The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Should I quit competing? (Sorta Long)

Hotel room tonight, and time on the road to think.

I've been struggling for a few weeks with the idea of selling my 20' toy hauler, pits and "contest stuff", as well as including 1 private on site contest consultation with all of my recipes and processes included after this years American Royal. Let me explain why;

I set out this year to win a GC and prove to myself that my only other one wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. This year we have won a GC, have had 2 RGC's, have had wins in Pork and Brisket, and a number of good Chicken and Rib calls. I'm ok if I go out without a Jack cook, but I'd sure like one so that would be my only other "goal".

We dearly love some of you that we've formed relationships with over the past 6 years and we truly enjoy the company of most of the rest. I look forward to nearly every weekend at a contest and have also considered a BIGGER rig..

Problem is, we also cater like crazy (I know, I know, I have yet to set a class date) and I haven't had a weekend off since February so i'm sure that is a factor. Follow the brain or follow the heart........? In any event, thanks for giving me a place to share my feelings.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Hotel room tonight, and time on the road to think.

I've been struggling for a few weeks with the idea of selling my 20' toy hauler, pits and "contest stuff", as well as including 1 private on site contest consultation with all of my recipes and processes included after this years American Royal. Let me explain why;

I set out this year to win a GC and prove to myself that my only other one wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. This year we have won a GC, have had 2 RGC's, have had wins in Pork and Brisket, and a number of good Chicken and Rib calls. I'm ok if I go out without a Jack cook, but I'd sure like one so that would be my only other "goal".

We dearly love some of you that we've formed relationships with over the past 6 years and we truly enjoy the company of most of the rest. I look forward to nearly every weekend at a contest and have also considered a BIGGER rig..

Problem is, we also cater like crazy (I know, I know, I have yet to set a class date) and I haven't had a weekend off since February so i'm sure that is a factor. Follow the brain or follow the heart........? In any event, thanks for giving me a place to share my feelings.
Follow what makes you happiest! We turn down a LOT of catering gigs so that we can travel and compete...which is what we love to do. We are also fortunate to have day jobs with employers that allow us an extra day off now and then when needed. Good luck with your decision and...if you can afford it...follow your heart!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Follow what makes you happiest! We turn down a LOT of catering gigs so that we can travel and compete...which is what we love to do. We are also fortunate to have day jobs with employers that allow us an extra day off now and then when needed. Good luck with your decision and...if you can afford it...follow your heart!
Thanks JD. I have a good job as a Regional Sales Manager with plenty of vacation so I can make the schedule work. My wife runs the catering business, and does it well. I guess the real issue is I'm tight with the $$ and am a bit of a control freak. I can't take it with me, and my wife is quite capable so you'd think the decision would be easy......

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Seen this before. I have seen a team do awesome one year and then disappear. Turns out they are making so much catering, the comps are few and far between. Ya gotta do what makes you happy, for me if I had the rig, it would be catering full time. I like to win (actually get calls, never won), but I love to cook.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

I posted this thread back in '08 about "retiring" from comps... lots of members gave their positions at the time and what motivates them or not..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=retire+comp

Interesting note is that you posted in post # 21.. might be helpful to see how you've evolved and where others stand on the subject. Maybe just scale back from the amount of contests.. Just do a handful of your favorites for fun.

Check it out

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-29-2011 at 07:06 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff,

You're in burn out mode. Stop and pray about it and figure out what's your priority. You LOVE cooking, so do that. On the other hand, keep it simple stupid and keep your family in tact. Know the difference.

You just might want to slow down a bit. Don't sell out all of your happiness.

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
big brother smoke

I am with Vinny, scale back, so that contest are not a burden. I only have turned down a gig once for a comp due to the potential client calling me the week of the event.

I get real giddy and all I can focus on mostly is a comp 2 weeks out.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
trohrs123
Take a breath!

