The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Kurobuta pork, who uses it?

For those of you using higher grade pork for your comp meats, are you seeing much differentiation in time and temp ranges for finished products? I am looking at trying out some kurobuta butt and spares in the next comp, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Unread 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

not kurobta, but neiman ranch(i think that's where they from). i do see a difference in cooking times with boutique meats. they cook faster.

as an aside, i personally am not a good enough cook to try something new at a comp. i always have to give it a couple runs at home first. YMMV.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Trying Berkshire ribs this weekend. I guess we'll see if they are worth the price :)

Unread 07-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally I wouldn't turn in Korobuta spares, something about the flavor that I'm not sure the Judges are ready for. The ones I can get are not that big in the first place and even though I have a meat sponsor, if I was paying for them the price is too much to justify getting dumped on by the professional eaters.

Butts are a different thing, IMO they are richer flavored and you could turn them in without injecting and do well. My supplier carries boneless in the 7-8 lb range.
I have cooked quite a few CT Butts at home and for our supplier (banned from KCBS events) and they cook differently than the Butts and can see now why people were using them-its like a giant Money Muscle and excellent for slicing, but not for pulled IMO.

I'd love to pull these out and try them on the judges-

Short ribs! These are out of the world! But then again why take a chance on some a$$wad dinging you for "uneven knife cuts"?? Just sayin'.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
ique
is One Chatty Farker

I use something they call a pork collar, works GREAT!
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

OMG, it was an honest/valid question!

at the time, who knew what the ramifications were going to be....well maybe some did.

i'm sure you weren't one of them.

sous vide pork collar? i'll try some.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I use something they call a pork collar, works GREAT!
Well, it's about that time again.... when we hijack a pork butt thread and turn it into a pork collar thread - Brian, you tuned up and ready to go?

I also use Kurobota butts and really like them. We're trying a Berkshire-Duroc blend this weekend. I like the real heavy pork taste of the Duroc and the Berkshire fat is butter - I can't wait to see what the combined tastes like.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
not kurobta, but neiman ranch(i think that's where they from). i do see a difference in cooking times with boutique meats. they cook faster.

as an aside, i personally am not a good enough cook to try something new at a comp. i always have to give it a couple runs at home first. YMMV.
Man, I would love to try Nieman Ranch butts, never seen them around here. I love their pork chops.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
For those of you using higher grade pork for your comp meats, are you seeing much differentiation in time and temp ranges for finished products? I am looking at trying out some kurobuta butt and spares in the next comp, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
So a straight answer is I have cooked berkshire a variety of times but have not noticed a difference worth double+ the price and having to order by the case and never being sure exactly what I'm going to get. Definitely will not hurt you.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I have tried duroc, tamworth, berkshire, tamshire and red wattle. I have not found enough of a difference in a pork butt to warrant the cost. However as a chop absolutely.

Check out my new show BBQ Crawl !
Travel Channel (US) Cottage Life & Travel & Escape (Canada)

Life is too short for bad BBQ®
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Smokin' Hicks
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 2

the baby back ribs are absolutely AWESOME...they taste like pork use to taste with some fat content in it.....the only problem is the baby backs are very small and, i have never seen berkshire st louis style ribs

Smokin' Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote