The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Moist Brisket

If I listen to most people in here the flavor profile in brisket is not as important as how moist you can have your brisket come out. With this it seems I have the results I have seen in pictures or even in a few resturaunts I have tried. I am asking the brethren for some tips that can improve how moist my brisket finishes.
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
fivelombardis
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a few things really:

+ DO NOT overcook it...pull when it reaches the optimal temp.

+ cook at a nice and steady temp.

+ try to get your briskets up to about room temp before you slap them in the pit.

+ wrap in foil/butcher paper after a few hours in the smoke.

+ let it rest in an old ice chest at least 40 mins-1 hour before slicing into it!

+ a lot of guys in here swear by injecting and/or mopping their briskets before and during the cook.

+ lastly, and most sadly, the majority of the time it depends on the quality/grade of the brisket you purchased. I say sadly because many times when you're really craving brisket, you buy what you can find and sometimes those packers lack a lot to be desired.

Good luck.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

I believe people over think their brisket. It's not a temp thing when done, but rather a probe for butter thing. Wrap at 165 and rest when butter tender. Basic is better, don't really need to over trim or inject or take the fat cap down to nothing. I learned the expensive way by trying to do too much to the meat.

Unread 09-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEvoy AZ View Post
If I listen to most people in here the flavor profile in brisket is not as important as how moist you can have your brisket come out.
I have to disagree to some extent. From a competition standpoint, and at least in my house, I want brisket to taste like beef. If I have a juicy slice that tastes like maple syrup injection then I won't like it. On the flip side, a beefy tasting piece of shoe leather won't work. So I would say flavor profile and moistness are equal.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cook brisket at 275 - 325 until probe tender. I don't wrap, anything below Choice I inject with a cup of canolla oil. I don't wrap or put into a cooler, I put it on a rack with a drip pan under it and tent it with foil when the IT drops into the 140's its ready to serve.

Unread 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
HickoryJ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I cook brisket at 275 - 325 until probe tender. I don't wrap, anything below Choice I inject with a cup of canolla oil. I don't wrap or put into a cooler, I put it on a rack with a drip pan under it and tent it with foil when the IT drops into the 140's its ready to serve.
do u do anything with the drippings?

Unread 09-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Tool SmokinBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryJ View Post
I like to collect the drippings and let them rest in the fridge. It makes it super easy to skim the fat off and use the remaining drippings for a BBQ sauce or mop recipe.

Unread 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryJ View Post
I skim of the fat and dredge the slices in the liquid love.

Unread 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

On this advice...

"Just a few things really:

+ DO NOT overcook it...pull when it reaches the optimal temp.

LOL which can be anywhere from 175 to 205. So by all means, make sure you look on the wrapper to see exactly what they temp is.

+ cook at a nice and steady temp.

The Nice temp.... LOL Not too nice... or all you'll absorb is smoke, and not too aggressive, or you will burn your bridges.... like the guy in Roadhouse says... "Just be Nice."

+ try to get your briskets up to about room temp before you slap them in the pit.

Irrelevant see this...

Note the care I take in placement of the brisket at 1:35

+ wrap in foil/butcher paper after a few hours in the smoke.

after what? No way... he did not say that

+ let it rest in an old ice chest at least 40 mins-1 hour before slicing into it!

and we all know who gets it to jiggle right?

+ a lot of guys in here swear by injecting and/or mopping their briskets before and during the cook.

Please... lots of people swear BECAUSE they mopped their sad Assed brisket

+ lastly, and most sadly, the majority of the time it depends on the quality/grade of the brisket you purchased. I say sadly because many times when you're really craving brisket, you buy what you can find and sometimes those packers lack a lot to be desired.

Hah.... give me a select cut, learn on that and after you burn your first quality cut you will be ready.

Good luck."

Comment
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am finding I have better success with mositure in my brisket cooks, when I cook hotter. I have done selects and choice packers this year at a higher temperature (280F to 300F) and both wrapped or not. The meat has been moist more consistently, I believe this is due to the higher heat.

I do not bother with temperature of meat going onto the cooker. Nor do I normally inject or otherwise play with the meat. I do remove as much hard fat as I can until I lose interest, thus there is usually a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick fat cap, sometimes more, or less, or both.

I have been wrapping with butcher paper this year, and I have no idea if it matters, but, I like the results so far, so I keep doing it. The bark, color and moisture have been excellent.

