The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
A-dub
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Charity Event for 300+

Hey everyone-

This weekend I am involved in a Charity event where I will be cooking (along with another guy and his smoker) BBQ for about 300 people.

My question, since I have never cooked this much meat before relates to the internal temp I should shoot for.

I normally would pull it off around 190 degrees. However, since there will be so much meat, and it will be wrapped in foil and placed in coolers for several hours before serving (we will take what we need from the cooler and pull to serve), should I consider pulling it off the cooker a little earlier?

I want to avoid over cooking the meat and allowing it to get mushy or even dried out.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Unread 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

Are you not cooking where you are serving? Just wondering why you're planning on coolering for so long.

Unread 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

What are you cooking? Pork won't be a problem to cook to correct temp. and hold.

Unread 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

What are you cooking? We have done pork several times for similar sized crowds...mostly butts, but once we did hogs.

Each time, we cooked just as we would always cook it - then packed into large coolers and kept until we needed to pull them. We have never had a problem with them drying out - maybe the cooler and thermal mass of the meat keeps them moist??? I've never had complaints of them being mushy, either.

You may be amazed at how hot the meat will stay in those coolers - hours later will still be too hot to handle without gloves.

Of course, beef might be different...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

No difference with Beef, I was amazed when I first started using a cooler for holding in this manner - and now even more so when holding in a cambro unit. If you warm up the cooler with boiling water before hand you'll have even better holding in either.

Unread 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
A-dub
Got Wood.

We are cooking pork butts.

Thanks for the info guys. I think everything should work out fine.