokey Joe, converted to a Mini WSM
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange Thermapen[/B][/COLOR]
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Maple leaf is the name not the content. Birch, beach, oak and of course maple can be found in the bag. It definitely rates above Royal Oak(which isn't all oak either) but not by enough to pay a premium for it.
It is best to buy it by the skid or directly off a skid as handling seems to break it down easily. You certainly dont want to courier it.
ML is my favourite lump but I won't pay a premium for it. Last year I was able to buy a skid for $.55/lb and I thought that was good. I haven't been able to do that this year and at $.83/lb my local store warehouses Royal Oak.
ML is made in Quebec Canada and maybe the brethren from Quebec or Ottawa/Hull may be able to source it cheaper. Maybe our New Brunswick Brethren may have a better chance as I think mine was shipped from Riviere du Loup(sp)
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

The Home Hardware chain sells it in Ontario, lump and briquettes. I use the bricks and much prefer it to Royal Oak.
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Cris
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
I purchase mine from "Ontario Gas BBQ" in Toronto, $19.99 a bag. You can call Charbon De Bois Feuille Erable (the company) direct, 418-329-2977. Can you speak Canadian French? Hopefully someone their speaks english, .
You can pick it up locally at Rona for a little less. http://www.rona.ca/shop/~charcoal-pi...!charcoal_shop
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
roastntoast
On the road to being a farker

If you want to use REAL Maple Hardwood charcoal ,checkout Basques Harwood Charcoal. It's 95% pure maple wood.
http://www.basquescharcoal.com/products.php

this stuff is awsome.

Jules
roastntoast is offline   Reply With Quote