The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
dwwright
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Hello from KC

Hi all,
Just joined the site the other night when I picked up my new Bandera. I finished bolting it together and went looking for information about it. There wasn't much other than the assembly instructions in the box. I saw several postings about using a charcoal basket and found some pics of one. Before I even fired it up I bent up some expanded metal, tacked it together, and had one ready for it's first seasoning. Worked real well, kept an even 220 for over 6 hours. I broke it in yesterday with some ribs and a pork loin. All my wifes complaining about it just melted away when she took her first bight of those ribs.

I usually do a couple of competitions a year with a team called the Smokin Jokers. We'll be out at Lenexa, but don't know how many others we'll get around to this year. Anyway, this site has some great info on it.

Thanks,

Darren

Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Thanks Darren, and welcome to the site.

Please, keep posting!!

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
chad

Welcome to the neighborhood.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
Old 04-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Darren,
Welcome aboard the Que Express here
Too many tidbits in your great post to catch them all, but...

I arrived here the same way--have never looked back nor regretted it-(well not too often, anyway)

Sounds like you got the basics well under control on the Dera! Great!
"Dera-specific" knowledge plus a good Que background is a killer combo!

You did elevate the firegrate--right?
Quote:
All my wifes complaining about it just melted away when she took her first bight of those ribs.
That is what it is all about!
Quote:
I usually do a couple of competitions a year with a team called the Smokin Jokers. We'll be out at Lenexa, but don't know how many others we'll get around to this year.
Our Competetion Section is just for guys like you (and me). Everything from the folks who wish to compete, all the way through long time established champions like DRBBQ and Jim Minion show up there. Tell us about the team and Lenexa(?) and we will root you on and share in the "Thrill of Victory.....etc".

Pour a cold one and kick back for a wild ride here!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Welcome Brother D, good to have another Brother in the area. I'm from south of the City, If ya have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
BrooklynQ
Banned

Welcome!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Welcome, and enjoy being a part of the show. Post Post post

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
Arlin_MacRae

Hey brother-welcome aboard!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
Bigmista

Welcome Darren! You've stumbled on a graet family pull up a chair and grab an adult beverage!

Enjoy!

2 - FEC 240
Pitmaker Vault
Medium Spicewine

Remembering Scott
Old 04-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
dwwright
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the warm welcome all. The Q fever has been building for a while and this makes me glad I jumped back in head first.

Tim, I haven't raised the firegrate, but plan to. The basket was built from all expanded metal, so I wasn't sure I needed to. However when I emptied the ashpan tonight I realized it was pretty much piled up under the basket with no room to breath. I've got to pickup a new bottle of gas for the mig this week. I'll tack something up before the next smoke. Also need to add two more partitions to my charcoal basket. Planning to space them about an inch from the other two. The coals were hot enough that the heat was igniting the charcoal on the other side. By the first half hour half the basket was glowing.

Darren
Old 04-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
Bigdog

Welcome Darren. Are you from the Kansas or Missouri side of KC?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwright
Thanks for the warm welcome all. The Q fever has been building for a while and this makes me glad I jumped back in head first.

Tim, I haven't raised the firegrate, but plan to. The basket was built from all expanded metal, so I wasn't sure I needed to. However when I emptied the ashpan tonight I realized it was pretty much piled up under the basket with no room to breath. I've got to pickup a new bottle of gas for the mig this week. I'll tack something up before the next smoke. Also need to add two more partitions to my charcoal basket. Planning to space them about an inch from the other two. The coals were hot enough that the heat was igniting the charcoal on the other side. By the first half hour half the basket was glowing.

Darren
Darren,
Raising the firegrate makes all the difference in the world.
Fire needs air--simple

I do not know how your basket is built, but the 2 or 3 or 4 sections do need to be seperated by a good 1" or more airspace. If not, it will all light off, defeating the whole purpose

There are some new designs out there--I am testing one this week (I hope).
Gonna be interesting!

For now, just tack weld and see what develops before you Mig it in final

Welcome--Welcome--Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #13
parrothead

Welcome!

American Picker Blog
Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 AM   #14
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome aboard Darren. Enjoy what you learn and share what you know. When is the Great Lenexa event. My best friend lives just around the corner from the park where the event is held and has been trying to get me to come down for it but scheduling has been a problem.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grill, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:56 AM   #15
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Closed Thread