THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Im looking into buying this pit from old country...

has anyone cooked on one of these? They are only made from 3/16" instead of 1/4" so im not sure how much this will hinder...

BBQ_smoker_AA20X60-closed.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, now that is a different question. Yes, and it worked fine. I have not cooked on one of those, it is a pretty simple equation in terms of materials though. The heavier the mass of the cooker, the better it will hold temperature, the thicker the steel (in general) the more mass and more consistent the heat. But, it also takes more wood to heat it up and will be less responsive to changes if you over-run you target heat.

Still, I think thicker is better, but, thicker is generally more costly. Lemme add, that is a nice looking cooker, and to a large degree, I think build quality is more important.

Thicker is also more of a pain to move and costs a LOT more if you gotta ship. That said, I went to 1/4" on my pit with a 1/2" thick firebox. It wasn't worth the money to upgrade to anything less, coming from a tin-can pit I used to have.

That is a nice looking pit though.

BTW I see you're in NY, which is pretty close to the same weather in Ontario. You might be better off with thicker steel if you wanna cook all year.

BTW I see you're in NY, which is pretty close to the same weather in Ontario. You might be better off with thicker steel if you wanna cook all year.

ya... this pit they have is 1060 bucks. I emailed them and modded it to have 2 full slide out shelves and extended it to be 20x40 instead of 20x36. they will do that for an extra 200 which aint that bad at all.

the price cant be beat, however its 3/16 instead of 1/4. like you said bein from ny, it get cold here in winter (not as cold as ontario tho!) i usually dont bbq during the winter, but i would like to try!

shipping im guessin is around 450-550 (quoted from pits that were 1/4, tho im guessing this will be the same)

so im still spending around 1700-1800.

OR i can go with the 20x40 party gator for 300 more... im just impatient as they are a couple months behind. and being from ny it would be a bummer to get a new BBQ in the dead of winter :( so i really want one that i can get pretty soon and fire it up before the snow comes!

3/16 is fine. It is pretty heavy at that thickness. I have one that is 3/16 and love it, also have one that is 5/16 I think and it does take longer to heat up but that smoker is 8 feet long (cook chamber only) add a 28" fire box ans she takes some wood to get to temp but when there it stays there.

Back