ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Why don't BBQ competitions pay REAL money???

I'm new to Q, but one thing I've noticed is that competitions (on average) don't pay squat!

A few examples.....I was watching Pitmasters and they were saying "this is a big competition and draws people from all over, blah blah" and some of the main characters drove 1200 miles to compete.

The woman on the show (from Wood Chicks BBQ) won 5th place overall. You know what she got paid? NOTHING. $0.

Another example: I've heard that the Jack Daniels competition in TN is a major event. I just read a story on their website where the 2010 winner was paid $5000.

Now lets be honest here, $5000 is a nice payday, sure, but look at the PBR Bullriding guys.....some of those comps pay $200,000. Then you've got Bassmaster tournaments that pay $100,000+.

Again, I know nothing about BBQ - nothing. But I know "dollar amounts" and I'm pretty sure the payouts have a lot to do with sponsors and their checkbooks. If so, isn't it time that KRAFT, REYNOLDS WRAP, McCORMICK, KINGSFORD, APPLE JUICE MAKERS, ETC. start supporting these competitions a little better? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Unread 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It would be nice, for certain.

I dont think we're even close to this for many MANY years to come, not until there's a TV audience for it.

In the mean time, seek out the DegaQue's & others with larger payouts. I try to find the competitions with more than $10,000 payouts; hopefully $15,000 and higher.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

the big teams probably get paid via endorsments.

that Wood Chicks BBQ is sponsered by Green Egg, at least in part.

Ole South Jack has books out, his on smoker line, and offers classes. At the price of his class, he makes more on it than comps I bet.

But the comps is what allows him to do that.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
It would be nice, for certain.

I dont think we're even close to this for many MANY years to come, not until there's a TV audience for it.

In the mean time, seek out the DegaQue's & others with larger payouts. I try to find the competitions with more than $10,000 payouts; hopefully $15,000 and higher.
I just did some hard looking online for DegaQue 2011 and there's not one word, nowhere about it. Discontinued???

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

I would watch bull riding and fishing on tv any day. BBQ is boring to watch
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Fatback Joe
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper77 View Post
I just did some hard looking online for DegaQue 2011 and there's not one word, nowhere about it. Discontinued???
Maybe, it was a Smoke on the Water Productions event if I am not mistaken, and don't see it listed for 2011.

http://www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com/

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
KCBS, NEBS Member
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
Maybe, it was a Smoke on the Water Productions event if I am not mistaken, and don't see it listed for 2011.

http://www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com/
First time I've seen. Judges list posted http://www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com/20...ust-26-27.html

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
WhiskeyBentBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

DidN't Ron Cates already try to do that this year. He put $125K in prize money up and paid out 50 places in each category. For all that promotion and effort, 95 teams showed up. That type of turn out for that type of money is not creating an environment where promoters are going to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, the venue could have been more centrally located and more teams probably would have came but at the end of the day, the opportunities are there but not for long if participation doesn't ramp up!

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that there are a couple of things are work keeping the paydays down.

Most of the products used are small companies.

Teams are fairly standoffish about the products they use.

Most teams view those who attend contests with contempt.

There are no spectators. No one to buy the products the teams used.

Teams running around telling anyone who will listen that comp bbq isnt something they would eat at home. While I know what the point is there, for the layman, they have to think why would I want to do that at home if they wouldnt.

BBQ needs the teams to be sponsored by the sauce and rub companies and for those teams to proudly fly that flag. They also need to allow people attending a contest to connect a winning team with a product that they can use at home.

But have no fear people are working hard to make these connections, but it just takes time.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

I would think a lot of the PBR prize money is generated by paying audiences. As much fun as comps are for teams & judges, I can't see an arena full of spectators! :)

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

MY wife would probably agree that cowboys/cowgirls in tight jeans are much more appealing than seeing me in a sweaty, greasy t shirt with a beer in hand.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBentBBQ View Post
DidN't Ron Cates already try to do that this year. He put $125K in prize money up and paid out 50 places in each category. For all that promotion and effort, 95 teams showed up. That type of turn out for that type of money is not creating an environment where promoters are going to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, the venue could have been more centrally located and more teams probably would have came but at the end of the day, the opportunities are there but not for long if participation doesn't ramp up!
I agree, not a great turn out by any means, but and I know you guys competed in it, but for me to get out there, my equiptment, everything it would have been way more expensive than any payout I might have recieved. By not traveling to Vegas I was able to add 5-6 more local competitions to my schedule.

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Sledneck
Time Out

BBQ spectator

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
MY wife would probably agree that cowboys/cowgirls in tight jeans are much more appealing than seeing me in a sweaty, greasy t shirt with a beer in hand.
Aren't your jeans getting tighter?

I used to go to Rodeo and PBR events and I bet they make their money from Wrangler and Chevy, those big events on t.v. are heavily sponsored. And do not forget, for each of those events, there are many many small events that you never hear about that pay almost nothing.

Would you rather get $250 and a belt buckle for cooking a steer, or riding a bull with his package strapped and pinched to his belly?

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Money comes from sponsors. Sponsors want their brand shown in front of as many people as possible. There just aren't enough eyeballs on a bbq contest to justify the $$ needed to create big paydays. Under current formats it just doesn't make for a good spectator sport.

Also, the sport isn't very well organized. For example...that $125k contest above...the promoter chose a weekend that had 2 major comps in the state next door that drew about 70 teams away from his event. With a little better planning he could have gotten the numbers up quite easily. Not all 70 would travel, but a lot would have without the conflict.