The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Willie's Smokehouse
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I like mine the Wampus way. They were awesome.

^^^^^what he said
Willie's Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I feel that a side dish is no less important than the meat, I don't use canned beans. Would you serve store bought boil in the bag pulled pork or brisket? My opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #18
ThrilloftheGrill
Found some matches.

Talking Pork Drippings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellor View Post
How do you like your beans? I usually do simple beans, B&M or something. I doctor them up with hunts, yellow mustard, some BBQ rub, and some BBQ sauce. Sometimes I will pour in half a can of coke. I think yesterday I used my extra hot BBQ sauce instead of the milder one by accident.

They came out great with a nice heat to them. Never thought of making spicy beans with BBQ before. But it was a nice surprise!

I usually serve a sweet tangy bean but now will keep this in the rotation. Next time I want to put them on the pit like I've seen here.

How do you all like your baked beans?
We made a rack to hold a couple of shoulders above the grate and keep the pans of beans underneath the shoulders so the pork drippings go into the beans and it adds so much flavor. Give it a try im sure you'll like it...

Unread 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
jmellor
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
I feel that a side dish is no less important than the meat, I don't use canned beans. Would you serve store bought boil in the bag pulled pork or brisket? My opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
Maybe I will get there eventually...Now I focus on the meat and don't want my sides to take center stage.

I use canned beans, corn bread from a mix, and sauce from a jar. But I do doctor them all up. Sounds like I have some work to do...

"Yeah, all those things, responsibility, pressure. It`s a bit stressful. I try and come to terms with it by not thinking about it." - Joe Strummer
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
ThrilloftheGrill
Found some matches.

Default You had me @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHowler View Post
I almost never make BBQ beans the same way twice. I'm always tweaking something in the recipe to find the perfect BBQ beans.

Last week I took two cans of Krogers pork and beans added about 1 cup chopped up black cherries, half a sweet white onion, 1/4 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, 3 tbs Jim Beam Red stag Black Cherry Bourbon, 2 tbs molasses, 2 tbs honey, and several dashes of Professor Payne Indeass's Sphincter Shrinker Hot sauce. (your favorite hot sauce will work)

Baked in the oven at 350º until all nice and bubbly.

I love my beans sweet and spicy!
Jim Beam Red Stag......

Unread 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #21
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Default beans

I use Bush's. I put a healthy shake of rub in them as well as some finely chopped leftover pulled pork, some chopped onion and bell pepper, some bbq sauce. Heat them up on the smoker for a few hours until they are bubbling in the middle and you will be in bean heaven.

Unread 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
TDaddy
Got Wood.

I searched a while for a good bbq beans recipe and I stumbled upon it one day and have made it ever since. Every time I've made it for my friends someone has commented on how awesome they are. The only thing I do differently is I usually add a gratuitous pour of Jim Beam and I grill up chunks of applewood smoked bacon until they're cooked and then chop them up before adding them to the mix. Oh man, now i'm hungry. I think I'm gonna make a batch this weekend!

http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305_4.html

Best Barbecued Beans on the Planet

Method: indirect grilling
Serves: 12 to 16

• 1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
  • 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
  • 3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans
  • 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
  • 1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 to 6 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (for hotter beans, leave the seeds in)
  • 2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)
  • 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, or more to taste
  • 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste
  • 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional; see Note)
  • Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
You'll also need:
1 large (turkey-size) or 2 medium-size aluminum foil pans; 2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably pecan or hickory) soaked for 1 hour in hot water to cover, then drained.
1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, saving a few tablespoons for the beans, if desired.
2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and add the onion, bell and poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapenos and stir to mix. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, if using, and brisket or fried bacon and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful. Transfer the bean mixture to the aluminum foil pan or pans. (If you used bacon, you can drizzle a few tablespoons of bacon fat over the beans for extra flavor.)
3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-low, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.
4. When ready to cook, place the pan of beans in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the beans until they are thick and richly flavored, about 1 hour. If the beans start to dry out, cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the beans from the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes, then serve.
Note: If you cook the beans in a gas grill, you probably won't be able to generate enough smoke for a strong wood flavor. Add the liquid smoke in this case.
TDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #23
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Bacon and Brisket makes em delightful
I agree, pulled pork works good too. I use 7# cans of Bush's and add rub,mustard, bbq sauce and one of the above meats. I do not measure any of the ingrediants but it all fits nicely into a half aluminum foil pan. I toss it on the smoker for 1-1/2 to 2 hours and it's good to go.

Unread 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #24
Rocco05
Knows what a fatty is.

Canned beans with brown sugar, bacon, onion, and jalapenos
Rocco05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #25
NBBD
Take a breath!

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
I made the jump this weekend. Our garden is going crazy and I have lots of peppers onion tomatoes etc. and wanted to experiment.

Got Some dry beans and made Garden barbecue Baked beans.... Wife agrees... Were going to make a few more big batches to keep on hand for the freezer

NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote