MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Time requirements for 7 bone Chuck

You all have discussed smoking chuck roast before, many, many, many times, (in threads with horribly vague titles such as "How to smoke chuck?" and "chuck roll /chuck roast??" .....). I intend on doing some this weekend to pull. I'll be doing probably a 4 pound bone in and season it like a brisket smoking at 220*, foiling around 165*, and coolering around 195* .

My real question is related to time though. I seem to recall hearing that for some reason a chuck roast takes forever to come up to temp, like up to three(!) hours a pound to get above 190. If this is the case, I need to know ahead of time, so my in-laws are not hanging around till midnight.

What's the verdict? Is this thing gonna outlast my 6 lb pork butt in the smoker?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Re: Time requirements for 7 bone Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
You all have discussed smoking chuck roast before, many, many, many times, (in threads with horribly vague titles such as "How to smoke chuck?" and "chuck roll /chuck roast??" .....). I intend on doing some this weekend to pull. I'll be doing probably a 4 pound bone in and season it like a brisket smoking at 220*, foiling around 165*, and coolering around 195* .

My real question is related to time though. I seem to recall hearing that for some reason a chuck roast takes forever to come up to temp, like up to three(!) hours a pound to get above 190. If this is the case, I need to know ahead of time, so my in-laws are not hanging around till midnight.

What's the verdict? Is this thing gonna outlast my 6 lb pork butt in the smoker?
I think ya kinda sorta got it right.. Chuck roasts(chusck) roasts can take real long to get tender enuf to pull. Even once they get up to temps, they are still real tough. I would count on about an hour:15-hour:30 per lb. Ones I did last weekend went for 10 hours. Think they were 5+ lbers. I foil them at 165-170 and finished in a 210 degree oven till they fall apart.

Go by tenderness, not temperature. Even when they reach 190, they may still be tough. Keep them in a low temp oven, around 210. No higher than 220.

BTW, your 6lb put will go for 9 hours also. Butts are an hour:30 per lb.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks, my butts have been taking just a tad over 1.5 hr per pound pretty consistently, so I wanted an idea on the chusck roast. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I lifted this from a thread from over a year ago. Based on this (stlmike's link says 3 hours per pund is normal), I am going to assume that my 6 pound butt and my 3.5 pound chucks are going to take about the same length of time.

I'll be smoking tommorrow and let you know how it goes. (The butt, the chucks, the fattys, the brats, and an assortment of peppers to experiment with.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmike
Bill,
I've done both of these recipes for chuck roast/pot roast. I got a lot of comments when I did the pot roast with veggies. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ktaylor11/bbq_tips.htm
Mike

Old 04-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

It is now 1:45. Chuck and Butt went on the smoke at 7:15.

I just coolered the chuck roasts 199*. The kinda shot up on me, but still seem very tender. I foiled them around 170 and put them in a 215* oven until now when they went in the cooler.

Butt is at 160*, still on smoke.

I did what I will call an Atomic Mastadon Turd. You may have done this before: just like an ABT but using a big poblano instead. I cut off the top and removed the seeds. Then I stuffed it with cubed and sliced cheddar/jack, brisket rubbed fatty meat, and drippings. I really crammed the cheese on there. Put the top back on, put a metal skewer through to help hold it together, wrapped it with about 7 pieces of bacon and put it on the bottom rack. Took a few hours, but the bacon crisped nice and held the whole thing together well enough to slice in to coll looking servings.

I learned a lot today. Because of the width of the chuck roasts, they really wreaked havoc on pit temps throughout the chamber. When below the butt, they were a barrier to heat getting to the top. When above the butt, the top of the chamber was the hottest part - even right above the roasts. I had a fair amount of trouble keeping temps low so far - my coal bed started big and stayed that way. I am afraid they may be a little too crusty due to some high heat, but we will see.

I defintely need to work on smoking more than 2 large cuts at once. Adding a third presented a challeng I was not anticipating.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
It is now 1:45. Chuck and Butt went on the smoke at 7:15.

I just coolered the chuck roasts 199*. The kinda shot up on me, but still seem very tender. I foiled them around 170 and put them in a 215* oven until now when they went in the cooler.

Butt is at 160*, still on smoke.

I did what I will call an Atomic Mastadon Turd. You may have done this before: just like an ABT but using a big poblano instead. I cut off the top and removed the seeds. Then I stuffed it with cubed and sliced cheddar/jack, brisket rubbed fatty meat, and drippings. I really crammed the cheese on there. Put the top back on, put a metal skewer through to help hold it together, wrapped it with about 7 pieces of bacon and put it on the bottom rack. Took a few hours, but the bacon crisped nice and held the whole thing together well enough to slice in to coll looking servings.

I learned a lot today. Because of the width of the chuck roasts, they really wreaked havoc on pit temps throughout the chamber. When below the butt, they were a barrier to heat getting to the top. When above the butt, the top of the chamber was the hottest part - even right above the roasts. I had a fair amount of trouble keeping temps low so far - my coal bed started big and stayed that way. I am afraid they may be a little too crusty due to some high heat, but we will see.

I defintely need to work on smoking more than 2 large cuts at once. Adding a third presented a challeng I was not anticipating.
Its all about learning! I commented to my wife this evening that each time I cook something (tonight it was brisket), it gets a little bit better.

The Atomic Mastodon Turd sounds great! My cholesterol went up 5 points just reading about it!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote