ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question for Judges on Ribs and Chicken

So what % of the turn-in boxes has sauce on them?

What is your personal opinion on leaving the sauce off?

I think the sauce makes the ribs nice and shiny, but I prefer both of these plain, but heard you must sauce, if you want a good score? Is this true?

troy
bearnakedbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

for chicken and ribs, i think so. for pork a little bit helps. brisket can do well without it. keith

Thanks from: --->
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

chicken and ribs - yes, you're right that sauce helps with the appearance scores - but - probably about half of the judges I've talked to say that they appreciate a well cooked piece of chicken and a rib that has either no sauce or very light sauce.

With pork, sauce helps kick the flavor up, but if you get the flavor up with injection then you don't need as much sauce.

Agreed with mobow - brisket does great without sauce - but the juice makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps -
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnakedbbq View Post

I think the sauce makes the ribs nice and shiny, but I prefer both of these plain, but heard you must sauce, if you want a good score? Is this true?

troy
I think you should leave sauce off the turn-in box.... it makes the box look messy.

save the sauce for the meat

Unread 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When I cook at home I serve it dry with sauce(s) on the side. You can't do that at a KCBS comp so it's either sauce on the meat or serve it nekkid. Unfortunatly mobow has hit it pretty good - you'll probably tank if you turn in chicken or ribs dry. It shouldn't matter, they should be judged on their own merits, but the reality is that a lot of judges want the sauce.

I, on the other hand would rather taste the meat .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Default It just looks better

A nice and shiney piece of meat always looks better. I've been told and tend to agree that you look for a piece of meat that you would pick over others of a similar type in a buffet line to help formulate the appearance score.

Think of it this way:

We've all seen primered or unpainted race cars be the class of the field on any particular race day but, they aint gonna win no best of car show dough...

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I've judged a couple contests. 100% of the ribs and chicken have had sauce on them.

Quote:
Personal opinion...I don't sauce my ribs at home. But my personal opinion doesn't really matter when judging competition ribs or chicken.

Quote:
Your preferences as a cook or consumer don't matter in competition BBQ. You aren't cooking for yourself at a comp, you are cooking for the judges and you need to offend the least amount of those judges at the judging table. If a rib entry has sauce on them, and the sauce complements the rub, smoke, and meat, I would venture to say it would consistently score better than an unsauced rib.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
Weber Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

I've judged far more turn-ins that are sauced than unsauced, but I've given top scores to unsauced meat, too. A beautiful and consistent glaze is hard to beat, but if the ribs and chicken have good color without it I have no problems with them at all.
Now you can certainly oversauce meat. I'm not a big fan of a sticky mess, even if I don't (can't) take points off for it unless the sauce is pooled, but spending a lot of time cleaning honey or whatever off my face and hands makes me grumpy.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken and ribs have always been served sauced in all KCBS comps I have judged. No pooled sauce as that will disqualify your entry.

Unread 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
SuperQue
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, the majority of Chicken and ribs are turned in with sauce, especially chicken. It's the most heavily sauced and when done properly they look fantastic. Now that being said one of the best chicken entries I've tried had no sauce but was one of the best I've ever had.

Unread 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
mfreeman73
On the road to being a farker

In the comps I've judged, most all of the chicken and ribs have sauce on them to some degree. The chicken at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren this past weekend had the sauciest chicken I've ever had. I think went through a paper towel roll just in that one category. :P

Pork usually has some sauce mixed into the pulled stuff. Brisket is rarely sauced, at least not with your typical bbq sauce.

[URL="http://www.theyankeerebels.com"]Yankee Rebels[/URL]
mfreeman73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

I am still working on my chicken and am convinced it is the devil. Question for you comp guys who reduce your fats, rather than scrape...do you just season under the skin and on the chicken, and leave the topside untouched until finish sauce?

Unread 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

As a judge, I judge higher on appearance for meat that appears moist (as opposed to dry), which means that on chicken and ribs I generally score higher for appearance on sauced meat than un-sauced meat.

On pork and brisket - moist looks better, but NOT heavily sauced! And especially don't make it look like you "sauced" your pork and brisket AFTER putting it in the box!
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

If the chicken box passed in front of me had 6 pieces of golden brown chicken that had what appeared to be crispy skin, I personally find that more appealing than the candied chicken I so often have to take a bite of... but yes, most entries come across the table sauced/glazed.

Unread 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
CMALANGA
On the road to being a farker

As a judge and competitor I've seen both saced and non-sauced entries. Personally I hate the appearence catagory, but in focusing on the meat if it looks like it took time to prepare - chicken skin is wrapped and not shriveled, etc. I'll mark that higher than a saced entry that looks junky or over saced. Having said that in competition I always glaze the chicken for turn in. Ribs I personally prefer a crust to a very loose sauce. But again if it looks like time went into it I don't mark anybody down. In competition we generally glaze our ribs so they are shined up but not "wet" necessarily. Appearence wise we've done pretty well with both catagories.
26" Weber Kettle
22.5" Weber Kettle
Large BGE
CMALANGA is offline   Reply With Quote