oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

View Poll Results: Do you like SPAM?
I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!! 30 28.04%
I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam! 58 54.21%
As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it. 16 14.95%
Lemon Curry? 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #31
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

SPAMITIVITY is starting to flow all over the forum!!!
"Flow" as when a barrel of toxic biohazzard is illegally dumped on the side of a highway.

The Brethren are posting threads of Spam sculpture, Spam prose, even Spam romance!!!

Inspired tonight by the "Green Eggs and Spam" post in the Wood Pile.....

OK, I have not actually seen evidence of Romance yet... but I am sure it is going on! )

Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11

Last edited by Smiter Q; 07-20-2011 at 01:17 AM..
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #32
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot View Post
Guess what's printed on the back of one of the cans of SPAM deguerre requested I pick up at the local Hispanic grocer today? A SPAM user guide, wow, thought it was funny...anyone else get some strange stuff on their SPAM cans?

Wow, they even have directions now

That should tell you something about the demographic they are trying to reach... Smart enough to open a can, but only if they are given detailed instructions!

I hear it's a blossoming market segment.
Hybrid Pellet Pooper [I][B]"The Meat Vault"[/B][/I] - [B][COLOR=red]3[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED [/I][/B][/COLOR]Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & [COLOR=black]pre '79[/COLOR] - [COLOR=black][B][I]Black[/I][/B][/COLOR] OT Platinum (DH) - [B]SS AusPit[/B] - [B]Rib-O-Lator[/B] - SJ UDS (DI) - [B][I]CRAZY FAST[/I][/B] [COLOR=yellow][B][SIZE=3]Yeller[/SIZE] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #33
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
That should tell you something about the demographic they are trying to reach... Smart enough to open a can, but only if they are given detailed instructions!

I hear it's a blossoming market segment.
They're trying to enter the Southern marke...no, wait.
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #34
deguerre

Default My Spam's been in this since last night...

Marinade:
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tbs soy
3 tbs honey
1 tbs turbinado
2 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp cayenne
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #35
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

I'll be creating a 2nd entry tonight since deguerre's already gonna have the grill going. Mine involves coc...well, maybe I shouldn't give any hints.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #36
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife isn't exactly the most adventurous eater so any SPAM experimentation I do would all end up in my already sizeable gut. However...my folks are coming for a visit next week so I think I'll definitely have to bust out a few cans and treat my dad to some gelatinous porky goodness. A TD entry will surely ensue!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot View Post
I'll be creating a 2nd entry tonight since deguerre's already gonna have the grill going. Mine involves coc...well, maybe I shouldn't give any hints.
This one's gonna be pure wicked evil.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #38
Tango Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been struck dumb with astonishment and amazement which is bordering upon spamification!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #39
deguerre

Default Spam Tease

Guess...

Annnnnnnd the payoff! I wanted to call them spash-kabobs, but Redhot came up with Spatay!

Strike a pose...

The marinade was reduced to a sauce for drizziling after cooking. Last pic for the entry please.

Last edited by deguerre; 07-20-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #40
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Woo YEAH, deguerre had to keep me outta this stuff while I put on my...not saying yet...but dayum, I didn't know SPAM could be so good. Maybe we should all stock up on SPAM so we'll have something to eat when the apocalypse actually happens. And his marinate simmered down into a sauce - aaaaahhhhh - wonderful, really, he had to take the spoon from me. Wow, it's a keeper!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #41
bigabyte

Default Spicy Pineapple Uspide-Down SPAM Cake (1 of 2)

So I was researching SPAM cookery when I stumbled across an odd question that someone had posed to Hormel, and Hormel had answered.

The question was whether they had any recipes or ideas for adding SPAM to Cake recipes.

The answer Hormel gave was to substitute the oil in a standard sized cake recipe with a loaf of SPAM.

After the shock and absolutely freakish scare that occurred once I fully processed and understood what they were getting at, I knew I had to try this.

With the Throwdown, my mind had been in the Pineapple realm with SPAM, which is common. So the first cake that came to mind was a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

I figured if I was making a SPAM flavored Pineapple Upside Down Cake, it might be even BETTER if I kicked it up with some peppers and onion! I mean, not only does SPAM blend well with the flavors of Pineapple, Cherries and Pecans, but it also blends with Peppers and Onions. And likewise, the flavors of Pineapple, Cherries and Pecan go well with the flavors of Peppers and Onions.

This plan seemed like a "can't fail" taste combo. The only trick was whether or not making a SPAM cake would really WORK!

So enough of the talk, here's the cake...

...continued on next post (I hit the maximum number of images in one post).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #42
bigabyte

Default Spicy Pineapple Uspide-Down SPAM Cake (2 of 2)

It rose!

It kinda looks like cake.

It looks like cake from the side too!

It sliced like cake, had the texture of cake, even looked like cake on the inside!

Now for the verdict...

It tastes like a spicy hot Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a hint of onion. I could not taste the SPAM at all. I at pieces of the the cake itself to try and discern the SPAM flavor, but all I could get was a "something different" oil based flavor, and that was when trying to seek out the flavor!

So my 15 year old son walks into the kitchen, sees the cake, looks at me, looks at the cake, looks at me again, points at the cake and asks, "What's that other than some sort of Pineapple and Cherry Cake with Nuts sort of thing?" I tell him it is a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Not easily fooled any more by my creations, and perhaps sensing a smirk on my face, he puts his face down by the cake to get a good smell. He asked, "What smells like BBQ"? I told him it was cooked outside on the smoker, but that it also was a Spicy Hot Pineapple Upside Down Cake that had peppers in it (I did not tell him it had onion or he would not have tried it). So he asks for a "small" slice to try it out. He ate the whole thing, so I asked what he thought. He said, "It was too spicy, next time you should leave out the peppers, but other than that it was really good! He wanted another piece, so he got one! This time he got a glass of milk to go with it even!

...and no...he STILL does not have ANY idea there is SPAM in it at ALL!

IN FACT...I am willing to bet that if you made this without the onions, peppers and cayenne, that you could serve this to ANYONE and they would have NO IDEA it had SPAM in it. I am drop dead farking serious. I think that is why the spicy angle failed...because who in their right mind would add onions, peppers and cayenne to regular Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

SO I CHALLENGE THE BRETHREN...to try this (without the onions, peppers and cayenne of course), and be surprised for yourself, as surprised as I am (I am seriously in a near state of shock here), that there is supposedly SPAM in this cake. I know there is, I put it in there and I have the pictures to prove it. It sure as hell doesn't TASTE like it has any SPAM in it.

So there you go.

And so ends the first Pineapple Upside-Down SPAM Cake experiment at the Baker Research Facility.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #43
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sadly I am viewing this from my phone but I am blown away. Well played sir, well played indeed. I see now that it's been brought'n. Between you, redhot, deguerre, and I can only imagine the countless others, this is gonna get interesting. All I can say is, the gloves are gonna have to come off to win this one.

*rolls up sleeves and goes to work*
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #44
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post

It tastes like a spicy hot Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a hint of onion. I could not taste the SPAM at all.
Well Dang! For that last statement alone you've got my vote!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #45
deguerre

OK Chris, I'm stunned. Absolutely stunned.

Tags
SPAM, Throwdown