The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weber 22 1/2 silver for $50

I found a Weber silver on Craigslist that the guy says has only be used twice. The pics look good. He wants $75 for the grill, a grill brush, a charcoal starter chimney (not a Weber) and about 15 Lbs. of KB. I offered him $40 since I don't need the chimney, charcoal, or brush. He said he would take $50 for the grill or $60 for all of it. What do you think?

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't know your area or how many Webers come across your local CL but I would think you could find a better deal. In the KC area there are always kettles on CL and you can usually find a good one for under $40. However, if they are more sparse in your area it may not be a horrible deal. Remember though, brand new you can get them for $70 or even less on sale.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure how many webers pop up in your area. $40 - $50 is an average "asking" range here for a newer weber on CL. Older more beat up ones a little less. Sometimes there are more/better bargain, but not always. Do you want to wait 2 months for a weber that is $10 less? Also, if you are interested.. don't take too long to decide as they move pretty quick too. Is there an inside picture of the grill. Is it shiny looking, like it only had 2 cooks on it.... or does it look like it has been through the backyard war zone.

Take a look at some older ads on CL for your area and see what other postings went for.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

It looks brand new in the picture. We don't get all that many Webers for sale here in Craigslist and when they do turn up at a decent price, they don't stay long. I looked around and new ones in this area are about $90. I really would rather have a gold I think. Are they worth the difference in cost?

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I really would rather have a gold I think. Are they worth the difference in cost?
IMO, absolutely.

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I'd pass.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It looks brand new in the picture. We don't get all that many Webers for sale here in Craigslist and when they do turn up at a decent price, they don't stay long. I looked around and new ones in this area are about $90. I really would rather have a gold I think. Are they worth the difference in cost?
Ahhh.... mentioning the One Touch Gold changes perspective!

I waited until I was able to find a gold on CL. I am glad I did. I got it for 40 bucks with a bag of charcoal. It was already 11 years old when I did so. Was not shiny and new, rather a rugged backyard veteran is how I viewed it. Personally though after using it for 2 plus years, at this point I would of paid full price retail if I had to. And I am a cheap bugger! I LOVE the ash catcher on the gold. Some folks may not think it is not worth the price, but I cook on mine 2-3 times weekly every week, so for me the convenience is definitely worth it.

All depends on your timing, needs, and wants. If you have a little dough around, buy new and you can begin cooking on it by the weekend maybe even. If you want a CL deal of the year it may take a year to find one. I got my CL deal of the century a couple of weeks back, but I had been looking almost daily for 3 years and finally landed the big score. 3 years is a loooong time to wait. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=110560

Amazon has them new for $135, free shipping, no tax. Best price I can find for a new one. The gold models I think also come with the hinge grate, which is wonderful as well. If you do buy new and do not have a protected area, sport for the cover, as that also would help your investment. Or pick one up down the road a little later.

Either way... good luck and let us know what ya decide!

Amazon.com: Weber 751001 22.5-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZWYYG9RQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ZWYYG9RQL
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11

Last edited by Smiter Q; 07-18-2011 at 12:35 PM..
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will stand firm on my $40 offer. If he takes it OK, if not I will just keep looking and maybe find a gold.

Unread 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
qnbiker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will stand firm on my $40 offer. If he takes it OK, if not I will just keep looking and maybe find a gold.
One Touch Silvers go for $15-40 around here, $40 for one in excellent condition.

Unread 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
morgantm
Knows what a fatty is.

I saw this one on CL when it was posted as well. Almost emailed him but decided to pass, I've seen better deals.
and a Super Fast Yellow Thermapen
morgantm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a Silver... I just bought a vintage pre-1979 weber 22.5 (Silver style) for $50 with 10# of charcoal!
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, I have been drooling over your steal on CL. I would love to find one like it to match my large red gasser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Selle View Post
I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a Silver... I just bought a vintage pre-1979 weber 22.5 (Silver style) for $50 with 10# of charcoal!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

that is sweet
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle