The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Another Garnish Cunundrum

After one of the turn ins in Mason City our TC brought over a clamshell (minus meat) with a big ol honkin lettuce core in the middle.
In the other garnish thread I highlighted the term thus indicating it was a violation earning a score of 1 in presentation.
Now not seeing the entry as presented if the lettuce core was under some meat (used for lift only) is it still a violation if not seen during presntation?

12) Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped,
sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly
parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red
tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are
prohibited. Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1)
on Appearance.

This ruling only concerns garnish in the apperance score. If you can't see it during the presentation is it still a violation if discovered while removing your piece of meat?
I say no.
Your turn Dave.
Ed

Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes. Its a violation if its in the box

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

It is still illegal garnish and if it is noticed before the box leaves the table, it would be a DQ. Here is a rep advisory that covers the discovery of a foreign object after appearance judging is over. I think it would also apply to illegal garnish that isn't uncovered until after appearance judging is over...

Quote:
6.14 Subject: When is Appearance Judging Over

Question: After the judges completed judging an entry for appearance, one of the judges noticed a piece of aluminum foil underneath a piece of meat. Should I go back and disqualify the entry and how?

Opinion: The KCBS rules state that “no aluminum foil, stuffing, toothpicks, skewers of foreign objects may be in a container.” Any entry with a foreign object is to be disqualified and a “1” should be given in all categories. NOTE: If the foil, or a foreign object, were discovered while passing the box, after the Appearance judging, the Contest Rep should instruct the table as to the DQ. Once the entry leaves the table a DQ for foreign object can not occur.

February 17, 2006
Here is another that could also apply if the core weren't found until after the box left the table.

Quote:
6.16 Subject: Foreign Object Found During Cleanup

Question: As Table Captains were cleaning up between categories, a napkin was found under the lettuce in one of the entries. Do you now go back and disqualify that entry?

Opinion: NO. Once the entry leaves the table, the Appearance judging is over for that category. The Table Captain should report it to the Contest Reps. Reps should report the problem to the team’s chief cook and advise them not to do it in the future, as they would be disqualified is noted at the judging table.

February 17, 2006

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It is still illegal garnish and if it is noticed before the box leaves the table, it would be a DQ. Here is a rep advisory that covers the discovery of a foreign object after appearance judging is over. I think it would also apply to illegal garnish that isn't uncovered until after appearance judging is over...

Here is another that could also apply if the core weren't found until after the box left the table.

The highlighted rule refers only to a lettuce core used as a garnish, after the appearance score is recorded garnish is no longer a factor. If the core becomes visable after the appearance score it too should no longer be in play. It is not classed as a foreign object, thus the score of ones vs a DQ.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
The highlighted rule refers only to a lettuce core used as a garnish, after the appearance score is recorded garnish is no longer a factor. If the core becomes visable after the appearance score it too should no longer be in play. It is not classed as a foreign object, thus the score of ones vs a DQ.
Ed
I understand that, but I'm guessing that the decision process would be the same. It's just a guess, of course :)

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

If it's just trimmed into the "core" how much of the "core" is needed to be DQ'ed. To bad this happened in Iowa again. What are we going to do with these judges?
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I don't know if the core should be illegal per the garnish rule. However, it probably should be illegal per the marking rule.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

As long as the core is from an approved garnish, then where is the problem. If it is legal to use the leaves then it is legal to use the core of the product. A DQ would be incorrect and the person would have a very good case to take to the board.

A number of teams use tight cores of legal lettuce to be the base for their parsley box. Is this in the winter yet?
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
ParkAvenue_2
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
If it is legal to use the leaves then it is legal to use the core of the product. A DQ would be incorrect and the person would have a very good case to take to the board.
I just attended a KCBS judging class last week, and per the guidance given in the class, a lettuce core from any product is illegal, regardless of whether the leaves of the product are legal (like iceburg lettuce) or illegal.

The class instructor made a specific point to tell everyone in the class what steps they should take if they found a lettuce core in a box, and those steps conclude with a DQ'ing the box.

Personally, I think the rule regarding lettuce cores is nonsense, but it certainly is a rule thats on the books and obviously is being taught in the judging classes.
ParkAvenue_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
As long as the core is from an approved garnish, then where is the problem. If it is legal to use the leaves then it is legal to use the core of the product. A DQ would be incorrect and the person would have a very good case to take to the board.

A number of teams use tight cores of legal lettuce to be the base for their parsley box. Is this in the winter yet?

The problem is that it is illegal! It's clearly stated that lettuce cores are not allowed as garnish and will earn you a 1 in appearance. If this box would have hit the table that Ed and I were at then we would have a Rep's ruling by now. I would have asked for the Rep because I feel that this is a clear violation of the garnish rules.

Don't even get me started on just dumping all garnish - we'll save that one for the winter time .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Garnish is nonsense. Our competition is about meat, not vegetables. We spend countless hours as cooks fussing over greenery and far too much attention as judges trying to decide what's legal or not. Green stuff is for salad bars, not competition barbeque. End of sermonette
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I stand corrected, it specifically says lettuce cores are prohibited. If I take a literal interpetation of this statement, when I pull a leaf off of a head or green leaf lettuce, I am required to remove the white part on the bottom of the leaf as it is considered the core. In addition, I can be dq'ed if I use the inner leaves on the bottom of the box as they are not the proper shade of green. I assume (ass/u/me) there is a rep advisory giving the exact color of a lettuce core portion and where it begins?
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
INmitch
Take a breath!

Now you're making me nervous. At what point is a leaf not a leaf but part of the core? I'm going to make sure me wife reads this (She does the boxes). Not trying to be a smart a$$ but what if a judge wants to start splitting hairs on this?

Unread 07-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Ed
Nope. If it hasn't left the table and was discovered when passing the box around taking out samples, it's a DQ

Unread 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I stand corrected, it specifically says lettuce cores are prohibited. If I take a literal interpetation of this statement, when I pull a leaf off of a head or green leaf lettuce, I am required to remove the white part on the bottom of the leaf as it is considered the core. In addition, I can be dq'ed if I use the inner leaves on the bottom of the box as they are not the proper shade of green. I assume (ass/u/me) there is a rep advisory giving the exact color of a lettuce core portion and where it begins?
Come on guys. We are not that stupid. The lettuce core is just that. The big middle thing in the lettuce. I cook, too and have had some of the white on the leaf. That's part of the lettuce.

If ever it becomes a fine line...we go for the cooker. Just don't put the core in there.

Thanks from:--->