The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
keale
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Grass fed beef...

So a friend gave me a couple of Porterhouse steaks, and 7 blade steaks, it came from their cow, that was ONLY Grass Fed... My experience with these are that they are "gamey"

Any ideas how to get rid of the "gamey" taste? NO! I will not ship 'um to you either!
Thanks
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have not had the 'gamey' taste profile in grass finished beef that folks talk about, or it does not bother me. That being said, a 4 to 6 hour soak in a milk brine will draw some of the gamey flavor out, it makes it milder. Soaking in wine or beer can also do this. Hehe, a friends dad swore by soaking his steaks in Primo beer and then a real heavy coating of alae salt. He said it made the steaks taste better. I was never sure how adding Primo to anything made it taste better, I think it was the Hawaiian salt.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I've never experienced a gamey taste in grass fed beef, it is generally drier, a lot less marbling of the fat that is found in grain fed beef.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

It's kind of like Deer, everyone says it's gamey. I cook mine hot and fast, works every time.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

No idea how to get rid of that gamey taste. I purchased some flap meat from Australia and it had that same gamey taste. I had to use a load of steak sauce but still could taste it. Good luck.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
JD08
Full Fledged Farker

I'm sure you'll try a marinade of some kind, but you could always try the topping in the recipe below. It's fantastic.

http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/M...alGroupId=1001
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Most beef sold in Australia is purely grass fed. I really do not know what you mean by "Gamey". Gamey, to me is a goat that's been hung for a week in a tree in India in Summer!

I do buy grain fed beef when I go to Costco, because that's all they have, and I do find it has a different flavour profile, but I would not call it better than grass fed, just different.

Just cook it up as you normally would and treat the taste as "different" but not "gamey".
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
caseydog

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Most beef sold in Australia is purely grass fed. I really do not know what you mean by "Gamey". Gamey, to me is a goat that's been hung for a week in a tree in India in Summer!

I do buy grain fed beef when I go to Costco, because that's all they have, and I do find it has a different flavour profile, but I would not call it better than grass fed, just different.

Just cook it up as you normally would and treat the taste as "different" but not "gamey".
I think it is because of what people have gotten used to in the US. Somebody did taste testing of corn fed vs. grass fed beef, and in most other countries, people preferred grass fed beef. But, in the US, corn fed was more preferred.

I guess folks here like the flavor of chemicals, hormones and atnibiotics over the flavor of, well, beef.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Grass fed beef needs to be finished off in a feed lot eating corn for weeks and weeks to get great taste. You can marinate range beef. Try pineapple juice with soy sauce and garlic and onion powder. Marinate 24 hours minimum. That really helps.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Also, just like Deer meat, Use as little of the fat that comes with the animal. I trim all the fat off my venison as that is where the game taste resides. Try to trim up the beef and if need be, use a bacon wrap to keep it moist.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keale View Post
So a friend gave me a couple of Porterhouse steaks, and 7 blade steaks, it came from their cow, that was ONLY Grass Fed... My experience with these are that they are "gamey"

Any ideas how to get rid of the "gamey" taste? NO! I will not ship 'um to you either!
Thanks
The "gamey" taste is usally from hormones, with deer, bear, and elk a male has a strong flavor because of the hormones. Yet a female of the same species is great flavor and has the fat to keep the meat moist.

Was it from a bull or a steer (castrated bull) or is it possible they could not cold dry age the beef before cutting. Non aged beef has a stronger flavor as the enzymes have not broken down the inner cell tissue.

Unread 08-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I buy grass fed beef "on the hoof", four weeks on corn before slaughter, and it tastes great.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keale View Post

Thanks
I'm with you brother, az "grass"fed us some nasty chit...well not nasty but not beefy....and when I want want beef...not deer or elk, beef....i like deer and elk...but only when I want deer and elk..

That being said grampa raises cattle (a few each year) and they are in a grass pasture IN MINNESOTA that is rotated throughout the year (4 total pastures)at the end if their first year he picks one and sends it off in its last few months to get finished...(on oats I think) and that fellas (and ladies) is the way to do beef

Posted from my fancy android fone!!
GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I think it is because of what people have gotten used to in the US. Somebody did taste testing of corn fed vs. grass fed beef, and in most other countries, people preferred grass fed beef. But, in the US, corn fed was more preferred.

I guess folks here like the flavor of chemicals, hormones and atnibiotics over the flavor of, well, beef.

CD
100% completely agree. Unfortunately the common feeling in the US is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
I'm with you brother, az "grass"fed us some nasty chit...well not nasty but not beefy....and when I want want beef...not deer or elk, beef....i like deer and elk...but only when I want deer and elk..

Oat/Corn fed is not a natural diet for a cow and in changes the biochemical mix in the muscles giving a larger, fattier, and far less healthy cut of meat. I eat grass fed exclusively and I've never found it to be gamey like wild game, but follow Landarc's advice on soaking it.

And some good info on the health benefits on grass fed:
http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
caseydog

Downloads: 1

I like grass fed beef. I like the meaty flavor, and you can get good marbling with grass feeding, but it takes longer. Agribusiness wants cattle to go to market in a year, not two years. If they could raise in in six months using nuclear waste as feed, they would tell us that nuclear waste is good for us.

I eat corn-fed, feedlot beef, because there aren't a lot of options at the local Kroger. But, I consider it a treat when I get to eat a high-quality grass fed ribeye. I cook it hot-and-fast, to medium rare, and sometimes, don't even make a side dish. Just steak.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->