MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Default another cook time question...

Going to try my first chuckie today.

Cooking at 225-240 range; should I expect to be done about 1 hr per pound?

I was going to do it just like a butt; foil at 160, done at 200-205.
Does that sound right?

thanks in advance.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Crank up the heat if you can. Maybe keep it low for an hour or so then bump it up to 300-325. Foil is optional as always. I find I like the crusty bark more on beef so I try not to foil unless necessary due to time. Depending on the size of the chuckie, cooking at 300 should get it done in a decent amount of time. Also, if you foil you can add some liquid (apple cider, beer, broth, etc.) to the meat once in the foil.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Also, since its your first I would say to keep it simple as you are planning. But for your next one, give this a whirl:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95507

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=94382

[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey BS - chuckies can take a long time - once had a 4 pounder tale 11 hours. Yes - you read that correctly. Cooked it at 225/230.
I always allow 1.5/pound then add 2 hours. If it gets done sooner then that, into a warm dry cooler it goes.
Good luck and have fun!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I cook mine at about 300 as well and foil at 165 internal temp. I can't tell a difference in the final product and it is done much quicker.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
Hey BS - chuckies can take a long time - once had a 4 pounder tale 11 hours. Yes - you read that correctly. Cooked it at 225/230.
I always allow 1.5/pound then add 2 hours. If it gets done sooner then that, into a warm dry cooler it goes.
Good luck and have fun!
I'm glad I asked this about the cooking time; I would have never thought it would have taken that long.

I don't think that I'm going to be able to cook in the 300 range. I'm going to have some butts & briskets in the pit as well, and I don't like to cook that hot with those larger pieces of meat.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I do butts at about 250 and brisket at 300. I just found my brisket turns out better at a higher temp.