Fish Sauce

I am trying to make that happen. Red Boat is the best I have tried, I hope you guys PMed Rob.

Wow, great response on Red Boat fish sauce. I'll have to run a half price brethren special on our website next month. I have spent the last six months with my business Partner Cuong Pham working on launching Red Boat fish sauce and it has become a labor of love. If you all have been wondering where I have been, I have been across Asia and the States building our factory and brand.

Red is the first authentic Vietnamese fish sauce to make it to these shores since the 1970s when the Vietnam war resulted in a trade embargo causing the Chinese and Thais to start making highly processed fish sauce to fill the gap. All fish sauces in the States today with exception of Thai Kitchen, are made with third and fourth pressing of anchovies with water, MSG, hydrolyzed wheat proteins and sugar added for flavor.

To make Red Boat we use an artisanal process that is 200 years old. We work with local fisherman in Phu Quoc Island Vietnam. Wild caught anchovies caught at specific times of year are salted with local sea salt minutes after leaving the waters off the island. We then place them in 10 foot high hand made tropical wood barrels that hold 14,000 lbs of fish, and slow ferment them at ambient tropical temperatures and humidity for 12-16 months. We then do barrel tastings, open the tap on the best barrels, blend, filter and bottle. It is extra-virgin, with Zero water, additives, sugar, or preservatives. Red Boat has more than double the naturally fermented protein content of the processed versions and it shows in umami levels. If you have ever heard of umami, or savoriness, this stuff is off the charts in it!

SouthEast Asian cuisine, especially Vietnamese cuisine is hot right now and educated food folk like the Brethren are looking more and more to exotic ingredients to boost flavor profiles of their foods. I think you guys will be blown away by this sauce. I'll post again when I get a promotional code going for Brethren and also plan to do a recipe contest. Because of the overwhelming demand for free samples I'm upping it to the first 10 PMs...

Interesting that you mentioned Rome Gore, I am now using fish sauce in many things, including tomato sauces and salad dressings. Of course, the use of salted fish is nothing new, the Romans use a similar product a long time ago as well.

I know you know your food history, Bob. But while ancient Roman cuisine did rely on a fish sauce -- I believe it was at Pompeii they had one of the larger factories, they did not have tomato sauce. I think that sounds like a wonderful combination. I don't suppose you've tried it in ice cream.

No, and yes, I know they did not, I was just giving a hint to what it could be used for. The actual eating of tomatoes traces to a much later period of time. I have not tried it on ice cream. But, I might. No, that isn't true, I have limits.

Guy's, this is the equivalent of an Artisan, Extra Virgin, First Pressed, quality olive oil. I can see that in the description of the process.

Wow, great response on Red Boat fish sauce. I'll have to run a half price brethren special on our website next month. I have spent the last six months with my business Partner Cuong Pham working on launching Red Boat fish sauce and it has become a labor of love. If you all have been wondering where I have been, I have been across Asia and the States building our factory and brand.

Red is the first authentic Vietnamese fish sauce to make it to these shores since the 1970s when the Vietnam war resulted in a trade embargo causing the Chinese and Thais to start making highly processed fish sauce to fill the gap. All fish sauces in the States today with exception of Thai Kitchen, are made with third and fourth pressing of anchovies with water, MSG, hydrolyzed wheat proteins and sugar added for flavor.

To make Red Boat we use an artisanal process that is 200 years old. We work with local fisherman in Phu Quoc Island Vietnam. Wild caught anchovies caught at specific times of year are salted with local sea salt minutes after leaving the waters off the island. We then place them in 10 foot high hand made tropical wood barrels that hold 14,000 lbs of fish, and slow ferment them at ambient tropical temperatures and humidity for 12-16 months. We then do barrel tastings, open the tap on the best barrels, blend, filter and bottle. It is extra-virgin, with Zero water, additives, sugar, or preservatives. Red Boat has more than double the naturally fermented protein content of the processed versions and it shows in umami levels. If you have ever heard of umami, or savoriness, this stuff is off the charts in it!

SouthEast Asian cuisine, especially Vietnamese cuisine is hot right now and educated food folk like the Brethren are looking more and more to exotic ingredients to boost flavor profiles of their foods. I think you guys will be blown away by this sauce. I'll post again when I get a promotional code going for Brethren and also plan to do a recipe contest. Because of the overwhelming demand for free samples I'm upping it to the first 10 PMs...

HA! I get BEEACHED at for 60 day dry aged streaks!!! UNTRIMMED!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

missed it!

will look forward to the sale though! i love vietnamese food and am always looking for a new way to introduce asian influence in my cooking.

What would be the best way to compare vs other brands? Not sure doing a shot of each side by side would sit well. We normally use it in Thai cooking and although I can definitely tell if fish sauce wasn't used(we run out sometimes) - I'm not sure the subtleties would shine through with the coconut and spices.

I'm gonna shoot you an order on the website; I have patience issues and a short attention span so waiting for the sale is just not gonna happen!:p

We now have ten folks who will receive their free sample of Red Boat fish sauce! I promise to get a promotion code going in August for Brethren to order off our website. I can't wait to hear how you all use it in BBQ and beyond.

I thought I would throw in a few pics of Phu Quoc Island and our plant.
To start: The fermenting facility with hand made barrels and ladder. Note: That ladder is not Brethren Compliant.:p

Attachments

• Red Boat Plant Single Barrel Plus Ladder.jpg
    Red Boat Plant Single Barrel Plus Ladder.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 246
Back