ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 08-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default World, here I come!

After pondering BBQ as I walked through the Louvre :), something I've been doing for a few weeks, I've decided to start up a local farmers market stand! This would be with adult assistance more on the set-up and legality then the cooking.. they're comfortable with it though. Better then the 360 according to my parents... xD

Here's the idea:

Our local BBQ place shut down recently. Very celebrated, but even for Northern BBQ it was pretty mediocre. No smoke flavor, slathered with sauce. Tender and sweet, but still not that great for the public celebration. Now, there's a huge hole in this area for BBQ, not excellent competition stuff, but quality lunch type stuff. Here's stuff that's done/to do, and I need lots of help.

DONE:
Name- Bell Mt. Barbecue or Bell Mt. BBQ? Bell Mountain is a famous sledding mountain nearby that a lot of people know, and it has a good rythm. I hate the acronym BBQ, but does it look better on a sign?

Place- To start, I'll work only at the local farmers market. Apparently, according to the coordinator, the market was started by the HD and they allow anything, pre-prepared or prepared on site. Gotta check with the HD though.

ALMOST:

Menu- My famous Pulled Pork, marinated in apple cider vinegar and doused with black pepper, smoked for five hours with apple wood, and finished in the oven with foil, chopped/pulled and lightly covered with my orangy BBQ sauce. Kaisered.

Also, I'll sell a Thai beef brisket, which sounds odd, but it's just marinated in lemon juice, some cilantro, some pepper, and some mild yellow curry sauce, before grilling it under indirect heat and then into oven till finished. Sliced and Kaisered.

That's two dishes I pretty much master, for NJ purposes. Then I get into ribs. Baby backs, I'm not experienced with and run for around $5/pound around here. I do spare ribs a bit but do people like to eat them directly off the bone? I think two dishes and sides are enough to start with.

SIDES:

My family makes a mean mac-and-cheese, which is cooked mac n cheese mixed with TONS of extra sharp cheddar, white onion, and paprika, and baked for an hour to make a crispy outside and a cheesy inside.

Cole Slaw- Fresh cabbage and shredded carrot marinated in apple cider vinegar before drained and mayo, black pepper, dry mustard, and sugar are mixed in.

What else? Pan fries (French fries pan fried, not deep fried)

TO DO:

Must contact HD to check on the exclusion.

Get a vertical smoker( a Weber won't do it.. probably a cheapie Brinkmann)

-------

Long post, but please suggest/help.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

C'mon guys. I'd love advice as a start-up farmers stand. Won't open for nine months but I got tons to do.

Unread 08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Willie's Smokehouse
On the road to being a farker

I dont have any experience with farmers markets, PM Bigmista, he does these type things and may be able to help you out.
Willie's Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

The biggest hurdle might be the HD in this. You'll most likely need to be operating out of an approved and properly equipped kitchen, and they may have some 'not too friendly' rules about your cooker.

In this area we are only allowed to use our pit for on-site cooking; so it is being used just for catering right now. When our trailer/bistro open we'll be cooking all of the bbq items we serve in the oven {heavy wink wink} with no way to explain the beautiful smoke line and authentic bbq taste.

Unread 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thankfully it appears that the township wants to encourage this local farmers market thing for tourism purpose so I may have an exclusion for a while.. thanks.

Unread 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

You may want to keep your sides to a minimum initially, and offer the occasional special to see how those go?
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

^^^^^^ Agree with Deguerre! KISS and have a special side and keep track of what is selling. Then as you notice something is not selling drop it and move the special to everyday if possible.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, I'm going with Slaw def. and maybe a second one like Mac N Cheese Casserole. I'm not selling till March so I've got plenty of time to plan and test. Thinking of just dropping the brisket (few in NJ know what it is) and do the pork in a eastern N.C. style sauce and a K.C. style sauce.

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Now the HD is finally responding and they still want inspection. Erghhh I'm going to have to see their regulations on prepared on-site food.

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

There's another thread bouncing around with ideas for rentable kitchens you might want to subscribe to. There are usually plenty of kitchens around to potentially rent. Churches, schools fraternal organizations (Lyons club, Eagles) generally have underused and HD approved kitchens.

Also would be good to bear in mind that beyond just the cooking portion you'll need a (hd approved) location to do any prep work and store your unprepared foods.

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Here it's the opposite. You just need a freezer and a place to prep, not a place to cook.

Thanks

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
OL' Timer

You will find that NPO's do not have to be inspected. Church's , volunteer fire departments, rescue squads etc. fall into that category. You can not use them as your commissary

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

So really the lesson here is that your local by-laws regarding food handling are your required reading. They are different everywhere and are sometime as arbitrary as they are strict.

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Aargh, what happened to the days where the masters back in the day could just set up shacks on a country road with no licenses... that's what I'd love to do, but with not as good food. :/

Unread 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
OL' Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
Aargh, what happened to the days where the masters back in the day could just set up shacks on a country road with no licenses... that's what I'd love to do, but with not as good food. :/
Yep the good ol days, back when I got out of culinary school, I opened a restaurant and it was over 4 years before I had my first inspection. ahh the 60's :)

Thanks from:--->