Can my ET732 be off by 14 degrees at 212 ?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
Out of 3 thermometers my ET732 is 14 degrees higher that the others. I still don't know if is the ET732 is correct and the others are wrong or the other way around. Wish there was a way to find out. I thought the ET732 was dead on. Not I'm not sure of anything now. I'm think the other ET732 temp probe is correct. I placed a oven thermometer in the UDS and it read the same as the ET732.

When you boil water there is about a 10 degree range wher the water is bubbling. It's hard to tell exactly where 212 is by watching the water.

I think I under cooked some purk butts using 2 of these thermometers yesterday. I don't know how to test the butts by poking them. I was trying to go by the temp. That must be the wrong thing to do. Especially if you don't really know what the temp is.

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

As far as my understanding of it, a full rolling boil will be a static temp and the water cannot go higher without pressure applied. There might be some variance in the different areas of the pot though if the burner isn't a NG or Propane burner

Rolling boil, water gets no hotter than boiling temp. Just put each probe in to test, make sure it isn't touching the bottom or sides, leave in for a minute or so and you'll have your answer.

What's the ice water test? Measure temp in ice water?

yeah just put a some ice cubes in a rocks glass, barely cover with water, let it sit for a minute or so, stir it up and stick your probe in, should read 32*.. even better with crushed ice if you have that option

The Ice water is better as boiling point WILL change with elevation
ice is a constant 32 is freeze point but ice can be colder than that, and thats where the water comes in, you can have water@ 32° and Ice thats my understanding of the schematics of the stuff and things

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

I will give the ice test a shot using some fresh batteries. I still have the original batteries in it. I must have at least 40 to 50 hours on them. Lost track of how many.

If the 732 is out of wack ................ It's just disappointing to know.
It's only 2 months old and I treat it like it was a Rolex watch.

I would try the boiling boil test again. Your city's elevation is only 425 ft above sea level so the temperature error will be minimal. Try boiling it only about 2 inches of water in the small pot that will fit on your burner. Crank up the heat as high as it will go and wait. You want a jumping boil. Stick the probe in the middle of the water without touching metal. You might want to use tongs to hold the probe.

The ice test can be good but you have to get your ice bath just right to hit 32.

One more thing: If you have gotten the plug that plugs into your remote unit from the temp probe or the female receiver for the plug wet it can through off the temp.

I hope this helps.

Flask

Have you tried calling Maverick Industries and inquiring about your situation to see what their advice may be? They might acknowledge an issue and warranty your unit.

boiling point of water at Granite City, Illinois is 211.253(425 feet above sea level). Water can not go above the point of boiling.

Just turn the stove on high and boil some water the ET should be close to 211 or 212

I think I under cooked some purk butts using 2 of these thermometers yesterday. I don't know how to test the butts by poking them. I was trying to go by the temp.

Wiggle the bone a little and give it a tug. If it pulls out, the butt's ready. If it's boneless, see if you can easily pull a piece off.

My son bought me some new 6' long probes for my brithday. I will see how they measure temp compaired to the old ones.

I did call Maverick on Friday. They have a message that says leave a message. They only have a part time person answering qestions and will they will call you back or send them an email. They did not call back. I will try the email next to find out what they say about it.

So, if I turn the fire on high and boil water, the highest temp will be 212 ?
That doesn't seem right. It boils at 212. That's why it's bubbling. But I would thing it would keep getting hotter than 212.

Regarding water above 212 - look up 'latent heat' and you will see why it takes a lot of heat to move water from 212 to steam. Water stalls at 212 just like water stalls when trying to go below 32. Any time you change states - ie solid to liquid, liquid to vapor you need to add lots of heat. Conversely, when you condense steam to water, lots of heat is released.....ice to water, heat is absorbed......Mike

Water turns to steam at 212. the molecules are moving so fast they escape into steam, thus water can not get hotter then 212, unless its under preasure.

Back