ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > SlamDunk Productions

Notices

SlamDunk Productions The official home for the MABA brisket knife and all things Wusthof. Also home for Slamdunk Productions graphics and banners.

Unread 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #31
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

had a close look at it over the weekend, very nice, although I would go with a thicker handle. it felt a bit like a toothpick in my paws....

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor & Fatboy, Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60, (future) Humphrey's Qube'd Battle Box
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Big Ugly's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #32
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

All the commercial blades with scalloped edges have taller scallops, so that is good feedback based on the feel in your hand.

To sell me tho, I gotta see some pics with something thinner than a 3/8" cut of brisket. Show me 1/8" and I'll be impressed... :-)

For comparison, here's my brisket knife. Kudos to anybody who can guess what it really is...

CBJ #21235
/dev/bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #33
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/bbq View Post
All the commercial blades with scalloped edges have taller scallops, so that is good feedback based on the feel in your hand.

To sell me tho, I gotta see some pics with something thinner than a 3/8" cut of brisket. Show me 1/8" and I'll be impressed... :-)

For comparison, here's my brisket knife. Kudos to anybody who can guess what it really is...

Looks like an old time ham slicer. The thin blade and rounded edge look like what used to be called ham slicers.
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #34
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/bbq View Post

Looks like a lox (salmon) slicer.

Yeah the guy that was cutting for the pictures was cutting a little thick, but they were the only two pictures I got. I'll try and get some better ones this weekend. ( I did cut two of those slices in half on the bias after the pics)

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #35
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

:-) nope.

Let me help a little - the blade is 16" long and the handle is 14" made of black walnut.
CBJ #21235
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #36
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

impressive knife..I want one
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #37
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, it's getting late and I've got to get up early, and don't want to leave you guessing. I do like your knife and would seriously consider purchasing one.

Mine is a pruning knife. Used throughout the year, but the effects not really appreciated until the Christmas holidays. I get a kick out of the reaction when I pull it out to slice the brisket - it's so long, it's almost like a sword!

This is where I picked mine up - http://www.kelcomaine.com/showitem.c...=SK1614&type=P. I figured it's durable if nothing else! Sharp as a razor too!

Crazy how things can cross over from one use to another! They don't have a scalloped version tho, understandable given it's purpose, but that's definitely a plus for slicing meat.
CBJ #21235
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #38
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Nice job and nice knife. I want one!
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #39
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the radius idea. I was first turned on to the concept with a Japanese bread knife. It worked remarkably well compared to a conventional non-belly. I think this knife has promise. I'd like to see taller (and closer to edge) scallops, based on my experience, unless they're pretty big they really don't do much.

Keep us updated on the progress.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #40
BoneDaddy's
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
As a structural engineer for 3 plus decades, I have never specified removal of steel to strengthen a beam.

So I have to ask, how do the dimples strengthen the blade?
Not 100% sure, but it allows the edge to be thinner and stronger..I guess that is what he said!
Bone Daddy's & Too Sauced to Pork BBQ Teams: 2 Humphrey's Smokers: CBJ #57193
BoneDaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #41
BoneDaddy's
Full Fledged Farker

Here is what the company says, they patented this in 1928...notice how it goes all the way to the blade edge!

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/gran...ge_knives.html
Bone Daddy's & Too Sauced to Pork BBQ Teams: 2 Humphrey's Smokers: CBJ #57193
BoneDaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
Here is what the company says, they patented this in 1928...notice how it goes all the way to the blade edge!

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/gran...ge_knives.html
I have a lot I'd like to say on this subject, but I realize that doing so would be a jack of this thread. I'll try and address this in another thread in the next couple of days. I'll put it in Q-talk.
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #43
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cool.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #44
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on your getting the design approved and manufactured by the big boys. I guess this knife is more for someone who has everything. I just don't see it improving the taste and texture of the brisket. I'll stick with the electric knife that seems to work just fine in competitions. I guess I am being a little reluctant because it seems like everytime someone shows something new here on this site, everyone has got to get one. I think we all have a box or a drawer full of items that we hardly use. I used to use a 12" slicer, my main problem with that is the thing was too long to put anyplace when not actually slicing. It doesn't fit in the drawer or in the knife bag. Now with 14" it's even longer. I am just pointing this out because we need to consider the pros and the cons to any new product. Hey I have the same issues with the turkey brine injector, it's just one of those weird shaped items to store and transport considering that a syringe works just fine. Again, congrats!

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #45
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Congrats on your getting the design approved and manufactured by the big boys. I guess this knife is more for someone who has everything. I just don't see it improving the taste and texture of the brisket. I'll stick with the electric knife that seems to work just fine in competitions. I guess I am being a little reluctant because it seems like everytime someone shows something new here on this site, everyone has got to get one. I think we all have a box or a drawer full of items that we hardly use. I used to use a 12" slicer, my main problem with that is the thing was too long to put anyplace when not actually slicing. It doesn't fit in the drawer or in the knife bag. Now with 14" it's even longer. I am just pointing this out because we need to consider the pros and the cons to any new product. Hey I have the same issues with the turkey brine injector, it's just one of those weird shaped items to store and transport considering that a syringe works just fine. Again, congrats!
I can get my 14" slicers in this bag: http://koobikit.com/