Trial iQue 110 run, initial results and pics

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to give the iQue 110 a run. I figured a brisky would be the best test, as I run at both 225 and 300 for briskys. I'll throw in a few pics and then give my overall comments.

I did my standard high heat setup, with a layer of lump, a few chunks, and then another layer of chunks. Spread about 1/3 chimney of briquettes on top, and then a few more chunks of red oak.
IMG_0006.jpg

My high tech setup: A deck chair, bungee cord, umbrella and inverted plastic bucket. For the first few attempts I'm also running a Maverick ET-73 so I can get some comparison temps.
IMG_0013.jpg

The iQue 110 probe is the alligator clip on the left, the Maverick is the probe on the right. Brisky was at 160 so this was my first pic, and then I wrapped the brisky with a cup of beef broth.
IMG_0014.jpg

I'll give a final analysis once the brisky is done, but here my my overall comments so far:
  • Initially the iQue 110 seemed to run about 15 degrees lower than what was set on the dial, at least compared to the Maverick. I ended up dialing in between 225 and 250 to hold a temp around 225.
  • When I bumped the temp to 300, the iQue 110 really struggled to reach the temp at first. The instructions said to keep the upper vent closed to about 1/4, but I ended up opening it wide to get better air flow and help out. It did seem to help, and once the temperature settled down I closed down the upper vent back down to 1/4 open.
  • After I wrapped (actually a foil pan covered with aluminum foil), the iQue 110 actually started running a little hot compared to the Maverick. I checked the probe, and it was a little close to the side of the foil pan so I moved it away and it did help.
Overall I'm impressed. There still will be a little bit of a learning curve as I learn the quirks, but damn it sure was nice to get all my errands done and not have to even worry about the vents.
I'm going to continue to use the Maverick as a comparison until I get a few cooks under my belt at different temps. After that, I'm just going to run with the iQue 110.
I'll also add the money shots once everything is finished.

Thanks for the review and I look forward to the final results. I have been eyeing these for a while but just can't pull the trigger. Maybe if they go on sale back to their introduction price I might jump.

I am smoking a butt right now with the same set up, but my probe is hanging down through the top vent. My dial is set to 275, and the temp on the built-in Weber thermometer reads 250. I don't know which one is right.

CD

I am smoking a butt right now with the same set up, but my probe is hanging down through the top vent. My dial is set to 275, and the temp on the built-in Weber thermometer reads 250. I don't know which one is right.

CD

I ran my auber and IQue 100 within the last week and the weber therm is always 25 degrees behind.

Just put the cubed point in for burnt ends. I should have final pics in about 2 hours. The iQue 110 has really settled in and just humming along at 300.
IMG_0020.jpg

I clip my IQue probe to the the bottom of the Maverick clip, so it is going perpendicular to the Maverick, and the temps seem to be near identical.

I don't like how much smoke it generates if I turn it from 225* to 300*. I tired it once. It tries to hard to get the temps up too quickly. It seems to work just fine to bump it up 25* at a time.

I clip my IQue probe to the the bottom of the Maverick clip, so it is going perpendicular to the Maverick, and the temps seem to be near identical.

That's a great farken idea! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Mmmm.. looks good! Especially those ends!

Like --k-- said above, to move up from 225 - 300, definitely do it in smaller increments. My Auber controller will do the same thing, and typically will overshoot, and then need to be pulled back. Step it up, keeps things cooking right along.

Awesome job!!

Like --k-- said above, to move up from 225 - 300, definitely do it in smaller increments. My Auber controller will do the same thing, and typically will overshoot, and then need to be pulled back. Step it up, keeps things cooking right along.

Hrm, don't know about that. The problem I had was that it was actually taking too long to climb from 225 to 300. Normally (without the iQue) I just open all the vents and let her rip, and the temps climb pretty quick.

I think the iQue really doesn't want to overshoot too much, so it just cycles the fan in small increments to boost the temp. With the upper vents closed to 1/4, it will eventually hit 300, but it's going to take a while. I was monitoring the temp on the Maverick and it actually started dropping at some points during the 225 to 300 time frame. That's when I opened the upper vents all the way and it seemed to help it along.

It's going to take some playing around, but I may increase the amount of lit charcoal I start with. The instructions said 2 chimneys of unlit charcoal topped with 1 chimney of lit, but I only went with 1/3 to chimney start. I was afraid of getting the charcoal bed too hot at the start.

Beautiful brisky! Off topic, but any tips for getting that sweet smoke ring?

Yeah, I only tried bumping the temp up once from 200 to 275. Maybe it was an odd burn, but it seemed like it was blowing bad smoke just like it does when it was first lit.

:shrug:

any tips for getting that sweet smoke ring?

Two things I do for high heat is to put the meat in cold, and then run at 225 for an hour before ramping up the temps. That seems to help develop the ring.

I have also heard of throwing a few unlit briquettes on top of your charcoal ring at the beginning of the smoke. I tried that once long ago and had a decent smoke ring, but I haven't tried it again.

One thing I've tried the last 2 times I've used my Ique is that I've been putting my lit charcoals on the side of the charcoal ring where the Ique is. I dig a little hole in the charcoal at the edge of the ring and put the lit coals about half way down the ring and then put some more unlit coals on top of them. Then I start up the Ique and let it do the work to get up to temp. I feel like I get a more consistent burn since the air source is close to the lit coals and it blows the fire into the unlit coals, working it's way across the charcoal ring if that makes sense. I have no idea if it's a valid idea or not but it seems to be working for me.

BTW, mine makes a lot of smoke anytime I increase the temp too. I tried it with water in the pan and it took forever to increase the temp and I didn't like what it did to the taste of the food so I've pretty much been running it with a foiled clay saucer in the water pan. The temp increases faster now and I get less of the bitter smoke type taste.

That makes sense. The water pan is useful for helping stabilize the WSM at low temperatures when a controller is not used. If the fire gets too aggressive, the water, and eventually steam, absorbs much of the heat. I run a water pan in my Ugly Box Smoker for humidity, but a foiled clay saucer in my WSM.

I found the iQue 110 to be a bit slow as well when ramping the temp up, say from 225F to 375F. What has worked for me is opening the vents wide open like I had in the past with out the iQue & when it gets to about 325F I close it back up and hand it back over to the iQue. YMMV. Cheers!!!

Back