The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First time brisket - advice?

Going to do brisket for the first time this week. It will likely be just my wife and I so I was thinking of just buying a flat, what do you guys think?

Also, any rub recommendations? I plan to inject low sodium beef broth.

Any recommendations/advice would be much appreciated.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
jasonjax
is one Smokin' Farker

My only recommendation would be to keep your expectations LOW knowing that this is a tough piece of meat to perfect!

I'd personally keep the rub kind of simple for the beefy flavor of brisket and use something along the lines of salt/pepper/garlic, but this is really your taste preference.

I also think just the flat versus a packer is the way to go for your first cook.

Just my $.02
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I would do a packer or you will be missing out on the best part as far as I am concerned. The 2 parts together make beautiful music together.

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Go with the packer and don't go just by temperature alone, check it by sticking a probe in the meat until it goes in easily.

Cook it fat side down and when it is done, foil it and let it rest in a cooler for an hour or more.

Then enjoy your work after!
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Brian in Maine
is One Chatty Farker

Coat it with Worstershire, (sp) then apply your rub. (I like the Slabs Wow Up Your Cow. Bring your smoker up to 250* and put on the flat to smoke. (I use 3 fist sized chunks of hickory in my WSMs.) I wrap with 1/4 cup of liquid at 165* internal. then at 190 I start probing for that knife into warm butter feel. Let rest for at least 1 hr. Good luck.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Skip the worcestershire! The brisket can handle the flavoring portion of the event all by itself.

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

i am doing my first brisket today as well. i used a lot of the advice from this thread. it is a great tutorial for noobs like us: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882 . i used montreal steak seasoning as my rub with a little extra black pepper and it has been on for a little under 6 hours now and is looking good. the bark isn't as dark as i thought it would be as it is at 160 now and is plateauing. i think i won't wrap it now because i would like the bark darker. i am also thinking of adding some turbinado sugar, or is it too late? also i have the fat cap up because i was hoping when it renders it would baste the meat and in the tutorial is says to leave it down to act as a heat shield but i have a drip pan under the briskie so that would act as a good heat shield, right? i dont mean to hijack the thread for my brisket but i think the answers to these questions are pertinent to your situation too jaskew. I will let you know how mine turns out and will post pron

Unread 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good luck on your first... I like packers, but also started with just flats. Depending on your smoker, fat cap can go up or down; I personally don't think it bastes that meat.

I would guess the Montreal seasoning won't work the same as a typical rub, as it's meant generally for steaks in smaller amounts and for faster cooking. There's no sugar in it, like most rubs will have.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

I know you don't have time to get this suff for a cook this week but Kosmos Beef injection with a 50/50 combo of The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style and Original Rub. Ultimate beef combo!

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Have plenty of beer available
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

good luck on your first cook... My preference is a packer over a flat, the flats can be hard to cook and easier to make leather out of them IMO... Get a packer trim the excess fat and the hard fat in between point and flat, rub with kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and some garlic powder, throw on smoker at 225 to 250. THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE:
DONT BE IN A HURRY IT WILL GET DONE WHEN ITS DONE!! WHEN THE PROBE GOES IN THE FLAT WITH LITTLE RESISTANCE. Pull off and wrap in foil when done and let rest in a cooler for about an hour then enjoy!! Keep us posted with pron.... Smoke on Brother!!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I ended up picking up a 4.11lbs flat from Costco. Called a butcher, Costco and BJs and none had a whole packer. My local grocery store butcher said "What's whole packer, never heard of it".

Kill me... Sometimes living where I do makes BBQ difficult!!

Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quick question... how long should I expect a 4lb flat to take? I have seen 60 minutes per lb but that just seems WAY to short of time for brisket. I figure if I put it on around 7am it should be ready for the cooler around 3pm and serving at 6. Do you agree?

Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Another vote for doing a full packer. You can go simple with course black pepper and kosher salt or kick it up a notch with a complex rub - either will taste great.

Do make sure to use the point meat to make burnt ends - this is truly the best part (as Johnny_Crunch said). I recommend cooking both flat and point together unseparated. Before you wrap, separate the point from the flat using the back of a knife - wear some insulated rubber gloves. Chunk the point meat and add some additional rub (S&P or complex) and put back in the cooker to render down the fat while the flat continues to cook. Pull when the flat is done and enjoy. This link should help you identify the point/flat meat and how to separate them: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1686128

Good luck!
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
Quick question... how long should I expect a 4lb flat to take? I have seen 60 minutes per lb but that just seems WAY to short of time for brisket. I figure if I put it on around 7am it should be ready for the cooler around 3pm and serving at 6. Do you agree?
I use 1.25 hours per lb on full packers @ 225 degrees. It all depends how constant your cooker is w/re. to temp & how many times you open it up to check the progress. Use a minimum of 1.25 and a max of 1.5 and you'll be fine. Make sure to add at least an hour to rest. If it gets done early you can leave it in the foil and wrap with towels to keep the heat in until you serve.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote