MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Gadragonfly
Full Fledged Farker

Default Judging at Rancho Cordova

A couple of weeks ago when I posted a thread on the upcoming contest in Rancho Cordova several tongue-in-cheek comments were made about packing our 9's because the judges out there didn't have any and "real judges" coming out. This past weekend we judged with some very caring and thoughtful judges in Rancho Cordova. All but two of the judges were CBJs and every one understood the importance of taking their job of judging seriously. Empahsis was made on the amount of time and money the teams have invested in the contest and the importance of the judges' scores. Kathleen and Kelly McIntosh were fantastic reps and during the judges meeting they made sure we all understood there was a difference between perfect and excellent (9 being excellent) bbq.

While the judges in California do not have the opportunity that we have (judging every weekend if we'd like), they, none the less, are good judges and deserve the respect of the teams. As in every contest you might experience that "judge #6" but the other 5 judges at the table are giving fair and well thought out scores. You should all be proud.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it
Julie
Gadragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

That is definitely good to hear. Not sure if it is a coincidence, but this was one of the highest scoring contests in NorCal ever. My story is that you did, in fact, pack those 9s and were very generous with your distribution! LOL j/k

I know we have some very good judges that take control of their table and make sure the more novice judges are well informed and I think things will only get better over time.

The actual scores don't really matter as long as everyone is being judged in the same way.

Glad you guys enjoyed your experience with Northern California BBQ!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadragonfly View Post
Kathleen and Kelly McIntosh were fantastic reps
I heartily concur. After eighty-some contests, we've cooked under a few different reps, and I can say without reservation that K&K are among the very best.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice to have met you two. Thanks for spending some of your vacation with us.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Next year I'm packing my "9's", the Glock and the Kimber. That was one rough crowd once the sun went down!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote