The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition BBQ Book/School

Who has the best book and/or school for learning how to compete at BBQ contests? Just seeing comps on tv it looks like there are a lot of additional steps (ie garnishing, what parts of cut to turn in, sauce or unsauced, etc...) that need to be considered.
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

You can learn quite a bit here from the Brethren. That's how I got started... W're to books, I think "Low & Slow" by Wiviott is a good place to start. W/re. classes, start with a KCBS cooking class - you can find a class listing on the KCBS site.

Be careful, once you get your feet wet, you'll be hooked. If you're not looking for a new addiction - proceed with caution.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I hven't read any books on competition BBQ, but there are some out there. Maybe others have a recommendation.

As far as classes, Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg did a great class. I'm not sure if they are teaching together any more, but I know that Rod is still running classes. Scottie Johnson (Cancer Sucks Chicago) also does a great class. Another great class is the one that Todd Johns (Plowboy BBQ) and David Bouska (Butcher BBQ) put together. I've picked up tips and techniques from each.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Amazon.com: Startin' the Fire (978189068914: George W. Hensler: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51siN0CYLwL.@@AMEPARAM@@51siN0CYLwL

A great book from a good guy!!
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have read Startin' the Fire - and it's a great place to start.

But really, like Brewer said, this is THE place to learn about competition BBQ. Yes, even cooking methods and techniques can be had just for the asking. Just be sure to pay it back by your own participation and willingness to help others when they are coming up.

Then, besides the cooking classes, I'd recommend taking the judging contest and judging at least ten classes. (The judging class alone won't provide enough information as to what your target is.)

And finally, I'd say to jump in and do it. You will learn more by participating than you would believe. If it's a financial challenge for you, partner up with an established team, offering to help out. There's a sticky forum at the top of the Competition BBQ area called something like 'Team Mentoring' where folks get together for just such an arrangement.

Above all, have fun and enjoy your experience!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
rocksbarbque
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

1st judge a contest 2nd volunteer and help someone cook a contest. 3rd Compete in your first contest.
rocksbarbque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

+2 on starting the fire. Great read and the author is a member here. Chris hart and Andy husbands of ique also have a book coming out soon Amazon.com: Wicked Good Barbecue: Fearless Recipes from Two Damn Yankees Who Have Won the Biggest, Baddest BBQ Competitions in the World (9781592334995): Andy Husbands, Chris Hart, Andrea Pyenson, Steven Raichlen: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61E9tIvatQL.@@AMEPARAM@@61E9tIvatQL
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
gmholler
On the road to being a farker

I don't know about a BBQ book - overall, they're good for guidelines, but a lot of the specific information they give about contests isn't always up-to-date - but that's often the nature of a book. I'd go to a contest - mainly on the Friday night before things get too "hot & heavy" and talk to a few cookers. Or see about volunteering to help with the contest itself, or with a team. We had a couple just "hang" with us this past weekend at a contest - had to move our entire site to under a shelter due to a tropical storm, so it was really nice to have a few extra hands!!

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I enjoyed both of Adam Perry Lang's books for recipes and ideas.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
fnbish
Babbling Farker

I'm in my rookie year competing and learned pretty much everything from this forum. Tons of info here and great pics of turn in boxes. Also as gmholler suggested go to a comp on Friday and ask the teams what goes down on the 2 days.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Fat Freddy
Take a breath!

I am from Iowa also and can give a few more ideas for you. The Iowa BBQ Society is involved in a "spring training" held at Iowa State and has courses in several different meats.
Also Mike from Grillnout in Des Moines has classes fairly often by other competition cookers just go under events and on the right shows upcoming classes.
http://www.grillnoutiowa.com/

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 09-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: adding more info
Fat Freddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I enjoyed Smokin' With Myron Mixon. It includes his comp recipes (at the time of writing) and I've heard that he's won a trophy or two in his time.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
scm1226
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Love that he has YAnkees in his title, being a red sox fan and all.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
QueNivorous
On the road to being a farker

Taking a class cuts the slope of the "learning curve"! I've taken both a Troy Black class before we started cooking and a Rod Gray/Johnny Trigg class after we had cooked for a year. The first class gave us what we needed to start and the second one gave us some refinements and different views. Both were very helpful. It's pretty easy to recoup your class costs once you start to take a few walks. You can learn most of it through books but it just takes forever in my opinion. There's just no substitute for "seeing" the best do it.

Jambo J-3, Jambo Backyard, Backwoods Party, Backwoods Chubby, Custom Offset, WSM, and a Primo Oval XL.
QueNivorous is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
I enjoyed Smokin' With Myron Mixon. It includes his comp recipes (at the time of writing) and I've heard that he's won a trophy or two in his time.

Eric
Mixon's book aint giving the proper recipes. We just did his comp ribs recipe in this book to the t and it turned out flavorless and undercooked. We followed every step exactly as printed just to test. I don't think he's giving away his true recipes.

For a good book for starters, look for "Competition BBQ Secrets" by Bill Anderson. Step by step for competition bbq cooks including garnish and a check list of gear for comps.