2008 4 contests, 2009 10 contests, 2010 15 contests, 2011 12 contests,...feel same way...getting a call doesn't even get me going anymore...my brotherband teammate says we should change our name to Grouchy BBQ, because I'm not having fun anymore...the driving 5 to 10 hours, the expense, etc. Will take next year off before I decide to sell my equipment...see how I feel...would like to do catering or vending but too grouchy right now to consider...just like to cook for family and friends right now...they are always appreciative and non judgmental ...thanks for the opportunity to vent

Sponsored by Simply Marvelous Rubs

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 - FEC 100's
22.5" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Perfomer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Jeff,

You're in burn out mode. Stop and pray about it and figure out what's your priority. You LOVE cooking, so do that. On the other hand, keep it simple stupid and keep your family in tact. Know the difference.

You just might want to slow down a bit. Don't sell out all of your happiness.
Bunny, Your answer illustrates why your one of those that we love dearly! It also sounds much like my wife's answer. We can cook as much or as little as we want from the end of this year forward just for the fun and friendship of it content in the knowledge that we do measure up (not that it really matters).

Thanks everybody!!

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I posted this thread back in '08 about "retiring" from comps... lots of members gave their positions at the time and what motivates them or not..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=retire+comp

Interesting note is that you posted in post # 21.. might be helpful to see how you've evolved and where others stand on the subject. Maybe just scale back from the amount of contests.. Just do a handful of your favorites for fun.

Check it out

THANKS!! I suppose this is what makes me "me". Never quite content, always ready for the next challenge, looking to goof off a little too much and not work all the time. BTW - When we scaled back to 1 contest, it killed me not to be in the hunt for a win......this BBQ thing is a sickness I tell you...

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

All depends on why you do it. **I startednout because I wanted to learn how to BBQ and wanted to cook rather than just help. *I strarted out by myself and made some great friends along the way. *This has been a tough tough year...between teammates fluctuating to just not cooking well. *I noticed after Joplin how much I really enjoyed the people I meet and seeing the one's I've known. *I don't have a goal to win but I would like to be a little feared when I pull up :) *I do want to be a respected cook, who's known for being a stand up guy, if I can donthat then the rest doesn't matter. *Hope that makes sense. **3 years ago I couldnt decide if i wanted to restore a car of try out comp BBQ. **Glad I chose what I did, wouldn't have met some great people!

Bottom line slow it down change it up take someone with you that wants to learn and teach em'. You may find they give you a spark of excitement.

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Wil, when I met you in P-Hill this year I had no idea what your BBQ pedigree was. I didn't really care. When I left P-Hill, after a sucky mid-field finish, my opinion of you was just what you outlined above. You helped me with my recipes by offering 1 simple recipe that I use every week and you made me feel at home in a pretty large field of good cooks. I don't know if I ever said it, so, THANKS!!

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Jeff, I've felt that way all this year. I'm still not positive that I'm cooking at all in 2012. After 27 contests in 2010 and 12 so far this year (with three definite and hopefully four more left), I can say I'm feeling the burn out. If we don't cook in 2012, I cannot imagine just not being involved with BBQ in some manner, whether it's occasionally cooking with a friend, helping some rookie teams learn or judging and, of course, putting on the Pleasant Hill contest. Additionally, I'm now involved with trying to help take WiredBBQ.com to a whole new level so I'd be at many contests anyway. You mention goals and the only one I've yet to realize is cooking at the Jack. It is almost impossible to believe we've met nearly all of our goals in less than seven years of cooking. Cooking at the Jack might be a nice culmination before at least a brief retirement from the circuit. Point is I think we all reach this point of decision at one point or another. And there are many ways to stay involved and "in touch" with comp barbecue without having to compete.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Thank Jeff! It's good to know I'm not the only one. We've "only" cooked 10 so far this year with 5 more on the schedule in the next 6 weeks. I can't fathom doing 27!!

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Thank Jeff! It's good to know I'm not the only one. We've "only" cooked 10 so far this year with 5 more on the schedule in the next 6 weeks. I can't fathom doing 27!!
And I can't fathom these 35 and 40 contest seasons some guys are cooking! I might do 27 again one day... but it'll be when I retire from real jobs and travel.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote