THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D

DpSyChO

I saved a Brinkmann Cimarron from being sold for scrap. Someone with more money then brains had left it out in the rain for a couple of years and had their yard man or who ever to take it off to the scrap metal yard. I had ask the guy that worked at the scrap yard to pull out any large diameter pipe (14-20") because I was wanting to build a smoker. I go by often as I can to check if he has me anything and the other day this smoker had just come in right before I got there. I was able to pick it up for a little more then scrap price. This thing is 1/4 thick material and weighed in at 235lbs according to the scales :thumb:. There is some surface rust but I am going to stick it in the shot blaster at work and give it a new coat of high temp paint. Problem is someone else took the wheels right before I got there, said they were going to put them on their hand truck according to the guy that pulled it to the side for me and didnt see someone pulling the wheels until after they had them off.
I see online there was two styles of wheels. A small wheel and a large wheel (the limited and deluxe) I know it is not the deluxe because it does not have the gas side burner.By looking at pics online, I'm not positive but I dont think it is not the limited because the legs that is supposed to have the wheels to me look too long on the one I have. What I need to know is the diameter of the factory wheels so I can source some the correct size. If someone has this grill and can give me the wheel measurements it would be a great help in order to cut out trial and error and guessing on my side and start using it.
Here is pics of the large and small wheel versions.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

I have one with the large wheels. They are 16" in diameter.

If you set it on a somewhat level surface and block the axle so the pit is level, measure from the center of the axle to the ground, you'll have the radius of the wheel. Multiply by 2 and you have the diameter.

I would guess the smaller wheels are about 4".

While I do not own that exact model, one of my tools is a Brinkmann Pitmaster Professional. I can tell you that it was my first horizontal smoker with uneven heating patterns and hard to control heat causing inconsistent outcomes, it actually caused me to all but give up smoking with horizontals.

I then read an article on several modifications to make the heat and smoke more consistent. I moded mine and went back to horizontal smoking. I just started a new re-mod of my own design that will allow liquid drain off out side the unit for easy clean up and redirection of internal smoke.

It was my first horizontal smoker in 1995/96, so I am partial to keeping it and using it when I use multiple smokers.

NICE CATCH........

If the manufacturer would have used the thought process of how smoking works, they could have designed a nice unit for the average homeowner. I feel their focus was more on looks and the money rather than functionality. But this is my opinion.

Link to mods
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html

and

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1943

Last edited:
One thing I did was add some 1/4" steel tuning plates (6" x about 13"). 4 or 5 of them. They go under the cooking grate, with very narrow gaps toward the firebox getting wider as you move away. Seems to help even out the temps. I also blocked off the top opening for the intake on the firebox. Makes it easier to adjust for temp control.

Nice score, i have a friend that has that smoker, he said the wheels are 5 1/2" in diameter.

I have one with the large wheels. They are 16" in diameter.

If you set it on a somewhat level surface and block the axle so the pit is level, measure from the center of the axle to the ground, you'll have the radius of the wheel. Multiply by 2 and you have the diameter.

I would guess the smaller wheels are about 4".

The pit should lean a little towards the smoke stack so any drippings go out through the hole at that end above the coffe can on mine.

picture.php

Brinkmann made the legs to do that but kept the gas burner parallel with the smoker so it leans a little to. My first mod was to cut and reweld the burner so it was level to the ground.

The pit should lean a little towards the smoke stack so any drippings go out through the hole at that end above the coffe can on mine.

picture.php

Brinkmann made the legs to do that but kept the gas burner parallel with the smoker so it leans a little to. My first mod was to cut and reweld the burner so it was level to the ground.

LOVE that Green Man!

The pit should lean a little towards the smoke stack so any drippings go out through the hole at that end above the coffe can on mine. Brinkmann made the legs to do that but kept the gas burner parallel with the smoker so it leans a little to. My first mod was to cut and reweld the burner so it was level to the ground.
I built a wood frame that mine sits on. When I'm cooking on it it leans so the drippings drain out the bottom hole under the stack, and when I'm not using it it rolls a couple inches toward the firebox and the front legs sit on a 2x4 so any water that gets in drains toward the firebox and out the forebox to the ground. That way there is no water sitting in the firebox when I'm not using it.

Thanks for the wheel measurements and the mod links, I'll be cutting some flat bar I have as in one of the above mod links. I already had the smoker apart and waiting to be blasted when I started this thread, I really wish I had taken pictures of this thing before I blasted it to compare how it is turning out. Due to the shape it was a nightmare to blast to the point that it suited me. Blast...flip over... climb up on the blaster table to pick up and let the steel shot drain out...blast, flip over, climb up on the blaster table to pick up and let the steel shot drain out....blast.................. 235lbs for the smoker plus at least a hundred pounds of shot piled up in it equals a pain to flip over and pick up.
At this point it is turning out really well, at least I think so. Others noted it had 5-1/2" wheels. After I blasted it I got one coat of paint on it and mocked up some 6" wheels I had off some casters and decided the factory height wasnt going to cut it. I like things to be up high to the point that I raised the kitchen countertops up a couple of inches then "normal" when we redid them. I think I'll go with a 12"+ wheel which should raise it 3" higher then what it was at with the 6" wheels. I have some tubing that just happens to be the same size as the front legs that I'd bought to do a roll cage. I'll use that to remake the front legs so their height matches the rear. A replacement thermometer has been ordered and I'm going to try and fabricate a new grate and put a second coat of paint on the outside when we get done with a drywall project we are doing. Pics to follow soon........ :eek:)

Back