The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > SlamDunk Productions

Notices

SlamDunk Productions The official home for the MABA brisket knife and all things Wusthof. Also home for Slamdunk Productions graphics and banners.

Unread 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
BoneDaddy's
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Nice Knife...One comment, the dimples on the blade are incorrectly placed. They are designed to strengthen the edge of the blade and should extend to the blade edge. Most knife companies incorrectly utilize this feature. I found this out from the former CEO of Wustoff who now works for Stoddard Knife in Boston. he was at a contest sharpening knives for the teams.
Bone Daddy's: Too Sauced to Pork: Bubba 250R: XL BGE: Lg BGE: Crown Verity 60": CBJ #57193
BoneDaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
Nice Knife...One comment, the dimples on the blade are incorrectly placed. They are designed to strengthen the edge of the blade and should extend to the blade edge. Most knife companies incorrectly utilize this feature. I found this out from the former CEO of Wustoff who now works for Stoddard Knife in Boston. he was at a contest sharpening knives for the teams.
What? If by dimples you mean the scallops that people refer to as a granton edge, if you extended those down to the edge of the blade sharpening would be nearly impossible - or at least it would render the knife useless after two or three sharpenings. Once the bevel extends up into the dimple the width of the edge would be paper thin. In reality the granton dimples are more of a marketing tool, as they are never deep enough to do what they are marketed as doing, which is to keep food from sticking.
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
. . .the dimples on the blade are incorrectly placed. They are designed to strengthen the edge of the blade and should extend to the blade edge.
As a structural engineer for 3 plus decades, I have never specified removal of steel to strengthen a beam.

So I have to ask, how do the dimples strengthen the blade?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a beautiful knife and it makes great sense. A couple of my favorite slicers have multiple arcs comprising the blade edge, which makes cutting so much easier. That slicer design makes perfect sense.

I am still undecided on the Granton edges on a thin slicer, but, they certainly work fine.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Looks neat. I can't wait to try one! This could be good for their business, especially if the edge can hold the kind of shaprness that allows for a one pull cut. I'd be interested to hear how it holds the edge. Can you keep giving us updates? :)
I've cut it a couple of different ways looking at just this issue. I asked them to spec the steel hard enough that it would hold a 15-16 degree bevel without the edge rolling over. So far it seems to be doing just fine. It came with a 17 degree edge; I tried that then I took it down to 15 and cut with it a bit. I then did a compound bevel 15 with a 20 degree point. Both go thru like butter but I'm leaning toward the compound edge as it's going longer between steelings.

I've got a big charity cook this weekend and I'll give it a real workout then.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
That is a beautiful knife and it makes great sense. A couple of my favorite slicers have multiple arcs comprising the blade edge, which makes cutting so much easier. That slicer design makes perfect sense.

I am still undecided on the Granton edges on a thin slicer, but, they certainly work fine.
I was undecided on those as well, you can definitely feel additional drag when the blade gets in deep enough to get above the scallops - not a lot but there is some. One of the tweeks we're looking at is extending the scallops higher up toward the spine.

Keep those opinions coming!

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
landarc

I go compound edge on just about all of my Western or double bevel knives. Is that blade polished yet? I happen to like a high level of polish on the edge and blade on a slicer, I think that helps with feel and drag.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
Hogtie N' Ride
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice!
I went to a custom knife builder with a design and have a one of a kind. The only addition to what you have here was height offset handle to the blade to avoid knuckle drag on a table. I have big hands and bet my knuckles would be hitting the table causing me to change my angle of cut. Just a thought.....

I agree with the 14". 12" just wasn't enough with brisket.

The knife builder made one change to my design and did not do the dimples, he did not believe in them for a slicer, he's been making knives for 40+ years so I did not argue with him.

Nice job getting Wusthof on board! Can't imagine their knife being retailed for as much as my custom job.

Last edited by Hogtie N' Ride; 07-20-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Hogtie N' Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I've cut it a couple of different ways looking at just this issue. I asked them to spec the steel hard enough that it would hold a 15-16 degree bevel without the edge rolling over. So far it seems to be doing just fine. It came with a 17 degree edge; I tried that then I took it down to 15 and cut with it a bit. I then did a compound bevel 15 with a 20 degree point. Both go thru like butter but I'm leaning toward the compound edge as it's going longer between steelings.

I've got a big charity cook this weekend and I'll give it a real workout then.
I suspect if it's the same x50 cr mo steel then you will have the same issues (and benefits!) of a typical German knife. Since this is a specialty knife I imagine that even if the edge is sharpened at an angle that will more easily roll, anyone with basic sharpening skills can bring it right back. I would rather resharpen knives repeatedly then have a knife that performs marginally. Again, neat knife - and thanks for the info. Makes me want to go and work on my slicers!!
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
Big George's BBQ

Very nice Mike I would definately be interested in something like that
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Ooh, and it's a Classic-style, too. I'm collecting those.
How do we get one??

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #27
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I go compound edge on just about all of my Western or double bevel knives. Is that blade polished yet? I happen to like a high level of polish on the edge and blade on a slicer, I think that helps with feel and drag.
All the way down to 1800 polish tape - the edge is like a mirror.

-----------------
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #28
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I suspect if it's the same x50 cr mo steel then you will have the same issues (and benefits!) of a typical German knife. Since this is a specialty knife I imagine that even if the edge is sharpened at an angle that will more easily roll, anyone with basic sharpening skills can bring it right back. I would rather resharpen knives repeatedly then have a knife that performs marginally. Again, neat knife - and thanks for the info. Makes me want to go and work on my slicers!!
This is a good point - I don't want to push the price point way up by having Wusthof (or me) hand cut & polish every edge, while it needs to work well out of the box, most people are going to re cut it to their own tastes anyway.

-----------------
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #29
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtie N' Ride View Post
Nice!
I went to a custom knife builder with a design and have a one of a kind. The only addition to what you have here was height offset handle to the blade to avoid knuckle drag on a table. I have big hands and bet my knuckles would be hitting the table causing me to change my angle of cut. Just a thought.....
I wanted about 10mm more heel depth for this very reason, but that would have required a retooling (big $$$). With the radius on the blade allowing me to lift my elbow I haven't hit me knuckles yet and my hands aren't small.

-----------------
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Ooh, and it's a Classic-style, too. I'm collecting those.
How do we get one??
Watch this space

-----------------