The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smaller comp trying to stay around

Marietta Ohio's Brickstreet BBQ may not be able to continue without some changes. In our 3rd year, we dropped from 40 teams to 26 and because of this, the charity lost money. I'm sure most of you can appreciate the hundreds and hundreds of hours it takes to put on an event, so it's easy to see why a charity cannot continue to run an event at a loss.
In the past, we've always set our prize money well in advance and always paid out well in excess of 100% of the entry fees back out in prize money.
This past year, we paid out (not including people's choice) $10k in cash and only pulled in 26 teams. Yes, we do have the State Proc.
I know the Sam's club event in Michigan our weekend landed several teams that would have otherwise been here, but that was an unexpected event that we had no control over.
We are a small town and pretty much maxed out our possible sponsors for the area, so raising more money that way isn't really an option.
What we are considering doing is setting our prize money smaller to begin with and increasing it based on the number of teams we get.

I guess, what I'm looking for is input on how this will fly.
Are there teams who have been here before or might be looking at a contest that would not return if we started out with an advertised prize money of say $6500 and increased it by $1k for every 4 teams over 25?
Not sure what the exact structure would be and that's why I'm floating this out there. We've got to come up with a plan in the next month or so if we are going to keep this thing going.

Thanks
Dave

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I was there this year and will be there next year if you have it regardless of the advertised prize money.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We would be there regardless also. Good time, as long as my garnish cooler doesnt float down the street again.............

Seriously, it is a really good time!

Backwoods Competitor, 2x Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Big Ugly's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

$10000 is a nice purse, but id go either way, breakdown doesnt matter, only that a fair portion is returned to prize money. we all understand that these things have to make money and since there are only 3 in Ohio, id hate to loose this one.

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

A lot of smaller events are struggling with this issue and are planning on posting smaller guarantees for 2012. It's your best solution.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks all. I assumed we weren't the only ones in the boat.

Yea, that storm this year was freaky!!

While I'm at it. Anybody have a preference whether we hold the event downtown, or move it to our local fairgrounds about 2 miles from the regular spot?
I know the local merchants like having it in downtown as do the folks who have run it for the past 3 years, but we have the option.

Unread 08-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

That blacktop was hot, but with that wicked storm we had at least it wasn't muddy. If it brings in some business for your local merchants keeping it where it is probably would be your best bet.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
fordfanaw
Got Wood.

well be there no matter what. I think the sams club event is what hurt you the most.I would like if you kept it where it is.
fordfanaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If I could have back our spot by the Funeral Home, it would be perfect, but again the idea is to draw crowds and get them into the local businesses. The Mexican Restaurant across got TONS of business, I do know that!! Good Food!

Backwoods Competitor, 2x Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Big Ugly's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

The advantage of moving to the Fairgrounds would be a much larger area, built in "RV" power and not needing the tents because of all of the fair buildings. I do enjoy the downtown venue myself and odds are it will stay there, just wanted to see what most of the returning teams preferred. It is still about the competition first. Without the teams, there is no event :-)

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Thanks all. I assumed we weren't the only ones in the boat.

Yea, that storm this year was freaky!!

While I'm at it. Anybody have a preference whether we hold the event downtown, or move it to our local fairgrounds about 2 miles from the regular spot?
I know the local merchants like having it in downtown as do the folks who have run it for the past 3 years, but we have the option.
I like the current location

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Dan - 3eyzbbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Marietta Ohio's Brickstreet BBQ may not be able to continue without some changes. In our 3rd year, we dropped from 40 teams to 26 and because of this, the charity lost money. I'm sure most of you can appreciate the hundreds and hundreds of hours it takes to put on an event, so it's easy to see why a charity cannot continue to run an event at a loss.
In the past, we've always set our prize money well in advance and always paid out well in excess of 100% of the entry fees back out in prize money.
This past year, we paid out (not including people's choice) $10k in cash and only pulled in 26 teams. Yes, we do have the State Proc.
I know the Sam's club event in Michigan our weekend landed several teams that would have otherwise been here, but that was an unexpected event that we had no control over.
We are a small town and pretty much maxed out our possible sponsors for the area, so raising more money that way isn't really an option.
What we are considering doing is setting our prize money smaller to begin with and increasing it based on the number of teams we get.

I guess, what I'm looking for is input on how this will fly.
Are there teams who have been here before or might be looking at a contest that would not return if we started out with an advertised prize money of say $6500 and increased it by $1k for every 4 teams over 25?
Not sure what the exact structure would be and that's why I'm floating this out there. We've got to come up with a plan in the next month or so if we are going to keep this thing going.

Thanks
Dave

Wouldn't it be nice if big sponsors like Sam's club would invest in local events instead of competing with them? Wouldn't it be nice if the KCBS board helped this happen. Oh, wait several of them were hired to run the Sam's club events...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't

http://www.goodsmokebbq.com
http://www.roccityribfest.com
http://www.nybbqchamp.com
Backwoods Party,Backwoods Competitor,Weber 26
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

I am not sure that the Sam's club event in Traverse City took too many teams from ya. The only ones I know that were at TC and were at Marietta last year were ourselves and Extreme Roasters.

You guys have a great event I hope it keeps going.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

May make this one the one in Ohio to compete at next year....
KCBS CBJ #30390

Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with Warmer
Char-Griller Pro w/ SFB and Mods
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Do like the charm of downtown like nelsonville