The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default General Farmers Market/Fair Question

Now, this isn't for me, since I'm not sure if a minor could even sell food, but I got a general farmers market/fair question.

We have a feed mill down the road. A local club or commitee or something like that organizes an informal farmers market at the feed mill.

Let's just say a family member is very, very talented with pastries, cakes, and pies but doesn't sell them for some reason, can't figure out where to get started. What is the legal rule on this? I guess what I'm asking is that in all the farmers market discussions here I don't see anything about legality.. I'm assuming she'd legally have to bake her cakes in a pro kitchen. But what's the real down to earth law?

Same thing, but with pulled pork, or brisket? Would you really need to go legal to sell PP sandwhiches at a farmers market where people are selling drinks, produce, and home canned salsas without any identifiable legal papers?
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

In Jersey the law is probably some official has to be paid first... under the table that the pastries are sold on.

Seriously though... call the town health department.
This type of stuff, especially for farmers markets differ from county to county and state to state.
Here in Austin I see people selling stuff out of crock pots.
Some use the pro license of their brick and mortar store, others I am not so sure about.

(Cracked about Jersey cause I lived there for 30 years. Shhh... do not tell anyone though. Don't want my Texan neighbors to know. )
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

True that Smiter. Hell, I might get someone to give them a call (would municipal government take me seriously???? :D)

These pastries are so incredible they need to be sold, and hell, making some money myself would be nice. Only 'cue I can do well, a pork shoulder. And everyone loves it nowadays.

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
True that Smiter. Hell, I might get someone to give them a call (would municipal government take me seriously???? :D)

These pastries are so incredible they need to be sold, and hell, making some money myself would be nice. Only 'cue I can do well, a pork shoulder. And everyone loves it nowadays.

Most of the Farmers Markets have some type of organizing board and are super friendly. Though in NJ.. maybe not as friendly. I would call the local health department and ask them about rules for baked goods at a farmers market. Would also try to call the organizers of the market themselves. They may have some type of exemption or have a direct answer. Heck.. I would call both and then make an educated decision. Don't think too many folks would make a stink about a tasty pie being sold. I know I would not mind.

Hope your little baker finds fame and fortune. I personally think Farmers Markets are great places to conduct small scale baked goods business.

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

yes, I agree. i'll e-mail the organizers (no phone #... :palm)

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
(Cracked about Jersey cause I lived there for 30 years. Shhh... do not tell anyone though. Don't want my Texan neighbors to know. )
Wait...yer from Joizey?!?
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

&#x202a;South Park: It's a Jersey Thing: Whats up with that?!&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
deguerre

&#x202a;NJHOF 2008 - Joe Piscopo's New Jersey Song&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Wait...yer from Joizey?!?

Shhhhhhhhh........ do not let that get out! I don't want to tarnish my TEXAN image.

If you ever seen the Soprano's, the opening scenes were very close to my neighborhood.

Last edited by Smiter Q; 08-03-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Unread 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
FlCracker
Knows what a fatty is.

In Florida we now have cottage industries law(might be the correct name)that allows and individual to make certain food items in your home kitchen.You are allowed to make $15,000 yr.Cakes,bread (with some exceptions) No BBQ sauce is not allowed
500 gal homebuilt smoker
FlCracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

There was an article in the Washington Post online edition yesterday talking about "Grey" Farmer's Markets springing up in urban areas. They are allowing unlincensed food vendors to peddle their stuff. At the end of the day, the experts said it was illegal.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

In Virginia baking does not fall under HD it is regulated under the dept of ag and you can bake what ever you want and sell it as well. So is ice cream, anything else and you have to deal with the HD and have a HD inspected kitchen.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #13
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
Now, this isn't for me, since I'm not sure if a minor could even sell food, but I got a general farmers market/fair question.

We have a feed mill down the road. A local club or commitee or something like that organizes an informal farmers market at the feed mill.

Let's just say a family member is very, very talented with pastries, cakes, and pies but doesn't sell them for some reason, can't figure out where to get started. What is the legal rule on this? I guess what I'm asking is that in all the farmers market discussions here I don't see anything about legality.. I'm assuming she'd legally have to bake her cakes in a pro kitchen. But what's the real down to earth law?

Same thing, but with pulled pork, or brisket? Would you really need to go legal to sell PP sandwhiches at a farmers market where people are selling drinks, produce, and home canned salsas without any identifiable legal papers?
If it's informal, I wouldn't approach the Health Department. If they don't know about it, they might come out and close the whole thing down. You don't want to live with the guilt of destroying the income of all those folks. Go to the market and ask the Market Manager if they are Certified first. If they are, they will already be registered with the HD.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote