The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
EricF
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I too prefer 80/20 chuck for making burgers. I like to simply S&P both sides of my patties after I get them formed cover them and let them sit out on the counter. In the mean time I get the fire roaring hot. I put the burgers on and sear each side real good. Then I choke the fire down to about 300 offset cook until desired internal temp.

Once or twice a year I like to make a Chorizo stuffed burger.
Fry up the Chorizo sausage (the sausage is greasy so spoon out as much grease as you can) let the sausage cool.
When forming the burger patty make them half as thick as usual.
I place a slice of pepper jack cheese on one of the patties then I spoon on some of the cooled chorizo sausage followed by another burger patty.
salt and pepper both sides of the now formed burgers, and grill them as above.

Oh and some times I add a few mesquite wood chips to the fire for a smoky flavor.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Grind up some brisket and some cheap-o-bacon and mix together really well....spice to taste....course grind and than fine grind...
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

You might dig my Fiesta Burger. The ice water trick does wonders.

You can even watch me make it here

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I like to keep my burgers rather simple. I start out with two lbs of 90/10 ground beef usually. I add one egg and 1/4 cup of tomato juice to it and mix it up. I make four 1/2lb patties out of that and cook them over really high heat just as I would a steak. I season them with salt and pepper before I toss them on the kettle. I like to toss on a slice of cheddar when they have finished cooking and serve them up on kaiser rolls with some sauteed onions and a little bbq sauce and/or some home made chili...

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Rock48nj
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My two cents. Two keys to a perfect "pure" burger. 1) Make you own grind 2) DO NOT season the grind, season the patty just ahead of the cook. Sure sometimes I'm in the mood for something funky and I will add things like seasoning, veggies, cheeses, sauces, whatever to a burger mix.. but this is more a "meat loaf" style burger.

If you want pure, unadulterated, juicy hamburger goodness you can't have that stuff in the mix. You can see for yourself very easily.. add some salt to a grind and cook one burger, just season the patty for another. The difference will be visible.

Of late my grind is equal parts sirloin, brisket, and short-rib. Medium grind, loosely formed patties (another key to juiciness)... season outside just ahead of cooking with S&P. I cook on the grill or cast iron. On the grill, you want it hot to start, then I bump down slightly. I flip once, maybe twice (depending on temp and char). Maybe some cheese and cook to med-rare on a lightly buttered (if grilled), toasted potato roll.
Rock48nj is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

One thing i've tried is doing the stuff hamburgers. Haven't really cared for them. Always seemed more trouble than its worth. And doesn't really seem to effect the taste that much.

Something I do for the wife that she likes is mix all hte toppings in a blender to make a spread. I put chopped onions, relish, cherry tomatores, mustard, ketchup, mayo, shreaded chees in a blender. Blend, and make the spread. Same thing that would normall top but its all mixed together.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
sullysQ
Knows what a fatty is.

+1 on the GENTLY formed patties, thats the secret no matter what seasoning you put on it.
Even reheats taste juicy when employing the gently formed patty, even my fiances ex-husband will attest to that, her daughter had taken him some of my burgers I cooked and he called her to brag on her burgers and that she had never made them that good before then she told him I cooked them....hahahaha best laugh Ive had in awhile.
sullysQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Burgers are about my favorite meal. If I'm at a restaurant, it's also one of my favorite things to order as I can see how creative they are in the kitchen. One thing I always like is a spoonful of sour cream mixed in with the meat (preferably 80/20). My grandmother taught me this trick to add moisture and keep them from drying out.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

I always use 80/20, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce per lb. to bring on the umami, and fresh cracked pepper.

I stole the fish sauce "secret" from the new off the hook gourmet burger chain Umami Burger in Southern California. It adds a nice richness to the burger.

Gore, I'll have to try the sour cream trick.

26-1/2" OTG, A Clutch of BGEs, Hole in the Ground Brick Fire Pit
Second recipient of the Aussie Lamb Farker's (ALF) Award. EAT MOЯ LAMB!!
Got crabs with SmokinAussie!
Demented Architect of The MOINK Ball Timpano and Tower of Funnel (ToFu)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out this http://www.cheeseandburger.com/ it has quite a few burger recipes that I've tried and all of the were delicious.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #26
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Something I tried last week that was pretty good. I mixed up about 2 TBS of Johnny's French Dip Concentrated Au Jus Sauce with about 4 TBS of water, about 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic and some black pepper.

I formed several patties from a pound of 80/20 ground chuck and spooned on a little of the mixture and let it seep in each patty. Then, I flipped the patties over and spooned on the remaining mixture. Once it seeped into the meat I cooked as usual. They were pretty good.

I also tried mixing about 1 part ground bacon with 2 parts ground beef, seasoned as above and cooked. They were pretty good too.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
NorthwestBBQ

So easy, use ground Chuck.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #28
SmokeOCD
Full Fledged Farker

I am really surprised pork-burgers aren't all that popular. Even I don't make them, but it's a must hit item at the State fair for me. I like a lot of these tips - mostly the simpler ones.
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #29
R_Mac_1
Found some matches.

I've always made them the same way. I use 80/20 meat and make 1/3 lb patties. Put them on a cookie sheet or plate and drizzle a little worcestershire on them. Then I just crack some sea salt and pepper on top and grill them up, medium preferably.

I also like to grill some onion to go on them, and butter and toast the bun as well. Some pepper jack and whatever condiments you like. Mmm
R_Mac_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #30
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Mac_1 View Post
I've always made them the same way. I use 80/20 meat and make 1/3 lb patties. Put them on a cookie sheet or plate and drizzle a little worcestershire on them. Then I just crack some sea salt and pepper on top and grill them up, medium preferably.

I also like to grill some onion to go on them, and butter and toast the bun as well. Some pepper jack and whatever condiments you like. Mmm
Sounds yummy.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hamburger recipe, temperature, thermometer