The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
tipper
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cleaning Station Set Up

I will be entering my first competition next month. I will be doing a practice round this weekend and i am trying to figure out the best way to set up my cleaning station. From what i have read, I will be setting up three tubs (wash, rinse, and sanitize) on a 6' table and air dry on towels. I will have to bring hot water in a 5 gallon drink cooler. Will this be enough to get me through a competiton? Do all the cleaning tubs have to have hot water in them (is this a rule)? I have read a lot of threads from people talking about having a lot of hot water. What else would i need hot water for besides the cleaning? Thanks
tipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

We just use a utility sink that we bring and hook it up to the water at the event. no hot water. Just wash and rinse in the utility sink then put the dishes in a wash bucket to dry.

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

BSA method is wash is cold, rinse is warm and sanitize is hot

KCBS (from their website) is all can be cold but sanitize needs bleach
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser

super sneaky thermapen disguised as a protemp
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

go disposable for as much as possible. about the only thing i have to wash is my knives.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
nthole
Babbling Farker

We use 3 bus tubs. The can carry other stuff when needed and they store pretty well.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
tipper

The bus tubs are a good idea along with trying to go disposable. I have read a lot of different threads and so many people are talking about having hot water access i started to worry that i wouldn't have enough hot water to make it through the competition

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We use three bus tubs on a small table, and we take a turkey fryer to heat water and store it in a Rubbermaid drink cooler.

Pretty much all we need to wash is knives and utensils. Maybe Friday night dinner dishes.

The bus tubs are also handy for other uses during the weekend too.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
CMALANGA
On the road to being a farker

I don't know what sanctioning body you are competing under..sorry if I missed that, but KCBS doesn't require hot water. You are required to have a was, rinse, and sanitizing bin, bucket, whatever, and you're supposed to have bleach for the sanitizing station. Personally I don't let items air dry (except my cutting boards)because I don't have lot of room. I use paper towels and wipe down the items to restore them.
26" Weber Kettle
22.5" Weber Kettle
Large BGE
CMALANGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

We go with the three wash tubs, and also use a collapsible 5-gallon container for a hand wash station. If we're lucky - the sun is out and the water coming out of the hose is hot/warm when I'm filling it.

KCBS / NEBS / CBJ
MAK 2 Star General / Yoder YS640
2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / 3 - Weber kettle's
Backwoods Fatboy
PINK Thermapen
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Are you just competing, or doing vending/people's choice as well? At many venues here, if the public will be tasting your food then the local HD comes in with their own specifications, such as disposable towels only for handwash station, etc.

Bleach tabs are your friend -- cheap, easy to carry, easy to dispense. And the HD loves to see the test strips that go with them, also small and easy to carry.

Lastly, how much hot water you'll need depends on what you're doing at the contest. If you're serving/entertaining along with making contest entries, that ups the volume of dirty dishes considerably. Your cook process figures in too -- we have evolved ours to rely heavily on disposables and one-use items. I collect the one-use things in a fullpan, and it all goes into the empty garnish cooler at the end of Saturday, to get carried home for a wash.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
tipper

We are just competing (KCBS) so people's choice will not be an issue. I will have to look into the bleach tablets. Thanks

Unread 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

this probably won't apply to you, BUT, for future reference, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to wash lipids(meat fat)in cold water.

i.e the northeast in april.

but in the summer, ambient temp is plenty for me to get everything nice and shiny clean.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

To the best of my knowledge, in the more than ten years that I have been competing, I have only once been asked about my method of cleaning. It was in Rio Rancho and I produced the sanitizer solution from Sams in a spray bottle. I do not, nor have I ever had, three seperate tubs. If they are ever an Issue, I just get out three aluminum pans and show them. Most Items are throw away and those that are not, are washed and sanitized and allowed to air dry (THE ONLY WAY SANITIZERS WORK) and then reused. All BBQ items come home and go thru the dish machine after a contest regardless of their state of cleanliness ((sp) never could, just an engineer)).
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
To the best of my knowledge, in the more than ten years that I have been competing, I have only once been asked about my method of cleaning. It was in Rio Rancho and I produced the sanitizer solution from Sams in a spray bottle. I do not, nor have I ever had, three seperate tubs. If they are ever an Issue, I just get out three aluminum pans and show them. Most Items are throw away and those that are not, are washed and sanitized and allowed to air dry (THE ONLY WAY SANITIZERS WORK) and then reused. All BBQ items come home and go thru the dish machine after a contest regardless of their state of cleanliness ((sp) never could, just an engineer)).
i dig it. but how do you wash/sanitize without the "tubs"?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

rinse with a hose, wash using a bucket of suds, rinse with a hose, spray with sani and air dry. There is almost always a water source.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->