The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Smile The BBQ Brethren, from the Backyard to the American Royal

When I joined the Bandera Brethren, the focus was on New Braunfels Bandera. I loved Bandera 101. My brother in law who does auto body souped it up... this was an upgrade from my NB Black Diamond that he also souped up...With what we learned from the website and trial and error we felt confident enough to do a competition or two with our back yard equipment and did very well....Thanks to my mentors, Purple Turtles, I had the opportunity to go to the American Royal Invitational and Open in 2007....

After watching Derek Jeter get his 3000th hit with a home run and 5/5 hits and a stolen base...

I just wondered who else has gone from the Backyard to the American Royal...BBQ Brethren's motto?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cliff, I joined much later than you, and still consider myself a guest here. But I know the knowledge and advice I have gotten is unmatchable. If I were competing I am positive the knowledge I have now would be the greatest benefit.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Sledneck
Time Out

A big congrats to Derek Jeter on his accomplishment. I am a mets fan but I was fortunate enough to run in to him Florida a few years back and had a 1 on 1 conversation with him, he is truly a class act and a very down to earth guy.

With regard to the "motto" I have always been somewhat in disagreement with this statement. I think their are many other events that are just as prestigious as the royal. I did start in the backyard like most of us. I also had the opportunity to compete at the royal invitational and passed on it.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSmokehouse View Post
When I joined the Bandera Brethren, the focus was on New Braunfels Bandera. I loved Bandera 101. My brother in law who does auto body souped it up... this was an upgrade from my NB Black Diamond that he also souped up...With what we learned from the website and trial and error we felt confident enough to do a competition or two with our back yard equipment and did very well....Thanks to my mentors, Purple Turtles, I had the opportunity to go to the American Royal Invitational and Open in 2007....

After watching Derek Jeter get his 3000th hit with a home run and 5/5 hits and a stolen base...

I just wondered who else has gone from the Backyard to the American Royal...BBQ Brethren's motto?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
Sorry Sled that you passed on one of the best contests...Really helped me put into perspective what it is all about... 100 teams Invitational, 500 Open...30 plus teams Westport...

I expected a few more responses on this thread...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Unread 07-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

i made it to the AR in 2008.. 4 years after my first contest...

and unlike Mr Negative up there...... i went to the AR, and went to the Jack the same year.

BTW, in my opinion.. The AR invitational is the big boy... competing against ALL the Grand Champs in the country, as opposed to the few LUCKY enough to win a draw is a bigger challenge... and when you look around at kemper, and the glitz of the American Royal, you know you have arrived.. when u look around at the jack, well, it could be the contest around the corner. ..

besides.. 'From the Backyard to the American Royal' sounds alot better than 'from the backyard to jacks yard..'

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

I am a new guy here but I think you are all missing the true meaning of the slogan.

We are all BBQ Brethren.

EVERYONE from those that cook on propane gas in their BACKYARDS all the way to those that cook at the AMERICAN ROYAL. We are one Brehtren. The spiritual connection we have is found in the smoke not in the place we cook. Being Brethren should have nothing to do with advancement through the evolution or stages of competition. It's about all of us being connected by the smoke, no matter where we cook.

From the Backyard to the American Royal
26.75 Weber OTG
22.5 WSM w/Pitmaster IQ 110
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
32' Fleetwood Bounder (Motorhome).
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
I am a new guy here but I think you are all missing the true meaning of the slogan.

We are all BBQ Brethren.

EVERYONE from those that cook on propane gas in their BACKYARDS all the way to those that cook at the AMERICAN ROYAL. We are one Brehtren. The spiritual connection we have is found in the smoke not in the place we cook. Being Brethren should have nothing to do with advancement through the evolution or stages of competition. It's about all of us being connected by the smoke, no matter where we cook.

I think you got it right.

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

and unlike Mr Negative up there...... i went to the AR, and went to the Jack the same year.

BTW, in my opinion.. The AR invitational is the big boy... competing against ALL the Grand Champs in the country, as opposed to the few LUCKY enough to win a draw is a bigger challenge... and when you look around at kemper, and the glitz of the American Royal, you know you have arrived.. when u look around at the jack, well, it could be the contest around the corner. ..

besides.. 'From the Backyard to the American Royal' sounds alot better than 'from the backyard to jacks yard..'
Yep.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

Just my two cents. I've been into many sports and hobbies for most of my life. BBQ, like many recreational activities, is one of those things that if you run into a stranger that is also into smoking/cueing, you instantly have a connection and you just get it. All this, and I get to have my family and friends together, enjoying good food and good company. Not looking to get into competitions, just being known as the local hero! My fans are my wife, my kids and my buddies. That will always be enough for me.

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post

We are all BBQ Brethren.

Pretty good!! Thats real close to the original intent....Heres some history...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...129&post549129

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

Thanks Phil,

I appreciate the same about AR...but you were there in 2007 and saw us as squatters until Bill Arnold came with most of our borrowed gear in his pickup. I was the artfull dodger collecting all necessary items from BBQ Brethren that we(Nancee) arranged through your website...I wore the BBQ Brethren T Shirt that you gave me and was welcomed every where I went..it felt great being a BBQ Brethren...and it was an awsome experience...I have never had so much fun and been so exhausted...I did it...from the Backyard to the American Royal...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Being a relative newb, I do appreciate the history and certainly understand the intent of the Brethren. This Forum is soooooo much better than the options. We have friendly, helpful people here that just love their Q. For the most part.... it is not about egos and longevity on the Brethren, it is about helping and learning.
There are 99 positive people here to your 1 negative jerk...
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Within the banner of the logo defines a simple purpose.
The phrase BBQ Brethren.... Brothers in Smoke defines a deeper meaning.

Brothers helping Brothers... regardless of stature, tenure, or popularity.
Being there when asked and needed... holding a moral ground.

For myself, its BBQ rubbed with a generous bit of humanity.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #14
Skidder
Babbling Farker

We proudly where our Brethren shirts at every event we attend not cause we like the shirts but because we understand what the shirts meaning is and we will always help and promote bbq wherever we go.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My wife and I have each qualified twice for Terlingua and haven't gone. I haven't qualified for The Royal and doubt I ever will (dont do KCBS frequently), but if we (the team) did I doubt we'd go for the same reason that we dont go to Terlingua; too much $$$ too far away... Now, being on this side of the mighty Mississippi, IF we qualify for Memphis In May, we'll be there.

Poob, respectfully, I think all 3 (you'd only mentioned 2) have their unique draw & prestige. One could debate that the Dillard/Waycross competition (National BBQ Competition) is right up there too...

It would be nice to see which brethren have gone from the back yard to competition at that level though.