The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up Tacos de Carne Asada ~ Oakridge BBQ Style!!

In order to show the versatility of our new Santa Maria Steak Seasoning, I thought I'd make some tacos de carne asada (aka: steak tacos).

The two most popular cuts of beef for this dish are flank steaks and skirt steaks. Most Spanish folks will tell you, the most authentic cut for this dish are skirt steaks. While flank steaks will certainly work in a pinch, the extra flavor, tenderness and juiciness one gets from using a skirt steak will make a difference in the final product.

The only way I can get skirt steaks here in KC is to buy them through my local Restaurant Depot. They come in 10 - 15 lb. cryovac packs with anywhere from 5 - 7 skirt steaks contained within each package.

Purchased in this format, you'll be looking at doing quite a bit of butchering in order to get each skirt in a usable form. Here is a pic of one skirt fresh out of the package...

And, here is a shot post-trimming... Notice the pile of off-trim in the upper left-hand corner. Expect to remove this much or slightly more from each skirt steak. Use a small sharp knife and work slowly so you don't cut yourself.

Next, grab a package of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Steak Seasoning and begin coating both sides of each skirt steak evenly and liberally. Then, squeeze the juice of two limes over the entire tray. I only covered the tops of each steak and didn't bother flipping them to coat the other side. Make sure to wet each thoroughly with the fresh lime juice.

Then, wrap the entire tray in a couple layers of plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour.

It had gotten too dark for good pictures, so I didn't take any of the cooking process, however it couldn't get any easier... Basically, fire up your grill using lump charcoal (preferred), and get it VERY HOT. If you don't have lump or even a charcoal grill, don't worry. Just get whatever grill you have as hot as you can get it.

Before you begin grilling, prepare 6 more limes for juicing by slightly bruising them then cut each in half across the middle. Now, place each skirt steak on the grill directly over the hot coals. Sear the first side, then flip. Once flipped, squeeze fresh lime juice over each steak thoroughly. Then when ready, flip them again and coat the other side. Continue flipping and marinating with lime juice until they are cooked to med-rare. Remove them to a plate or pan to rest...

After 10-15 minutes of resting time, place a skirt steak on your cutting board and slice it at a 45º angle to the grain on a bias, like below...

Now, it's time to start building some tacos... Heat some corn (or flour) tortillas on a hot skillet and put a small handful of carne asada in the middle. Then, follow that with some fresh pico de gallo, shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and some fresh salsa roja. Finish them off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and tear in....

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22½" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Let me at em, they look delicious!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

That looks fantastic, nicely done You put sugar in the Santa Maria huh, is it sweet?

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes I know most people want sides with a dish like that, not me man. Just gimme a bunch of tortillas and meat and I am happy as can be!

That meat looks so awesome I wanted to take a bite out of the screen!
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
That looks fantastic, nicely done They put sugar in their Santa Maria huh, is it sweet?
Not sweet what so ever. Actually, it is kinda' hot. While it's true, we do put some raw sugar in our Santa Maria rub, it's only a tiny amount. Of course, if I told you how much, I'd have to kill you... (just kidding)

Rest assured, it's there for a very specific set of purposes, however none of them are to make the rub taste sweet. Again, if I told you why....

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22½" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22½" Weber Kettle

Unread 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Smokeadelic
On the road to being a farker

You've got my mouth watering. The tacos look awesome!

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

The only problem is that you made them a week too early. Those would be VERY competitive in the Tortilla Throwdown, which starts 9/2. You need to make more next weekend.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
deguerre

Ooooooo...al carbon. Love it! The rub gives a real nice sheen in conjunction with the lime juice! Looks like the perfect amount of carmalization from the sugar too.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

my mouth is watering
bbqchicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
chambersuac

Wow, those look GREAT. Send a couple of tacos to sample, please! Extra pico on one! ;)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Ooooooo...al carbon. Love it! The rub gives a real nice sheen in conjunction with the lime juice! Looks like the perfect amount of carmalization from the sugar too.
Yeah, those little crispy bits literally exploded with flavor on those tacos! Funny story... as I was grilling them, every once in a while as I'd flip one, there would be a couple nubs of seasoning on them that would be glowing red like little embers...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22½" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22½" Weber Kettle

Unread 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Looks great, got to go to the local grocery and see if I can find some skirt steak, I have never bought it before but thanks to you I am going a searching for it. Thanks for the post and pictures.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

That's my kinda grub there.
Beerbecue is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Holy crap I asked about this today and got my answer! Nice farking tacos! That is my kind of soul food right there. I'm gonna have to check out that seasoning

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes Sir! I'm ready for some of those, mouth is watering right now. Really nice job.
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote