The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default BBQ Guru Pit Probe Reading off?

I still love my DigiQ DX but I have suspected over my last few cooks that the pit probe sensor may be reading a little low, so I did a boiling water test with it this evening to check it out. I used my Maverick as a baseline reading of the boiling water and it read a solid 210 degrees after the probe had been in for 5 minutes. That reading did not move. I hooked up the DigiQ meat and pit probes and turned the unit on. The meat probe quickly came up to 210 and sat there right on the mark. The pit probe got up to about 193 degrees and stopped. Is it possible that this probe is defective? Is there a way to correct the issue? 15-18 degrees variation in the pit temp reading doesn't really bother me that much, but I'd like for this device to be accurate on both readings...

Unread 07-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd think a call to the Guru folks would be in order. It should be accurate just like the meat probe.
Micro stickburner Rec-Tec pellet smoker, Yoder YS1500 and Stumps Stretch on order, 14" Original 1880 WSM, and Ridiculously Fast Red Thermapen. Past cookers: FEC100, FEC120, Klose stick burner, 22.5 WSM, Traeger BBQ125, Traeger Lil Tex.
K-Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Barbecue View Post
I'd think a call to the Guru folks would be in order. It should be accurate just like the meat probe.
I think so too... I sent them an email with this same detail in it so I'll wait to hear back from them... maybe the probe needs replacing. One thing I did NOT do that i probably should have was test the meat probe in the pit probe outlet on the digiq....

Unread 07-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
flyingwrench75
Found some matches.

this might sound like a dumb question, but is it dirty?,,, we have had some issues with our pit temp. fluctuating like that when it gets a little gunked up, maybe it just a coincedence, but it seems like if we clean it up a little when it does that, it's more accurate...
flyingwrench75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

JM,

I just bought a used DigiQ2 from another BBQ fan that had upgraded to a stoker.

While reading through the manual I found the calibration section.

Although your DigiQ is supposed to be set at the factory there may be some reason it is off calibration a little. Reason I say this is that the one I got read boiling water at 195*F also. I went through the recalibration steps and that should probably fix it.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

brotherbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I think so too... I sent them an email with this same detail in it so I'll wait to hear back from them... maybe the probe needs replacing. One thing I did NOT do that i probably should have was test the meat probe in the pit probe outlet on the digiq....
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

JM did you ever figure out what was wrong ?
Micro stickburner Rec-Tec pellet smoker, Yoder YS1500 and Stumps Stretch on order, 14" Original 1880 WSM, and Ridiculously Fast Red Thermapen. Past cookers: FEC100, FEC120, Klose stick burner, 22.5 WSM, Traeger BBQ125, Traeger Lil Tex.
K-Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I'll check into the calibration and see what I can find out...