The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Help - How do I grill 2" Pork Chops like Patti's 1880's Settlement Restaurant

Patti's 1880's Settlement Restaurant in Paducah, KY has the best 2" thick pork chops. Tender and jucy. The best I have ever eaten. Had a real pork flaver to it also. How can I makes some like that at home? I have a weber performer or a offset smoker I can use.
I hope I can find a great thick pork chop recipe from one one the Brethren so I don't have to drive 400 miles to eat dinner.

If you don't have a thick chop recipe please give some good advise on how you would grill or smoke them.

Unread 08-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
NorCal Q Man
Full Fledged Farker

I've never eaten there, but a good idea is to brine, smoke, and then sear.

WSM 22.5"
Weber Genesis
NorCal Q Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
azken
On the road to being a farker

I found this via google...hope it helps.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5194

Marinate 2” chops in soy sauce overnight – coating both sides.

Soften 1 stick margarine (butter works better) to room temperature and mix with 1 tsp seasoning salt, 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp black pepper. Whip together and put back in refrigerator to set back up overnight.

Cook each chop 3 minutes on each side in the microwave on high.

Put on medium / medium low preheated grill.

Repeatedly spread the above butter mixture on the chops as grilling. Now, the recipe says to do that… but I’ve found through experience that it’s hard as heck to mix that concoction without breaking the margarine and winding up with a greasy solid lump floating in water and soy sauce. I normally just wait until I get ready to cook the chops and melt all that together in the microwave and use a brush to put the liquid on the chops as soon as they come out of the microwave and then baste them on the grill with it. Much easier and tastes exactly the same.

It should take 2” chops about 20 to 30 minutes to cook and apply one more liberal dose of the butter mix when you take them off the grill.

Most times we can’t find 2” chops here but can get 1” to 1 ˝”. I adjust the microwave time a bit and cut that butter recipe in half for 2 chops, otherwise the above recipe should be good for 4.
azken is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

So a restaurant that has "1880 Settlement" in its name is using a microwave to cook their pork chops. That does not seem right.

You can brine if you want, but I would not use soy sauce. A simple salt, sugar and apple cider vinegar brine would work. I do not brine my chops.

When I cook them I set the grill up for direct and indirect cooking. I use my favorite rub on them, get good grill marks on them, then move them to the indirect side until they hit 140*. With them being 2" thick. You may want to put them on the direct side standing on the bone so the meat next to the bone gets done. Saw that trick on a thread about lamb chops. Let the chops rest for 5 minutes and enjoy.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Decided to use the fancy search boxat the bottom of the Brethren page and found what I was looking for.

Check it out if your in the mood for 2" pork chops.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=65369

Tags
patti's pork chops, pork chops, thick pork chops