The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Tricky
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone use a Performer table to make a UDS cart?

I saw what looked like a Performer on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago for $30. I emailed immediately but someone had already beat me to it.

It got me thinking - the table seems like it would make a great UDS cart (assuming you didn't want the kettle). Has anyone used one of these tables to make into a UDS cart?

Unread 08-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
sbramm
Full Fledged Farker

Does a platinum cart count? My platinum was hit by a section of railing during demo of my deck and I broke the side table. Figuring I would find a use for the cart and the kettle I kept it around. Recently I put together my latest drum using the cart with a rebuilt table. Only real mod to the cart was bolting in some angle iron for the drum to rest on and some U bolts to secure the drum to the cart. Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110806_170007.jpg (61.6 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by sbramm; 08-17-2011 at 05:31 AM..
sbramm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
geo
Knows what a fatty is.

That looks nice. I always thought it would be cool to build a performer style table around the drum so only the weber lid was showing.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

There is another Brethren that made a Performer type cart for a WSM that looked really nice. I saved the post for future reference but I will have to look it up to repost. Your and his build look really nice and hopefully I can finish my build in the near future. Thank you both for the pron and ideas.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yeah, a Performer cart would be great for a UDS. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to find just the cart. My problem is that I see Performers on CL but its hard to sacrifice the full setup if the kettle is still good. And, it's unlikely that you would see a Performer cart on CL without the kettle. Still a chance though.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Riverside BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
Does a platinum cart count? My platinum was hit by a section of railing during demo of my deck and I broke the side table. Figuring I would find a use for the cart and the kettle I kept it around. Recently I put together my latest drum using the cart with a rebuilt table. Only real mod to the cart was bolting in some angle iron for the drum to rest on and some U bolts to secure the drum to the cart. Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out.
Very nice

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Walt[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
Riverside BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

I built this cart using ideas I got from my Performer.

I made a few adaptions and made it mobil...

Word of advice if you are wanting to build your own... make sure you build it wide enough that the drums fit in it. The first time I assembled it, I didn't account for the stiffner rings on the drums. I took the diameter measurement at the top of the drum and added an inch. When I went to put the drums on it, they wouldn't fit
So I had to tear it apart and add an inch to the center cross tubings so they would fit.
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
The best of both worlds. The UDS Performer!

Unread 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
My problem is that I see Performers on CL but its hard to sacrifice the full setup if the kettle is still good.
I had the same thought when I saw the grill on CL. I actually don't have a charcoal grill (just my drum and a Weber gasser) and as I thought about converting the old Performer I thought "why not keep the Performer and actually use it as it was intended?"

In the end I didn't have to face that dilemna, since someone scored the Performer out from under me. It had only been posted a few hours when I emailed and I was too late.