The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Garnish mistake

I was at a contest this year and found out there was an entry, I think it was chicken, that had the wrong garnish. DQ right?.........Nope. The judges couldn't tell what it was but it did not look like a typical garnish so they were trying to figure it out. It happened again in the ribs so the rep tracked down they team and found it was spinach. Still no DQ. They team was told not to do it again.
Really!? This stuff happens?!!
If garnish is not lettuce, parsley or cilantro, it should have been DQ'ed is my feeling. It was just poor judgement on the reps part to let it go.
Just makes me sick that I spent butt loads of money to have chit like this happen.
Rant done.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Should have been DQ'd. No room for discussion.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Sawdustguy

Us Polocks were DQ'ed one time for turning in smoked BBQ Chicken. Why you ask? It's a long story but we got an apology from the reps the next time we saw them.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Rookie'48

The way that I heard it though, the team had already turned in the chicken with no problems and only got questioned on the rib entry. Evidently the team said that they "didn't know" and the Rep gave them a verbal. I agree, they should have gotten a DQ .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, definitely. Spinach (although a nice sounding idea) is definitely NOT an approved garnish.

Tough call for the rep due to the judges not speaking up about the chicken entry.

Wait - that normally wouldn't happen since no two teams entries should appear at the same table twice, if the table captains are doing their job . . .

huh?

Well, yeah, shoulda been DQ'd for sure.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Garnish is a roaring PITA. Let's eliminate it and get on with cooking barbeque. Its about MEAT, not nesting and greenery.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

The rule of thumb I've lived by in the restaurant industry is: If it ain't gonna be et... it ain't on the plate. I haven't ever heard of judges eating the garnish, so it's something that really doesn't need to be there. (in my opinion). Are we here to judge the meat?

Unread 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
Garnish is a roaring PITA. Let's eliminate it and get on with cooking barbeque. Its about MEAT, not nesting and greenery.
completely disagree, garnish has its place and a purpose. In this case the only PIA is the nonenforcement of a very clear cut rule.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

What Sean said. If reps would grow a set and enforce rules, it would be a better contest world.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
The rule of thumb I've lived by in the restaurant industry is: If it ain't gonna be et... it ain't on the plate. I haven't ever heard of judges eating the garnish, so it's something that really doesn't need to be there. (in my opinion). Are we here to judge the meat?
If you want to score well in a KCBS contest, your odds of doing well go up considerably if you garnish the box. It is what it is.
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #11
Rookie'48

Unfortunatly I have to agree with Matt ^^^^^. From what I've seen & heard at the judging table, you can do a no-garnish box (KCBS) at your own risk.
Put me down in the "eliminate the garnish" column.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

We cook a mainly Memphis style events where there is no garnish in the box. A thought to consider for the "no garnish" crowd- it takes a LOT of meat to make a box look good. Even though you put in "bottom meat" to raise up the good samples and make it look full, you can't put in poorer quality meat because you don't know which samples the judges will take, i.e., you may have to cook more meat.
MemphisBBQCO.com
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

I have a similar story; I was judging my first KCBS contest this spring (on the eastern shore of MD). As a new judge and a competition cook I am very familiar with the rules. As our pork box came around I immediately saw a bed of kale under the meat, I thought of a DQ right away, but as a new judge I wasn’t sure of the procedure and when to speak up.........I was with some judges that have been around awhile and thought surly they would pick up on the blunder, but nope, so I said nothing thinking I was wrong. I did say something at the end after all the boxes was closed and a couple of them said it did look unusual but by that point it was too late. They all seemed to agree that they didn’t really pay attention to the garnish, which was pretty evident because they missed a classic.
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
AZScott
Take a breath!

Things like this should be a DQ all day every day. Any team that has not read taken 5 minutes to read and digest the widely available rules has no excuse.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
Yeah, definitely. Spinach (although a nice sounding idea) is definitely NOT an approved garnish.

Tough call for the rep due to the judges not speaking up about the chicken entry.

Wait - that normally wouldn't happen since no two teams entries should appear at the same table twice, if the table captains are doing their job . . .

huh?

Well, yeah, shoulda been DQ'd for sure.

12) Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped,
sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly
parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red
tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are
prohibited. Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1)
on Appearance.

I really wanted to not jump into this one but when you start slighting the judges, I have to.
I was at the table. When the offending box was presented for appearence scoring I immediatly saw it had a unfamiliar garnish. After all box's were scored for appearence and I told the TC to have the rep inspect it and she said it looked unusual also.
She took it to one of the reps and she could not "exactly " identify it and took it to the senior rep who examined and tasted it and decided it was not spinach but "was not positive" what it was and let the judging proceed. Now all this had to happen while the tables' boxs were sitting waiting to be passed around and the rest of the turn ins were still coming in. The decision was made and judging moved forward.
When ribs came in they also had the same garnish (went to a different table and also was objected to). After rib turn in the senior rep went to the cook site and asked what they were using for garnish and was told spinach. She informed them it was a illegal garnish and to stop using it.
Now was it handled correctly, no. was it handled as fairly as possible at the time, I think so.
It is the teams responsability to know and abide by the rules.
It is the reps responsability to be able to identify the garnish that is listed as legal, any other is cause for a score of 1.
It is KCBS responsability to make sure reps know what garnish looks like (provide pics of ALL legal garnish)
It is the judges responsability to report suspicious garnish and was done correctly in this case.

Now the big question is how did this affect the contest?
The team was obviously a new team and the only other scores that would have been affected are those that scored lower than the uninformed newbies that had no clue.
Anybody want to claim injury???
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->