The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default stoker and guru users thoughts?

for the teams that use these, what are your thoughts on IF power goes out overnight and you are sleeping?

and you lose your fire because all other vents are shut.

BTW, i love the stoker, but have been cooking without recently.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Valid concern.

A lot of teams use a battery jumpstart pack that will save you if this happens. Duracell makes one...search Amazon.

Unread 07-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

We'd just go back to manual temp control. Doubt there are many teams out there that couldn't cook without a stoker/guru if forced to.

Unread 07-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
We'd just go back to manual temp control. Doubt there are many teams out there that couldn't cook without a stoker/guru if forced to.
What if you were asleep when it happened?

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
zoogme
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You guys are still cooking overnight? JKing. Battery inverter to the vehicle will work perfect as backup. The stoker/guru should have plenty of power. My stoker setup is 3-22" WSMs

Hope this helps

Carl
Sweet Beaver BBQ
zoogme is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
What if you were asleep when it happened?
Honestly, we always had someone up overnight. If they slept, it was a quick 20 minute power nap. I think if power did go out, temps wouldnt be affected terribly before the power outage was noticed.

Now if we were a sleeping team, guess that would be a different situation entirely.

Unread 07-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Use a regular old computer UPS. If you lose power, you'll know it. And it will give you time to switch over to an alternate power supply if the outage will be for an extended time. We use one for our pellet pooper.

Unread 07-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
zoogme
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Use a regular old computer UPS. If you lose power, you'll know it. And it will give you time to switch over to an alternate power supply if the outage will be for an extended time. We use one for our pellet pooper.
That's a great idea!
zoogme is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't compete but being out in the country we see power go down overnight from time to time. I have one of those portable jumpstart battery packs that's got a 120V outlet on it.

Works perfect and is easy to lug around. Runs the fans all night with easy.

El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

A Duracell Powerpack 600 runs my Stoker all weekend without needing to be recharged.

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

They have a new stoker with wiFi built in. (although delayed) Is built in power next?

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I would think enough things would be affected by a power outage that someone would wake up pretty quickly. Fans / AC, neighbors too loud music, etc.

When cooking on my UDS's, I never worried about it, they were not airtight anyway as I used rubber magnets over my intake holes. Since I never slept over an hour, they were never going to lose enough heat that would seriously effect things before I could adjust.

Never ran one on the Pitmaker but thats another story altogether.

I don' think most of the teams that cook overnight really are concerned about it as it seems someone is usually up roaming around and peeking at the temp and as Crash said, cooking with out would not be an issue.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

thanks for the thoughts everyone.

i am a 2 person team. we need to sleepat least for a little bit. typically between 12A or so and 5A.

we use WSM's. if the stoker goes out we wouldn't notice, and the cooker would for sure lose it's fire.

i guess if that happened i'd have to look at IT make sure it's safe and gear up for some high heat cooking.

with the stoker i can be pretty confident in the temps while i sleep, but the fire could go out completely if soemthing goes wrong. without it, the temps may not be quite as stable, but i know the fire ain't gonna die. i guess it's which card i wanna play in the end.

thanks again, guys.

Unread 07-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is what I bought the other day for this purpose: Amazon.com: Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack 600 Jump Starter & Emergency Power Source with Radio: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lHOF4v6RL.@@AMEPARAM@@51lHOF4v6RL

It was recommended by other teams. It will run a stoker and a few other things on its own, and you can plug shore power into it and it will act as a UPS if the power goes out.

I do cook overnight and I am the only cook on my team, so I like to get a few hours of sleep. I usually sleep between 1am and 4am.

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i've had my eye on that exact farker for over a year! looks like a great tool.

but for this season i already got a new canopy and 2nd WSM 22.5.

NOW, i have to get the darned wifi stoker