I am not convinced that meat grade matters, as the brisket is not graded on it's own, it is graded relative to the carcass, so each brisket is it's own puzzle. Unlike something like Wagyu, which is graded on each cut, most U.S. packers are graded as a carcass, I have had some excellent select packers this year.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
McEvoy AZ

I recently had someone tell me they slice their brisket right on the smoker, dredge the slices in it's own juices and then wrap and hold. Is this possible you can get a very moist brisket slice this way. I have always just held for a hour to four hours before slicing. Just wanted to know if anyone has tied this and if so did it work, before I ruin a brisket.

Unread 09-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You will get wet brisket that way, not moist, wet.

well, that was cryptic, the reality is, that when a brisket is first done cooking, it has a lot of fluid heated to a high temperature. As you let the meat rest, the temperature comes down and the fluid equalizes with the surrounding meat. It allows you to slice more easily, the fiber of the meat are more stable and the moisture is cooled to a point it will stay in the meat fibers better. You are better off resting at least an hour, and either wrapping or doing what Bludawg says will work as well. Cutting immediately and running through the moisture that leaked out will just leave the meat wet on the outside.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
McEvoy AZ

I think I know what you mean about wet as I have done something like this with pork in a comp before. Although I did place 3rd overall, one judge made a comment that it was wet and I knew what he ment. At the same time I thought maybe if I just toned it back just a little it would have been perfect. I know that brisket is different then my pork slices, but when wet was mentioned it seemed to be what I visioned.

Now how about spritzing or mopping, have tried that before with not much luck. What about injection, it seams that maybe that has helped when I have tried, but like most of the breathern I would not really want to change the flavor so much, but if it makes a moist product then by al means I will do it.

I have cooked plenty of briskest, but just need that one or two clues that takes my brisket over the top. Here is some of the things I have been doing.

1. Buying choise RD 13 LBS briskest with as loose as possible totes.

2. Trim to 1/4" fat cap, trim blue skin and fatty spots and almost trim the point from the flat( around 3/4 of the way thru.

3. I make a beef boulion paste that I slather on to a right out of the fridge or cooler brisket. I cover with a rub that has little to no suger then right on to a 250 degree WSM.

4. I let the brisket cook for hours before I look at it. I use the scratch test to tell if the bark has set, before wrapping in tin foil. That is usually around 165 degrees.

5. I try to cook just under what I would consider fork tender, if my brisket is going to hold in a camero at a comp that it will share with hot pork. At home I try to shoot for fork tender.(usually between 205 to 210 degrees)

I think my exact ingredients and wood choice is irellivent for this conversation, but the change lately in ingredients have lately helped me with a better smoke ring.

Now with what I have laid out, is there anything that can help me take my brisket over the top being moist?

Unread 09-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
McEvoy AZ

Five I do thank you for your imput, and I do respect other opinions, even if they are argumentative. I believe in helping as much as I can if I can help someone cook a great item. It's just good BBQ karma. This is what this forum seems to be about, breathern helping breathern to achiev the best possible BBQ.

Unread 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEvoy AZ View Post
I think I know what you mean about wet as I have done something like this with pork in a comp before. Although I did place 3rd overall, one judge made a comment that it was wet and I knew what he ment. At the same time I thought maybe if I just toned it back just a little it would have been perfect. I know that brisket is different then my pork slices, but when wet was mentioned it seemed to be what I visioned.

Now how about spritzing or mopping, have tried that before with not much luck. What about injection, it seams that maybe that has helped when I have tried, but like most of the breathern I would not really want to change the flavor so much, but if it makes a moist product then by al means I will do it.

I have cooked plenty of briskest, but just need that one or two clues that takes my brisket over the top. Here is some of the things I have been doing.

1. Buying choise RD 13 LBS briskest with as loose as possible totes.

2. Trim to 1/4" fat cap, trim blue skin and fatty spots and almost trim the point from the flat( around 3/4 of the way thru.

3. I make a beef boulion paste that I slather on to a right out of the fridge or cooler brisket. I cover with a rub that has little to no suger then right on to a 250 degree WSM.

4. I let the brisket cook for hours before I look at it. I use the scratch test to tell if the bark has set, before wrapping in tin foil. That is usually around 165 degrees.

5. I try to cook just under what I would consider fork tender, if my brisket is going to hold in a camero at a comp that it will share with hot pork. At home I try to shoot for fork tender.(usually between 205 to 210 degrees)

I think my exact ingredients and wood choice is irellivent for this conversation, but the change lately in ingredients have lately helped me with a better smoke ring.

Now with what I have laid out, is there anything that can help me take my brisket over the top being moist?
Cook it hotter 275+ no need to wrap in foil I can't speak to butcher paper as I haven't fully vetted it. At 275 + there is no stall. Forget meat temp probe tender in the point & flat is winner winner brisket dinner.