ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #31
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
Quote:
That way we can sleep in on Friday morning and relax all day before we have to get busy tending the fire all night!!!
I ain't sleepin' now!! Relax? What's that! LOL I'm wound up tighter than an 8 day clock!!!!!!!!
Seriously, I'm in pretty good shape......I think about it non stop, have run several hundred senerios through my head.......but I'm thinking we're going to do good and have a great time!!

Brother Slat.......look forward to spending some time with ya!!
You just need to compete more!! Tim and I actually get some sleep now!! After getting out a few times you'll know who brings what, who does what, whoes in charge of the timing, etc. etc. etc.

That's one great advantage to having a retired aviator as a partner - he ain't nothing if not organized!! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #32
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You just need to compete more!! Tim and I actually get some sleep now!! After getting out a few times you'll know who brings what, who does what, whoes in charge of the timing, etc. etc. etc.

That's one great advantage to having a retired aviator as a partner - he ain't nothing if not organized!!
DF is right on here.
First several events--stress and panic.
Now--we know who does what and have confidence in each other.
We have discovered that we are equally capapble of screwing it up
So, we just get 3 hours (or what-ever) the schedule shows for sleep and don't stress about it anymore
We had the pleasure of cooking next to HomeBBQ at Sebring in Jan. Kevin and Clara seem to do the same thing. He sleeps, she minds the fire--then she sleeps and he takes over. With the way they win--works for me

Now, in the last days leading up--Yeah--total stress Mod--for sure
But, it goes away at the event.

Just takes a plan and the abiliity to relax and rest.

Fun-Fun-Fun--once we figured it out

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #33
slat
is Blowin Smoke!

Gas at $1.969 in Jackson. Let you guys know what it is again Thur. morning.

Proud member of the MOFO chapter.

Bandera
Turkey Fryer
Rusting and corroding Gas Grill
slat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #34
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

Well the shopping is completed.

The coolers are packed in the shop with care.
Hoping we can all get off early and get the fark out of here!

We are all getting pretty fired up. Numerous phone calls back and forth last night to check on last minute things,

Momma Kick is getting her dessert ready for her first contest. And we will cook fish on Friday night for the anything butt contest.

Then the smoking begins!!!!!!!

We hope to be on the road by 6:00 pm which should put us down in there I'm guessing 10:30 or 11:00 pm.

Belly 2 has got the Spicewine smoke all waxed up and she looks like new!!!
Decided to put some tail lights on her. Ii was a little nervous going through St. Louis without lights and turn signals.

B2 is pulling the 5th wheel and I have the smoker, and kick will be in the pace car!

Thanks to everyone for their support. Now we gotta go kick some arse!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #35
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellybro
Decided to put some tail lights on her. Ii was a little nervous going through St. Louis without lights and turn signals.

B2 is pulling the 5th wheel and I have the smoker, and kick will be in the pace car!

Somehow I'm picturing a scene from Smokey and the Bandit. Best of luck and have a blast!

http://users.ev1.net/~atilla/cw_mccall_convoy.mp3

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #36
jt
Babbling Farker

I think that was a good call on the lights. I wouldn't want to pull it without 'em either.

Good luck boys! Oh, and good luck to T as well! :D

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #37
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellybro

Somehow I'm picturing a scene from Smokey and the Bandit. Best of luck and have a blast!
Hmmmm....Kick & Mrs. Kick in the pace car....that Chevy have T-tops?

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #38
Solidkick

Quote:
Hmmmm....Kick & Mrs. Kick in the pace car....that Chevy have T-tops?
Ummmm......with as much stuff as Mrs. K settin' in the floor to be loaded for the trip, it may be a convertible before the day is over, gotta get it all in someway!!

Brothers, the MoFo Chapter's Belly Brothers are proud to be a part of this website and will do our best to be a fine representation of who and what we are.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #39
chad

OK. It's 10pm eastern - where the heck are some results? :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Unread 04-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #40
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
OK. It's 10pm eastern - where the heck are some results?
It's now 24 hrs since last turn in, I reiterate, where the heck are some results?
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #41
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Quote:
OK. It's 10pm eastern - where the heck are some results?
It's now 24 hrs since last turn in, I reiterate, where the heck are some results?
We're back.......give me some time to get my thoughts together, i'll post a little later, I goota post it from a word doc I started on the laptop on the way home........

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

Unread 04-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #42
Solidkick

Belly Brothers Do Charleston

Running with the Big Dogs was a little tougher than we could have ever imagined. Though we were definitely on our “A Game” it didn’t prove to be enough. Timing of the turn ins and prep couldn’t have been better. Cooking to competition level standards was a different story. Not that we cooked bad food, we didn’t cook bland enough, or sweet enough. 63 of 64 teams showed up. Turns out that of the 63 teams there, 41 of the teams had won state or grand championships and/or lotto drawings to the AR Invitational in 2004. So if you take those teams out of the mix, we made top ten. We place 47th overall.
It seems 10,000-prize money brings out the cream of the crop, plus we learned for those that compete on a regular basis that this event had triple points for overall yearend KCBS champ.

