MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Electric smoker questions

I just have a few questions about how electric smokers work:

Do they have adjustible air inlets like stick burners do?

How important is airflow?

Do they run as hot as a stick burner?

Do they need the same ventilation or can they be used indoors?

How do the results compare to other types of smokers?

I'm asking because I saw Home Depot had a good sized electric smoker for $80 and I was thinking of getting it.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
purplestarrider
Full Fledged Farker

I have 2 electric smokers. I just got the new one once because it has 2 things i think the first one was lacking. Both of mine are MES 30" the first is an analog. what i don't like about it is that it has a small hole for the air venting. and the second is it has a control knob so you have to play with it to get the temps right.

My new one is the MES digital. it has air venting system that i can open and close and beable to help control the temp. Also it has a digital temp. so i jsut type in the temp i want. it comes close. then i jsut adjust the venting like i do with my offset.

No you can't do it in the house. I think that airflow may not make as much of a difference as it does on the offset but i will say i am liking having an option on mine now.

I think the most important thing is to get the brand and find out because i know some are really easy to work with and others
are not.

That is just my $.02

Tags
advice, electric, home depot, smoker