ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I am a one man show and have the physique of BBQ Small if you catch my drift and have no problems doing it at all. Sometimes it is nice to have someone taking care of the turn ins but for me it is enjoyable doing it alone.

The one tip I can add to the list is do as much as possible at home before you get there. That includes making rubs, making injections, making marinades, trimming all meat, and even making your boxes (Diva Q's method) if you want to party a little on Friday night.

After I unload on friday, I probably have about 15 mins of work (injecting meat) until I need to actually start preparing to cook around 10:30pm. That gives me several hours to socialize and watch others work.
What is the Diva Q's method...the link doesn't open.???
PigTamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0

Get a runner. You have enough to worry about at a first contest. good luck!

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigTamer View Post
What is the Diva Q's method...the link doesn't open.???
If this doesn't work go to divaq.ca and scroll to the bottom for the search bar and type in "making parsley turn in boxes in advance". The blog you want is the second one down. Enjoy!

http://divaq.ca/making-parsley-turn-...-putting-green

I am now making my boxes the weekend before the next comp. I throw them in the fridge and never look at them again until i get to the contest. I would much rather make boxes at home catching up on TV than spending a couple of hours at the comp.

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #19
Sylvie
Full Fledged Farker

For the last few events I have competed in I did all the cooking and prep however, I did have help setting up the heavy stuff and to run the boxes. Bigmista hasn't chimed in but I know for a fact that he has done a comp by himself and with no runners.

As long as you manage your time by doing things like the meat trimming and doing your boxes prior to the comp you are good to go.
BWS Party G2
Two 18.5 inch WSMs, One 22.5 inch WSMs,
one 22.5 inch Blue One Touch Gold Kettle
Hot Pink Thermapen
20 ft custom BBQ trailer
Sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yes.....
I do all the work,
wife takes all the credit
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
fnbish
Babbling Farker

You can do it. Now we have 2 people, but everything is as prepped as it can be before we head out and that makes all the difference. All the meat is trimmed, rubs made, sauce made, injections made. So it seems like all we really do on Friday (for comp turn in meat) is rub/inject the meat then it goes on the smoker. 1 person would definitely have more moving around during turn ins, but many others do it.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #22
Sledneck
Time Out

Try the pickled pig flp method for parsley boxes. http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-con...-transfer.html
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

At our contest earlier this year, we had two "teams" that were solo acts. I asked them if they wanted help and they took me up on the offer. We found knowledgeable volunteers to run the boxes. Just make your need known to the organizer or reps and you will get the help you want for box runners.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #24
Sylvie
Full Fledged Farker

The Pickled Pig technique can also be used to replace a damaged contest box. The tabs on one of our contest boxes broke after I built the box and I had to get a replacement from the reps. I did the described transfer and voila a new box in seconds.
BWS Party G2
Two 18.5 inch WSMs, One 22.5 inch WSMs,
one 22.5 inch Blue One Touch Gold Kettle
Hot Pink Thermapen
20 ft custom BBQ trailer
Sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #25
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I always cook by myself. Biggest tip is to NOT drink until that brisket box hits the turn in table.
NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Lots of good advice above! I cook alone and have for many years. Figure out how long all 4 meats take to cook at home and add an hour at a contest. Simplify all you can with everything. Don't take it if you don't use it cause guarantee at some point in time you'll have to move it. Ask the organizer if you can be placed close to turn in (very very important) or if they know anyone who can run your boxes. Good luck!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #27
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

Agreed. I saw it done three weeks ago and a friend of ours took 1st in two categories and GC. However, this was by far not his first competition. At least try to find someone to run your boxes. Good luck.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #28
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I agree with Dan... wouldn't want to try it for your first event - there's enough to think about already without the added stress.
I dont know, sometimes team-mates and trying to figure out how to work together can be stressful. I personally like cooking solo and would recommend keeping it as simple as possible starting with cooking as little meat as possible, like 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 chicken thighs. Write the plan down and find a runner if possible.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
virginia lawyer
Got Wood.

Default It can be done

Just started competing this year, and have done all 4 solo from start to finish. Bit of a pain to be located away from the judge's tent - gives you less time to think about your next box and actually put it together, but can be done nonetheless. Have placed in the top 10 overall in 2 out of the 4, and took 5th in chicken in the other one. Helps to have friendly teams next to you in case you forget something (like a hose), because your time is at a premium. Agree with the tip about prepping meat at home as much as possible - otherwise you will get very little rest and no socializing Friday night/Saturday morning.
virginia lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I dont know, sometimes team-mates and trying to figure out how to work together can be stressful. I personally like cooking solo and would recommend keeping it as simple as possible starting with cooking as little meat as possible, like 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 chicken thighs. Write the plan down and find a runner if possible.
I know what you mean... I cook with just my wife!

Seriously though, that takes a lot of the stress out of the equation for multiple reasons.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->