First event, chicken. This was a great improvement from our last event. 20th place, top 1/3rd. We all figured this was good indication for pleasant things to come. In fact, we all felt we had a very good chance of hitting top 1/3rd or better in everything else. Then, the hammer fell!

Next event, ribs. Did everything to KCBS standards, nice smoke ring, slight tug at the bone, not too sweet……throw that theory out the window! Personal preference takes the place of what judges are taught in this category for sure. We were so excited about our ribs…………the judges weren’t………..63rd place. You talk about a shock…………turns out the judges like them to fall off the bone, cooked in honey and brown sugar during the wrapped portion of the 3-2-1, with a slight glaze of a sweet BBQ sauce just before turn in. We could have done that, had we known. In fact, we had fall off the bone ribs and elected not to turn them in because of the way we thought the judges would score them. What really hurt…………the guy next to us cooked everything except his chicken on Friday, wrapped it and coolered, then reheated it Saturday morning, his warmed up ribs beat us…. that was a bitter pill to swallow. Oh well, let’s move on… We can still bring it home with the butt and brisket.

Pork, I think 39th…still scratching our heads…….no way……it was almost as good as it gets………did it the same way as the BoCo fair, where we took a 3rd. Ha! Not the same playing field……..reality starting to sink in.

Brisket, gonna knock ‘em dead in this one for sure. Good smoke ring, good flavor, and very tender .27th place. This one really doesn’t make sense…….one judge gives us 9-9-9, the judge right next to this judge, 9-5-5.
What!! One says it’s perfect and one says it’s below average in tenderness and taste! Who trained these judges!!

Did we have fun, hell yes! Did we do a good job, we sure thought so. Are we ready to take on the name teams and big events, not quite. We made a few new friends, saw some old friends, but the “elite” on millionaire’s row, (most of the top names somehow seemed to be grouped together in the campground, thus the name) reminded me of the old high school clicks of the rich and spoiled, don’t bother me, type attitude people. After what I saw this weekend, I was disappointed with their actions. I can’t speak for my brothers, but it kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth about what KCBS is all about.

I think we'll stay local and leave the big fish alone for awhile.

Chad and Tim, we really gave it our best, it is hard to break into an established group. I applaude you for trying, just as we did. Maybe someday............

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Unread 04-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #43
icemn62
Babbling Farker

It sounds like you guys cooked quality Que, had a good time, and got a lesson in life. It is not what you know, If you know someone at the top. Did you get any pics? Seems that the judging is not quite as black and white as I thought. If you had turned in Que you make for home use, there would be trophies in your saga.

Remember, you got to cook, and had a good time. Met some new BBQ People.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #44
Solidkick

Yep, got a few pictures, will add later......I only slept 2 hours Thursday night due to being too excited, and 1.5 hours Friday night due to a sinus headache and my cooking shift. I just finished spending time with my grand daughters, which I needed, so i'm off to bed and will post more later, including pics. Many many more stories to be added by myself and the Bellys.
A special THANKS to Mike (BBII's cousin) for being an excellent pitbitch. Also spent time with Slat, good to meet him and visit.....more to follow, I need sleep!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Unread 04-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #45
chad

:D Amazing what you learn while getting your ass kicked, isn't it? :D

Believe me, Tim and I understand completely!

Ice, it ain't who you know - it really is blind judging. You gotta pay your dues and learn what is expected at THAT contest. Regional preferences, local que, etc. all come into play. With this many teams you had a lot of judges - what one table scored has no connection with the next table.

But hey, if this was easy EVERYONE would be doing it! :D

Kick, you sound like Tim and me when we talk about the FBA!! :D We haven't figured it out - but we're much more at peace than we were last year. We've competed against a good number of the teams you saw. They do the FL circuit during the winter! :D We've been consistent but unfortunately our consistent is middle of the pack overall.

We're thinking about doing Dillard, GA, a KCBS contest, in August. It'll be way up in north GA, so the Carolina style of doing 'que will come into play. We'll be learning to cook in a another new area.

Kevin, HomeBBQ, went up and took GC last year and he's planning to defend - he'll have Clara with him this year so things should go pretty smooth. Tim and I are debating but will probably go if we can get the $$$ together.

This stuff is frustrating but like the Maryland Lottery used to say "You gotta play to win!"

Hang tough. Do a post mortem over the next few days. Try and be real objective - and that will be hard to do. Pony up the $$$ and try it again. :D