עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Parruthead
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Craigslist scores! Weber Performer and a Outdoor Oven !

Well this is the weekends haul for me so far.. If I ever get a call back on the Orion Cooker I really want it will be a Trifecta for me this weekend!!

I saw this last weekend but the seller was out of town and today was the first chance we could get together, I bought this Vintage Coleman Outdoor military oven, It has a date stamp of 1951! It is gas powered and made out of stainless steel! If I can't make it function as oven to make bread outside it will be converted to a smoker.

Anybody with a armed forces career ever use something like this? Google didn't turn up much.

Then I found a Weber performer later on this afternoon. It came with 2 Chimney's and 35 pounds of charcoal, It needs a front caster and the ignition system repaired.

The kicker was it was 60 miles from my place and was with in 2 miles of the oven i had picked up this morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0989.jpg (76.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0987.jpg (43.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0997.jpg (30.8 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0998.jpg (52.0 KB, 282 views)
1- 84" Lang wide Body, 1-22.5" WSM,4-18.5" WSM's 1-UDS with custom cart, #2 La Caja China 2- Weber Performers, 2-22.5" Weber OTS 1-18" Weber OTS 2-Orion Cookers, 1-8' Event Gasser,
1- Terracotta pig and 1-Terracotta Elephant and One very understanding wife...
Parruthead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Poor old Performer needs some work there... But sure looks like a good score!
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

A redhead!!! Get some Bar Keeper's Friend... will clean a lot of that junk off.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

I was a cook in my reserve unit in the early 70's and that is the type of stove we used all the time unfortunately I just don't recall how it was heated. I will go to the way back time machine and try to figure it out. I am sure someone will chime in that really has a handle on this stove. I do remember that they were efficient.

As I am editing this I seem to remember that there were 2 cylindrical gas tanks similar to pontoons with connections to the burner that was mounted between the the cylinders. This setup was mounted on rails so it could be slid in to the bottom of the oven .

I imagine you could use a propane tank with the appropriate size burner to conduct the fire.

Hope this helps.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6906

I found this link when I googled military field oven. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and there are some pics and good info for you.

Unread 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Parruthead
Full Fledged Farker

Whats the best way to shine the kettle back up? Regular soap and elbow grease and with a little help from a pressure washer? I'm so excited to get to working on it problem is I'm busy all day :( I might get sometime to work on it this evening though..

Thanks porky for the info. Yes it does have some bottle type holders I think four one in each corner. There is still a burner assembly in there, Is that big round holder thing for a pot of some sort so that you can boil potatoe's or water?
1- 84" Lang wide Body, 1-22.5" WSM,4-18.5" WSM's 1-UDS with custom cart, #2 La Caja China 2- Weber Performers, 2-22.5" Weber OTS 1-18" Weber OTS 2-Orion Cookers, 1-8' Event Gasser,
1- Terracotta pig and 1-Terracotta Elephant and One very understanding wife...
Parruthead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Yes. that is correct, it held a big a-- pot.

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Smoked
Full Fledged Farker

The Performer looks like a nice project and a redhead to boot!!!

I would suggest disassembling the whole thing and clean each individual part and replace what's necessary. That way you'll have a brand spanking new Performer ready for active duty!!!

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
ianjoe
Full Fledged Farker

Ha, I emailed that guy yesterday about the performer. Explains why he didn't respond! Was debating whether it was worth the drive, but I am in Wausau for work every week or so.
That oven looks like a good score.
ianjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Pause for a commercial break. Polish Plus has a fantastic polish that works on SS. you can use a 2inch sanding disk with a paper towel of cloth. Will make it look like new.

http://polishplus.com/ Call and ask for the Brethren's discount.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Unique1
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice score Collin!!! You win this round! Let's see some pics when you get it cleaned up!

Unread 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice score. I landed a SS Performer a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it no longer had the propane tank but I would not be able to refill it even if I had it. I am looking for a way to convert the burner to use the mini tanks. I just haven't found a good How To yet.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
web G2K
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great looking performer, well it has potential anyway ;)

I have an identical redhead I just fixed up. Get some BP blaster or your penetrating oil of choice and soak all the screws and bolts a few times before taking it apart.

I snapped a bolt connecting the brace on the bottom of the frame, the one that holds the tank bracket. I just used a bolt to hold the bracket but the missing bar really makes the whole thing wobbly when rolling it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Nice score. I landed a SS Performer a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it no longer had the propane tank but I would not be able to refill it even if I had it. I am looking for a way to convert the burner to use the mini tanks. I just haven't found a good How To yet.

You could probably use the assembly from a new style performer, Im sure weber can hook you up if you call them.

You might have to fab up a way to mount the assembly your self but thats the fun part.
web G2K is offline   Reply With Quote