• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Road trip to Kansas City

Grifter

Found some matches.
Reaction score
The wife and I are going to hope on the bike and take a road trip to Kansas City in Sept.
Going down to watch the Twins/Royals games. And of course to eat ourselves silly of BBQ.

What are some good places to stop at. So far I have had recommended to me, Jacks Stackhouse, and Oklahoma Joes. Everyone knows of Arthur Bryant's, and Ive heard less than stellar things about it compared to the other 2 places.

So what say you for places to hit up down there.

Oklahoma Joe's, I like the original in the gas station at 47th and Mission Rd in KC KS, and Fiorella's Jack Stack are both can't miss. Most people, including myself, are usually disappointed with Arthur Bryant's (and I'm trying to be kind about it) but if you want to go the original location just east of downtown KCMO is the one to go to. Not many people mention it but I like Wyandotte BBQ in Overland Park because it's a old-fashioned BBQ joint, nothing fancy - just good food. Lot's of other places also but I've gotten to where I don't eat much BBQ out anymore so I'll just go with those.

Have a great trip.

You might try Gates (I go to the one at 103rd and State Line). Has a long storied history like Arthur Bryants and is better IMHO. Folks tend to love it or hate it, not much in between. I like their burnt ends. I'd still point people to the two already mentioned before Gates, but if you're thinking about Bryants, just go to Gates is what I say.:thumb:

It's a bit of a trip, but I liked Wabash BBQ out in Excelsior Springs. I haven't eaten there for several years so am not sure it is still that good. Maybe some local brethren will chime in on it. It still has high ratings on Urbanspoon.

My boys and I are going to hit the road tomorrow for a quick trip to KC from MN...just for the Q. I'll hit as many of these as I can and update...with Pic's!

Thanks guys. I will try to hit as many of these as time allows.

BBQ is nice but make sure you hit Stroud's for fried chicken and cinnamon rolls. Trust.

+1 on Strouds if you need a break from the BBQ. Also, aside from the other can't miss locations already named, you might check out woodyard BBQ.

Smokin' Guns BB on Swift Avenue in KC, MO is excellent and yes that's the same Smokin' Guns that the rub was named after....If you go I have two words for you....burnt ends!!!!

If someone from out of town comes visit me, and likes BBQ, I take them to Oklahoma Joe's, or Gate's on 103, If they LOVE BBQ, and smokes BBQ at home, I probably would take them to Smoking guns (burnt ends and that potato thingy).

If someone was in town from a bbq comp. , I would take them to Stroud's, or southwest blvd. and hit some mexican places.

Im a Kansas City Native (and a new member of the forum).

Tears well up in my eyes when I think of strouds. Its that good. I could eat a vat of their gravy. Probably die in the process but it would be worth it right now....

Ditto on Gates & Fiorella's Jack Stack for BBQ.

Does anyone go to Heyward's anymore? I always loved their burnt ends but its been YEARS since I have been there.

Patrick

Well, I am here in KC! We ate at Fiorella's Jack Stack House our first night. Excellent! I had the BBQ Sliced Meat so I could get a little sample of a few things. Very good! Everything was fall apart tender and seasoned well. One of their locations happens to be near our hotel, so we will definitely eat there again and I will go for the burnt ends.
We have a couple of baseball games to go to the next 2 days, so we will see what we can find on the other end of town.
I may have to hit up Strouds. I do really enjoy chicken and I know the wife wont argue.

Jacks Stack

If you go back to jackstack get the crown beef rib. Its incredible. Stroud's is a very good choice as well.

Eric

Im a Kansas City Native (and a new member of the forum).

Tears well up in my eyes when I think of strouds. Its that good. I could eat a vat of their gravy. Probably die in the process but it would be worth it right now....

Ditto on Gates & Fiorella's Jack Stack for BBQ.

Does anyone go to Heyward's anymore? I always loved their burnt ends but its been YEARS since I have been there.

Patrick

I have not been to Haywards in years. Last I heard, it has gone downhill quickly and isn't that good anymore. I want to give it one last shot but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Well, I am here in KC! We ate at Fiorella's Jack Stack House our first night. Excellent! I had the BBQ Sliced Meat so I could get a little sample of a few things. Very good! Everything was fall apart tender and seasoned well. One of their locations happens to be near our hotel, so we will definitely eat there again and I will go for the burnt ends.
We have a couple of baseball games to go to the next 2 days, so we will see what we can find on the other end of town.
I may have to hit up Strouds. I do really enjoy chicken and I know the wife wont argue.

+1 on Strouds. Are you staying out by the stadium or somewhere else?

We are on Main street, in what I guess I would call downtown(?)

Well, Arthur Bryant's isn't too far from you. Worth trying and seeing one of the iconic BBQ places.

We ran out of time to hit more BBQ joints. We saw alot of the sights. WW1 Museum, Truman Museum, Federal Reserve Museum, toured the Harley plant, caught 2 baseball games, toured Boulevard beer. We packed alot into only a few days.

We did Jack Stacks twice, because we both liked it that much and it was easy walking distance. BBQ Sliced Meat and Burnt Ends FTW! Their sausage was a piece of tasty art.

We did stop and eat at Grinders. That was pretty good stuff. Cool funky place too.
Had some Minskey's pizza, which was really really good. Then of course on our last full day there we find out that there was a Gates just north of us we could have gone to!
Oh well, it wont be my last trip to KC.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Back