oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
I have put my tamale steamer insert in for this smoke tO see how well that works. So far 2 hrs in, the temp is steady at 230ºf
I believe you'll find the steamer insert makes an excellent heat sink. With it, mine will maintain 230ºf without effort. Can't wait to see the finished pron!
Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by posey's_pork_pit View Post
I believe you'll find the steamer insert makes an excellent heat sink. With it, mine will maintain 230ºf without effort. Can't wait to see the finished pron!
The insert's working great so far; 3.5 hours in and rock solid at 230ºF.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Question...do you guys think you could use an SJG and do an SJS vent mod on it to help remove some of the ash on these longer cook?
You may not have the interior wing scrappers but might be able to evacuate some ash build up.

Just something to kick around...

Maybe someones done something like this?
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

With a SJS it would be possible because the vent is on the bottom, SJG, you'd have to modify it to get the ash out.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Got 5.5 hours of steady heat so far, I just checked the fuel and decided to add some before the temp started to drop.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

If ash is interfering with the air intake on the SJS, you should not be encountering that problem with the SJG.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #22
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

I have no issues with ash buildup in my SJG, I love having the vents where they won't have any issues with ash.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Matt, glad to see that it's working well :) I think this is a good example of taking the mini wsm to an extreme!

I picked up a couple of those NM/SE UF Cable Connectors at Lowes today. Let me know how well yours worked when you get a chance. I'm thinking about installing one on my drum but I'm concerned about that rubber holding up if I run my drum at 300 degrees or above...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #24
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
I have no issues with ash buildup in my SJG, I love having the vents where they won't have any issues with ash.
The vents are much better on the SJG (as you already know). You can modify the SJS simply by adding a small ball valve...just like you do on a UDS. Add it up high on the base and there will be no ash issues.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #25
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Matt, glad to see that it's working well :) I think this is a good example of taking the mini wsm to an extreme!

I picked up a couple of those NM/SE UF Cable Connectors at Lowes today. Let me know how well yours worked when you get a chance. I'm thinking about installing one on my drum but I'm concerned about that rubber holding up if I run my drum at 300 degrees or above...
Look on The BBQ Guru site. They sell a little hooter for WSM's that goes in one of the standard holes. It's hollow and allows for cables to enter the cooker. HERE is the link.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
jmellor
Full Fledged Farker

Matt- how much fuel did you go through on the cook? Interested in comparing notes versus the two 8lb butts I did on the offset yesterday. I probably went through 2/3 of a 20lb bag of kingsford blue for the butts. Were on at around 8-9 hours before they went in the cooler to rest. Next time I want to try the mini!

And nice job Chef Jim on joining the club!

"Yeah, all those things, responsibility, pressure. It`s a bit stressful. I try and come to terms with it by not thinking about it." - Joe Strummer
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

I used about 7 Lbs of charcoal in 15 hours ofcooking.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Look on The BBQ Guru site. They sell a little hooter for WSM's that goes in one of the standard holes. It's hollow and allows for cables to enter the cooker. HERE is the link.
I have one of those already in my WSM but I got one from rock's bbq and I'm not totally happy with it. The tube is just a tad too long/narrow for some of my probes to pass through. The probes that have a bend on them have to be straightened out a little to fit. The package I got from Rock's had two grommets in it and I have one in the WSM and another in the drum. I'm gonna replace the one in the drum with this larger one.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're going to do two sizeable cuts of meat, be prepared for a substantially longer cooking time than in a larger cooker. I pulled these out of the pit after 15 hours because they were barely into the 170s and popped them in the oven at 375 until done. I couldn't afford to lose a whole night of sleep. JM and I chatted about it last night. The free air space to meat ratio is way smaller than in a UDS, so it will not cook as efficiently. In other words, be very patient.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #30
fnnm358
is One Chatty Farker

I would like to build one of these to do the smaller items like moinks and abt's. maybe even some fatties