The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Is winning enough?

Is being the Grand Champion of a competition enough or...

Does it have to be sanctioned?
Does it have to be a qualifier?
Does it have to have enough money?
Does it have to have electricity?
Does it have to have the right number of teams?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"?
Does it have enough potential TOY points?
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon)

My first two grand championships were small non-sanctioned fair type contests. Was far, far from being the Jack, the Royal, or MIM. As GC, I won my entry fee back. And we liked it!!!

Is winning enough for you?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Somedays its not even bought winning as it is about being away from work ,home shop etc. Winning is great and being able to pay a few bilss is nice sometimes also. We compete in a couple contests where you wont win enuff back to pay the entry but they are usually some of the better events we go to. Kinda swore off non sanctioned deals after not getting scores at a couple and being told we were not welcome at another. Not to say there are not good ones out there .
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Being new and not having won yet I can only guess but i think yes. Actually just doing well is pretty sweet. As for sanctioned or not I think a win is a win. I enjoy seein the " good teams" at a contest. To do well aginst the teams with a proven record is rewarding to me even if they beat me I find satisfaction in being able to run close. But, all that said just to get it all turned in is good also..keith

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

A win anywhere is a win. But there are different wins, the bigger the contest the more weight the win carries. Kind of like winning Daytona or the Indy 500 carries more prestige than other races.

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Never won a GC, only competed once so far. With your help I got a call in Pork.
Get to do my next contest this week and cant wait. Swine Assassins are in the event and I would be tickled if I could beat them in even 1 category. They seem to be hitting on all 8 right now. Thats the kinda thing that keeps me excited.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it all depends on your goals, and those can change over time. At the heart of it all you have to have fun and enjoy it, otherwise you would be better off staying home. But this is "competitive" for a reason. You should always be striving to do better than you did before.

Winning a GC in an amateur contest is a great way to start, but it will likely drive you to try your hand at going "pro". To start you will want to just get all your entries in on time an not be DAL. From there you will want to end up middle of the pack...then top half...then top 10...then an RGC...then your GC.

You will want to improve your ranking and start to see how you do against the "good" teams, and try and start beating them too. You will want to be seen as a team to beat by other teams.

Then you will want to get out to the big contests. Along the way you will want to earn enough money to make your hobby/obsession as affordable as possible so you can do it more and justify the expense.

After doing well at the big contests you will want to just go back to having fun and realize that that was what it was all about from the beginning.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

OH NO!!!! Winning without having the fun of cue's your daddy conversations or sheep jokes from Blazing butts or a hug from Julie at Swamp pit or any of the hundred other things that occur personally at a comp is a hollow win. Fun to win, no doubt, more fun to be there and compete. Just my two cents....
1 Weber Gold Series Grill
1 WSM
1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

I'm not completely positive I understand your question, Todd but I think with the cost involved in competing anymore, you have to at least hope for some good payouts. I can't cook without winning cash - which makes it pretty difficult to do! LOL! I prefer sanctioned events because you know exactly what to expect wherever you go. Qualifiers? Well, since one of my last goals in BBQ is to just make it to The Jack, I'd say yes, I'd want it to be a qualifier. We have MORE than accomplished what we only dreamed we could do in competition BBQ... except for cooking in Lynchburg! Last year, TOY points mattered to us. This year and the five years prior to last year, not at all.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Plowboy

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I've won 2 reserves. One sanctioned, one non-sanctioned. Made the same amount of $$$ at both and loved every minute of each of them. I'll be honest, if I do get a GC I want it to be at a sanctioned contest, and I want it to be at a qualifier. In my mind the goal is an invite to the American Royal - and I want to earn the bragging rights that belong to recognized champions. And as a quailifier I would love to be part of the event that is the Jack draw. Those are my two comp dreams. Money never enters my mind - until I don't win any :)

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

Huminie- you are dead on. Happens in a lot of sports and organized social type groups.
Theresa B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We are a small time competition team. if we hear our team name called (other than when they hand out turn in boxes) we had a successful contest.

Last year at Princeton we got called in 3 meats. I walked around with a silly ass smile on my face for a week.

I might as well have been GC.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

just trying to hit some of are personal goals . and being around some of the best people out there.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
riblette
On the road to being a farker

Default You who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
I think it all depends on your goals, and those can change over time. At the heart of it all you have to have fun and enjoy it, otherwise you would be better off staying home. But this is "competitive" for a reason. You should always be striving to do better than you did before.

Winning a GC in an amateur contest is a great way to start, but it will likely drive you to try your hand at going "pro". To start you will want to just get all your entries in on time an not be DAL. From there you will want to end up middle of the pack...then top half...then top 10...then an RGC...then your GC.

You will want to improve your ranking and start to see how you do against the "good" teams, and try and start beating them too. You will want to be seen as a team to beat by other teams.

Then you will want to get out to the big contests. Along the way you will want to earn enough money to make your hobby/obsession as affordable as possible so you can do it more and justify the expense.

After doing well at the big contests you will want to just go back to having fun and realize that that was what it was all about from the beginning.
Dude, there are an awful lot of "you"s in that assessment. Which "you" are you refering to? Plowboy? Me? All of us? Or, maybe you are speaking for yourself, in which case, "I want" may be a little more accurate

Speaking for myself, I'm happiest when I've had fun, learned a little bit, and when the entire team is successful. For KCBS we split the 4 meats between two of us cooks - I won't be totally satisfied until we've all turned in something we're happy with and we've all had a good time...win or not.

We've never won a GC in a sanctioned contest...we plan to shut the competitive part of the operation down if and when we ever do.

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Does it have to be sanctioned? Yes, for the most part
Does it have to be a qualifier? No
Does it have to have enough money? Makes it worthwhile...
Does it have to have electricity? No
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Yes
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Yes
Does it have enough potential TOY points? No
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) No

I've yet to GC, but RGC'd now 3 times (we only compete 3 comps per year). Like said earlier, more than anything else, it's the walk.