The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks Bojizzle! ;-)
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #32
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey
That's a $19 cocktail in New York City

Grandad and his brothers worked 40+ years for the railroad. After they retired, we'd camp at his place once a summer with his old railroad buddies. They'd simmer a clod in an old cast iron pot with water, beer, and bacon drippings from the breakfast table, right over the campfire all day long. Finished them off on a spit with crushed rock salt and peppercorns. When that puppy was done, you got it cut to order with a couple slices of white bread and a chunk of home-grown tomato straight from the garden. I never did get to sample that clear-lookin' sauce in the mason jar by the horseshoe pit, but it must've been good, cause the old timers would drink it straight from the jar!

Good times...

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #33
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
Great read T thx for the info brotha
They are looking for no sauced pull away from the bone basically salt and pepper and heavy smoke, they didn't like anything that was sauced(I wasn't the only one that figured this out after) this is what I leaned on my last comp I did at a IBCA sanctioned comp where the head judges husband took second place
From what I've read and talking to others that compete, ribs for TX comps. can vary. Some judges like dry, some like em sauced. From what I've seen a lot of people put a light glaze on the ribs. Ribs must be tender to get a decent sample, other wise you are shaking the whole table trying to get slice a piece of rib off.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #34
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
From what I've read and talking to others that compete, ribs for TX comps. can vary. Some judges like dry, some like em sauced. From what I've seen a lot of people put a light glaze on the ribs. Ribs must be tender to get a decent sample, other wise you are shaking the whole table trying to get slice a piece of rib off.

Well it might have been my off the street judges cause everyone that light glazed were the redheaded stepchild out of 75 teams. Just try it man see how it turns out, just cause it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont for you brotha. You hear there building a Trader Joes in SA man ?

Unread 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #35
frohe
Full Fledged Farker

If you can't beat em, join em.

Unread 03-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #36
frohe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from.
I'm not into comps, but I was taught by my Daddy that you want to cook your ribs til they're "toothy". That being the meat will easily free from the bone when you bite the rib and give it a slight tug. He told me "fall off the bone" was overcooked.

If you can't use plasticware to get rib meat off the bone, you need to find something else to do with your time.

Unread 03-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Oh thanks so much that was great! I kinda see your right... for instance, if my brisket was sliced pencil thin it WOULD fall apart but at half and inch to 3'4 it holds together.

As a reward.....

take one jalapeno and make a slit in it and add to a cup of water and microwave until very hot... let the pepper steep a bit then discard.

Add one packet of theraflu and equal parts of

Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey

Make sure there is a couch nearby and sweat it out.

I've got cough syrup with codeine. I'm good...loopy, but good.....

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #38
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

The knowledge and personalities on this forum truly amaze me some times!!!

Thanks PitmasterT...and every one else for sharing their tidbits of info!!!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #39
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
Well it might have been my off the street judges cause everyone that light glazed were the redheaded stepchild out of 75 teams. Just try it man see how it turns out, just cause it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont for you brotha. You hear there building a Trader Joes in SA man ?
You must have had some old school judges.

I placed 17th of 40 teams in Schertz last fall in ribs. I glazed using head country and a secret ingredient.

At the SA rodeo cook off, about 75% of the ribs that came across my table were glazed. I think glazing helps add another layer (or 2) of flavor to your ribs that you can't get with just dry rubbed ribs. At home I like them either way, so long as they are not over glazed.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #40
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I sure love Big Maybelle Smith and her "Candy"

Unread 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #41
ROF, Texas
On the road to being a farker

Ribs are my worst catagory and I have to believe it is a evident by the input in this thread. Texas is a big state and I feel that regionally, across the state, styles differ. We cooked an IBCA comp. 2 weeks ago and I had the opportunity to spend some time with the local IBCA rep in the Houston area. I personally directed the conversations towards ribs. He did confirm that IBCA does NOT allow biting into a ribs; plastic fork and knife, which is supported above. He also stated that he was seeing a wet (not pooling) and sweet rib winning. I tried to sweeten my ribs with a maple sugar/habenero glaze. Got 1st in brisket 3rd in chicken and reserve grand. Ribs made it to the final table. Still confused .

Unread 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #42
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I sure love Big Maybelle Smith and her "Candy"
It's good stuff!

I used it in place of some Jessica Alba and James Brown when I wrapped some ribs in foil. Yeah I know, foil, but I was trying something for a competition practice.
FattyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMac View Post
It's good stuff!

I used it in place of some Jessica Alba and James Brown when I wrapped some ribs in foil. Yeah I know, foil, but I was trying something for a competition practice.

I forgot what I said Jessica Alba was. Can someone add it to the sheet sheet data base on Popdaddy Legends?

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #44
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Good Ole Chapter Nine.

Unread 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #45
DUBBAGA
is one Smokin' Farker

T is a witch (or would that be warlock??)... burn him

UDS, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker, Blue Ember Gasser, Weber Performer

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM! (GoFundMe link)

EPIC BIGMISTA KICKSTARTER/GoFundMe THREAD (link)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote