עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Too cool! I'm in the process of putting one together myself - glad I didn't get too far along before I saw this. Love the handle mod and the tab idea!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

Great idea.......

I think you may start something here.

Unread 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

I wish folks would keep posting things like this as now I have to have one. Got to head for Walmart to see if I can get the grill and tamale pot. Thanks for posting the build procedure, makes it a lot easier to build.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
Boshizzle

Thanks for the kind words, brethren.

I did a test fire in the smoker this evening and I was pleasently surprised at the results. I believed that it would do well but the results tonight exceeded my expectations.

I used about 1/2 a chimney of coals with about 1/2 of th lit. It took about 15 minutes to get up to 250 degrees F and about another 5 minutes to get up to 275 degrees F with the bottom and top vents wide open. When it reached about 270 F I backed the bottom vent down to about 1/3 open. It has been holding between 270 and 275 for a little over 2 hours without any tending. It's getting late so I'm going to shut down for the night.

I can't wait to try a pork butt on it this weekend.

My home Internet service is out right now and I have to access the site with my iPhone. But as soon as my home Internet is back up I will post some pics.

Unread 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Just finished my build. Tested the two $10 thermometers and they both read 207º in the boiling water test.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
Boshizzle

Whoa, nice! Can't wait for some reports on how well it's cooking!

Unread 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #22
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok, I am hooked. Time to find a pot and SJ. I really like some of the things you did Bo. cutting the bottom to hold the dish is great.

Ha! Looking again I missed the pallet of KB in the background. I see you also have a KB storage problem like I do

WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
Boshizzle

Ha, colonel! Yep, I have the same problem.

Unread 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Boshizzle

OK, here is pic I snapped yesterday during the first fire in my mini-WSM. I have to say that this little guy was a breeze to put away when I was done testing it last night.

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #25
Harbormaster

I am keeping my eyes peeled for another C Smokey Joe so I can build one.

Gotta.Have.One.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I am keeping my eyes peeled for another C Smokey Joe so I can build one.

Gotta.Have.One.
I know the feeling!

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #27
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

It's doing fine for it's virgin cook. It roared up to 425 when everything was wide open (hardwood lump) and I then brought it down and held it at 275 steady for awhile. Then I backed it down to 250 for the duration of the rib cook.

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
Boshizzle

^ It's amazing how well these things hold temp. It's got to be the best under $100.00 dollar cooker in history. In fact, it is better than any cooker that I know of under $250.00 with the exception of a UDS. I'm VERY pleased with how mine performed during the test fire.

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #29
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Very nice! I love the double stacker thing!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #30
Boshizzle

OK, I did the first cook Sunday. I cooked a rack of spares and a butt. There was a bigger learning curve than I thought it would be but once I made some adjustments everything went well. I used about 1 3/4 chimneys of charcoal and 4 chunks of hickory. It took me about an hour to figure out the best way to arrange the charcoal. I found that arranging it in a ring around the edges worked best. Once I got it dialed in it held solid temps for 7 hours with only a shake every 2 hours or so. Also, I found that being able to lift the tamale pot off the the SJ bottom was pretty convenient for getting at the fire and moving the fuel around.

The mini-WSM was a breeze to clean up after the cook which came in handy since a windy thunderstorm developed near the end of the cook. All I had to do was remove the tamale pot and dump the ash in my 18 gallon metal trash can, seal the lid and that part was done. After that it was just a matter of wiping down the pot and the grates. I used an aluminum pan for the butt so that also made clean up a lot easier.

Here are some pics of the butt and the ribs.The ribs don't have a glaze on them that's why they aren't as shiny as some may expect. These ribs are cooked to my personal specifications which include no sugary glaze. The BBQ was delicious and was as good as anything that has come from my UDS or Bubba Keg. It was well worth the $50.00 or so bucks I have in it.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 08-15-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Boshizzle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mini WSM, Mini-WSM, Smoker Joe, Smokey Joe