拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Smile Asiago Mozzarella Soppresata Pizza on the FrankenWeber

I realized I never posted these pics, so thought I would share them with you now. I thought I would try a slightly different pizza, so when I found a package of Soppreseta and sliced Asiago cheese, this seemed perfect. Soppreseta is a spicy salami, and Asiago is a sharp drier cheese, a little like Parmesan but with a nuttier flavor.

Once I hand stretched the dough, I put it on my peel with some semolina flour underneath:

Then sauced the pie:

Topped with mozzarella and crushed oregano:

Then some Asiago cheese:

Didn't get a shot pre-cook of the Soppreseta on top, but this is how the pizza came out of the FrankenWeber Pizza kettle:

The pizza was very good, but the Asiago was a tad salty...
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks fantastic from here. Any tips on how you get your dough so uniform and purdy?
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

That pizza looks beyond awesome... I love asiago and it is a great addition to pizza even blended with parmesan. I like to make an occasional 'white pie' that has no tomato sauce using parmesan, asiago, and whatever other white cheeses I have on hand... nice work :)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

Holy Shamoly, Moose.

I could eat that whole thing by myself!

Looks beautiful!
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
bluetang

Moose Man, you are the pizza dude! That is (well, all your pies are) farkin killer. Dangus!
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown Kettle, 3 UDS's, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Stumps XL Baby, Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill
bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Looks fantastic from here. Any tips on how you get your dough so uniform and purdy?
I take the dough out of the fridge for 20 mins and let it sit. Then I shape the dough into a 10 inch round, put it in a glass pan with olive oil sprayed on the bottom, and let sit covered for another 20 mins. I believe they call this "proofing", and it makes a huge difference in easily being able to shape a round. The proofing really helps the dough to "relax" and makes shaping into the final pie MUCH easier.

After that, I just stretch the dough by hand, which usually takes about 60 seconds to get it into a 15 inch round. This part takes practice, but is not as difficult as one would think, especially when following the above proofing method.

Here's a good video that does a good job of showing the hand stretching technique I more or less use:

‪Homemade Pizza Recipe : Prepare Dough For Homemade Pizza‬‏ - YouTube
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

That looks fantastic, soppresata on pizza is a great idea. Thanks for the pics.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Pizza looks far better than anything that those places deliver.
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Mmmmm Good looking Pizza!!

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
MikeyLuvsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Excellent recipe and exceptional crust! Asiago is a very salty cheese, try shredding it and blending it with other shredded Italian cheeses like Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano for a more balanced flavor.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLuvsBBQ View Post
Excellent recipe and exceptional crust! Asiago is a very salty cheese, try shredding it and blending it with other shredded Italian cheeses like Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano for a more balanced flavor.
Good point...next cook I'm going to try a 50/50 blend of mozzarella and provolone to see how that turns out.
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Great looking pizza. I haven't done one on my cookers for fear I'll be eating it all the time.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
deguerre

Excellent Moose! Love hot soppresata, one of my favorites.
Currently in absentia...
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Yum oh yum, I love pizza and that one looks fantastic Moose!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I take the dough out of the fridge for 20 mins and let it sit. Then I shape the dough into a 10 inch round, put it in a glass pan with olive oil sprayed on the bottom, and let sit covered for another 20 mins. I believe they call this "proofing", and it makes a huge difference in easily being able to shape a round. The proofing really helps the dough to "relax" and makes shaping into the final pie MUCH easier.

After that, I just stretch the dough by hand, which usually takes about 60 seconds to get it into a 15 inch round. This part takes practice, but is not as difficult as one would think, especially when following the above proofing method.

Here's a good video that does a good job of showing the hand stretching technique I more or less use:

&#x202a;Homemade Pizza Recipe : Prepare Dough For Homemade Pizza&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube
Thanks. That does help a bit and I will definitely do this in the future. I knew about letting the dough rest but not to this extent. Have to keep those glutens happy ya know.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote