The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default SMOKINí ON THE BAY Tracys Landing, MD

I just got word today that SMOKINí ON THE BAY is still looking for teams. I was asked if I would spread the word to the Brethren.

This is a first year event with $10,000.00 in prize money.

Tracys Landing, MD
Starts: 09/03/2011
Ends: 09/04/2011
KCBS Reps: NANCY MULLER, DON MULLER

Contact Information:
Dave Mullin
Phone: 443-510-3795
smokinonthebay@yahoo.com
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2013 Sponsor of DegŁello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Lo'-N-Slo BBQ, Bar-B-Que Mayham, Uncle Bucks, Finns Finest, Pigheaded, Simply Q and Little Lukes BBQ
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

I talked to the organizer during Holy Smoke last weekend, and evidently they are doing a -lot- for hospitality and such to attract teams. (They were also trying to get their last few teams to beat 15, which I think they did at the competition.) That was bittersweet though - we selected it for our first competition to avoid competing against some of the best teams in bbq :) but it should be a lively event. I haven't been out to the marina but a few friends have, they say its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone else gonna be there?
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

The 3-Eyz Crew will be down there, looking forward to it.

Backwoods Competitor, 2x Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Big Ugly's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Disconnect

..speaking of "some of the best teams" :) Congrats on the walks at Holy Smoke. That heat was brutal, even going home to sleep Fri night (and skipping the middle of the day Sat) we were wiped out, I don't even want to think about being there all weekend. (But, of course, I hope we will be next year..)

Unread 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Big Stogie
Got Wood.

I will be there...cant wait!
[FONT=Arial]Backwoods Competitor[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Super fast [COLOR=lime]Lime Green[/COLOR] & [COLOR=pink]Pink[/COLOR] Thermapen[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Big Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like I will be there. We did not plan on it since my wife is due the first week of October. We will be helping a friend of mine that is coming out of a five year break from competition.

Plus we built his pit so I want to see that baby run.
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2013 Sponsor of DegŁello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Lo'-N-Slo BBQ, Bar-B-Que Mayham, Uncle Bucks, Finns Finest, Pigheaded, Simply Q and Little Lukes BBQ
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Tiki Wolf

I emailed the organizer with a few questions and am waiting for a response before I send in my application. If all goes well, we'll be there.

Unread 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post
I talked to the organizer during Holy Smoke last weekend, and evidently they are doing a -lot- for hospitality and such to attract teams. (They were also trying to get their last few teams to beat 15, which I think they did at the competition.) That was bittersweet though - we selected it for our first competition to avoid competing against some of the best teams in bbq :) but it should be a lively event. I haven't been out to the marina but a few friends have, they say its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone else gonna be there?
First comp, eh? Need any help, just ask.

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Disconnect

Got a spare brisket I can turn in? ;) I think I'm just gonna do the other 3 this time around, spend the winter/spring getting a good brisket together. I'm sure there's going to be stuff we forget (reading all the checklist threads now..) and stuff we mess up, but it'll be fun anyway :)

Unread 07-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

You're going to be there anyway, bring a brisket and cook it up. You never know, that's the beauty and fun of this hobby of ours!

Backwoods Competitor, 2x Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60
Big Ugly's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post

Got a spare brisket I can turn in? ;) I think I'm just gonna do the other 3 this time around, spend the winter/spring getting a good brisket together. I'm sure there's going to be stuff we forget (reading all the checklist threads now..) and stuff we mess up, but it'll be fun anyway :)
I agree with Chris. Just buy a flat, season and put it on the same time as your butt(s). Pull at 195 internal. You can make it a lot more complex than that if you want, or keep it simple for your first time.

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
I agree with Chris. Just buy a flat, season and put it on the same time as your butt(s). Pull at 195 internal. You can make it a lot more complex than that if you want, or keep it simple for your first time.
Tried one in practice, it worked great. (Well.. mostly. I carved it and it was tough as nails - fully expected 2s & 3s in tenderness. The next day I went to slice it for sandwiches and realized that the meat had curled up and I had basically sliced it at a 45 degree vertical angle. Doh! Sliced it flat and it came out fine.)

The other reason I was considering skipping brisket was grill space - the cheap offset gave its all during practice cooks, and the Beast (double 55gal woodstove kit) is pretty much unmanageable. So I built a UDS instead :) Should be room for 2 butts and 2 briskets on together. (I'll find out at next week's practice.)