The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
twinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-11
Location: New Jersey
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Your Call/Jingle/Cry?

At horse shows I'm using

"Ribs 9
comes with a side
Sandwich 5
2 dollar sides!"

Do you have one you'd like to share?
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter
Moderator
 
MilitantSquatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-05
Location: Mooresville, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I've never heard any BBQ vendors who were good at what they do having time to have a call/jingle/cry to get business.... they're usually too busy working & serving.
__________________
Lonestar 24" Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox & Performer Platinum
Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Med. Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL & (2) Med. BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
At horse shows I'm using

"Ribs 9
comes with a side
Sandwich 5
2 dollar sides!"

Do you have one you'd like to share?
you're vending horse shows in your freshman year in highschool?

that is VERY impressive.

how many ribs for 9?
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
devious
is one Smokin' Farker
 
devious's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-08-09
Location: Bellevue Nebraska
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

hmmm thats what i was thinking
__________________
Big Red Kenmore gasser, Black Shirt UDS,Large BGE
devious is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
twinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-11
Location: New Jersey
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Well, I purchase the packs of spare ribs. Typically I get them for $2.50-3 a piece, and they're probably five ribs per, but there's a bit of fat and they don't end up as too much food, so I call it a hearty lunch with the side. Baste them with a generic Honey BBQ sauce mixed with 1 cup of OJ, 1/2 a cup of cider vinegar, some cayenne, and tons of black pepper. Done in 4-5 hours.

I just did my first horse show, and I'm goin' into soph. year. Bell Mt. BBQ is off the ground. This first one was kind of off the books, but I'm looking to do stuff more legit and possibly go legal soon. This winter I'll see whenever school doesn't interfere.

And I need to lure business away from the other vendor. You want a rib plate for $9 or a burger and fries for $6 at the other place? May take a catchy tune.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
MilitantSquatter
Moderator
 
MilitantSquatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-05
Location: Mooresville, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
Well, I purchase the packs of spare ribs. Typically I get them for $2.50-3 a piece, and they're probably five ribs per, but there's a bit of fat and they don't end up as too much food, so I call it a hearty lunch with the side. Baste them with a generic Honey BBQ sauce mixed with 1 cup of OJ, 1/2 a cup of cider vinegar, some cayenne, and tons of black pepper. Done in 4-5 hours.

I just did my first horse show, and I'm goin' into soph. year. Bell Mt. BBQ is off the ground. This first one was kind of off the books, but I'm looking to do stuff more legit and possibly go legal soon. This winter I'll see whenever school doesn't interfere.

And I need to lure business away from the other vendor. You want a rib plate for $9 or a burger and fries for $6 at the other place? May take a catchy tune.

No one here is going to encourage a vendor who may "possibly go legal" . If you don't have local permits, Safety Serve certification, and most importantly insurance you're not legal and should NOT be vending.....

I can only imagine that you also don't have proper sanitation, water supply, food storage etc.

Do things the right way or don't do them...
__________________
Lonestar 24" Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox & Performer Platinum
Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Med. Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL & (2) Med. BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
chambersuac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-09
Location: San Antonio, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
No one here is going to encourage a vendor who may "possibly go legal" . If you don't have local permits, Safety Serve certification, and most importantly insurance you're not legal and should NOT be vending.....

I can only imagine that you also don't have proper sanitation, water supply, food storage etc.

Do things the right way or don't do them...
This might sound harsh, but it is a very sensible, and kind comment. Vending while "not legal" can ruin you long term - and can kill people (if you don't know food safety) and is not fair to vendors who do it right.

Talk to your local Health Dept and find out what you need to do in that area. You don't have to have a tax ID, etc., but remember, by law, ALL INCOME is to be reported to the IRS.

As far as a call, not to be a smart arse, but I let the aroma of the meat on the smoker act as my call/jingle, etc.
__________________
Dan

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
twinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-11
Location: New Jersey
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Let me just get answer.

1. I've been in contact with the Health Department through this whole time, before I informally sold last weekend. He is firmly against BBQ and wants me to sell burgers and hotdogs. I've offered to buy heating chambers, and I've offered to keep the meat on the smoker until an order is taken, but he's not having it. He's a nice guy, just thinks it's risky for some reason. (I've avoided mentioning age) Next township?

2. This is sold at a private horse show.

3. I had a hose and soap next to my stand and formal handwash facilities thirty feet away.

4. I got there early in the morning at 6 with the meat frozen; salted and peppered, and onto the smoker. Sauce gets added there later. When an order comes in, I either pull some ribs off and put them on a plate with a side stored in the cooler or on the grill, or I cut a piece of the pork off, chop it a little more finely, and a squirt of K.C. style or N.C. style based on the customer's preference.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 10-09-07
Location: carthage,mo.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

All I can say is stop right now and get food safety education! You evidently have none. Why would you question a health department officer? Be glad no one has become ill yet. Are you serious?Why you can't hold on a smoker? Do your possible customers a favor and listen to what is said. Do not play with people's safety. No insurance? Get some of that too. Be legal or don't mess with it. Normally I wouldn't sound so harsh, but when you say a HD official says to sell burgers and dogs, not want chafers, and is old, that's over the top. Wow. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker
 
C Rocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-29-07
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
Let me just get answer.

1. I've been in contact with the Health Department through this whole time, before I informally sold last weekend. He is firmly against BBQ and wants me to sell burgers and hotdogs. I've offered to buy heating chambers, and I've offered to keep the meat on the smoker until an order is taken, but he's not having it. He's a nice guy, just thinks it's risky for some reason. (I've avoided mentioning age) Next township?

2. This is sold at a private horse show.

3. I had a hose and soap next to my stand and formal handwash facilities thirty feet away.

4. I got there early in the morning at 6 with the meat frozen; salted and peppered, and onto the smoker. Sauce gets added there later. When an order comes in, I either pull some ribs off and put them on a plate with a side stored in the cooler or on the grill, or I cut a piece of the pork off, chop it a little more finely, and a squirt of K.C. style or N.C. style based on the customer's preference.
1 - Stay in school
2 - Get a Food Safety certification
3 - Don't go any further until you've learned the proper way to vend and cater, have insurance, and most importantly - Take it seriously.

FYI - In many states, Parents and/or Legal Guardians are responsible for offenses committed by their children (Under 1. Talk to your Parents nd make sure you don't cause them any problems inadvertently. Good luck.
__________________
Rancho To Go BBQ Catering
Spicewine BBQs - West (Left) Coast
Large Spicewine - Ol' Blue
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
twinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-11
Location: New Jersey
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

OK. Talks at a standstill so we'll see.
Thanks i guess.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Bama Q
On the road to being a farker

 
Join Date: 03-29-10
Location: North Alabama, Home of White BBQ Sauce
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default

I applaud your get up and go. But there is a right way. Get legal. Feed the Crowd the right way. Customers are trusting you. Have you every had a good case of food poisoning ? You don't want that . Some people die. Work a little harder, get the details right and go for the$$$
__________________
Custom Made 6' Stick burner, Pellet popper
KCBS CBJ
Ain't no Smoke. Ain't no Bar-be-Que
Bama Q is online now   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jingle Bells Shotgun Shells Christmas Lights 5-0 BBQ The BBQ Equipment Store 2 11-19-2011 10:41 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts